Need help to find a pocketable as near dslr quality camera as possible.

Started Sep 9, 2010 | Discussions
KaliKali
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Need help to find a pocketable as near dslr quality camera as possible.
Sep 9, 2010

Here is what I currently own:

Canon 5d Mark2 (many lenses)
Canon 40d
Canon g11
Canon sd450

I recently purchased the g11 and although many have raved about the quality, it isnt near what I was expecting. I have been spoiled with the 5d and want as near quality to that as I can.

Here is what I am looking for in a pocketable camera:

zoom lense
hd video

pocketable (this is a must, I plan on carrying it daily and use it for traveling)
very good image quality (very important)
decent fps

I have looked into the Leicas lux4 (some say overpriced) still an option. The Gf1 is too big even with the pancake non zoom lense. I read somewhere the gf2 might be smaller and released soon. I do like the new Canon s95 but I was told it is the same sensor as the g11 that I currently have, which isnt really impressive (or maybe I just have a bad g11).

Any suggestions?

I wouldnt mind spending up to $1,000. Is there such a product out there now/ being released soon or am I just dreaming?

KaliKali
Like?
Re: Need help to find a pocketable as near dslr quality camera as possible.
In reply to KaliKali, Sep 9, 2010

Sorry for the grammar errors above, I couldnt re-edit in time.

There are many discrepancies as far as pocket sizes are concerned. I am looking for a camera to fit in my front jean pocket.

Thanks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,271Gear list
Like?
I am looking for a camera to fit in my front jean pocket.

KaliKali wrote:

I am looking for a camera to fit in my front jean pocket.

I buy mine to take pictures.

Why not get some jeans to take the 5D ?
--

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Jens_G
Contributing MemberPosts: 709
Like?
Sony Nex 5

Sony NEX 5.
Nothing comes close.

Urbanito
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,024Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony Nex 5
In reply to Jens_G, Sep 9, 2010

Sony Nex 5 is not pocketable and IMO, there are better cameras of that type, like Olympus EPs and Panasonics.
For me, a very good pocketable camera will be Panasonic LX5, or Canon P95.
Best wishes.

Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,427
Like?

If a GF1 is too big and the G11 is not good enough you are pretty much out of luck. The NEX5 with a zoom is harder to fit into a pocket than the GF1 with a pancake.

There are rumors that Nikon is working on an ILC with a sensor that splits the difference bwtween APS-C and compact cameras. But you cannot buy a rumor.

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,313Gear list
Like?

KaliKali wrote:

Here is what I currently own:

Canon 5d Mark2 (many lenses)
Canon 40d
Canon g11
Canon sd450

I recently purchased the g11 and although many have raved about the quality, it isnt near what I was expecting. I have been spoiled with the 5d and want as near quality to that as I can.

The 5D2 and it's peers will spoil one. For my satisfaction I've found that ยต4/3 and the LX3/Dlux4 require forgiveness. That is, at 100% on screen they're for the most part disappointing in comparison. But with good developing of RAW, and viewing the finished product at practical sizes/distances (on screen the largest would be about 75%, prints just need to be viewed practically), one can find satisfaction.

But pocketable is relative. I can fit the LX3/Dlux4 in a jeans pocket, but it's a squeeze. Something like the s90/s95 might be what you want. I've only heard good things about them, but they are more pocketable than the LX3.

It took some time for me to accept less than 5D2 IQ. But in reality, lesser sensors pretty much equal the state of the art sensors of several years ago (which we accepted because there was no better). A bit of perspective is required to go smaller than the 5D2. I've come to enjoy the challenge of getting something respectable from "inferior" gear (again, in comparison [g]).

For whatever that's worth, best of luck in your quest.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

'Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't.' - Little Big Man

http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Jon Rty
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,838
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Sep 9, 2010

As someone already said if the G11 doesn't have good enough IQ then there's not much left out there, as they best P&S are about on the same level. The Canon S95 has comparable IQ and is noticeably smaller.

If you want to have better IQ, then next step up is the NEX-5 with the pancake. It's the smallest and it's got the best sensor of all mirror-less cameras at the moment. Another option is to wait until after Photokina to see if Nikon launches their rumored 2.5x crop camera, which should be the smallest yet.

KaliKali
Like?
In reply to Jon Rty, Sep 10, 2010

Thank you for all responses. I saw the Nex-5 at the Sony store today and wow that camera blew me away! With the 18-55 lense it felt so good in my hand, yes there are a few draw backs to it but a great in between camera. Unfortunately it isnt pocketable but I loved everything about the camera and might get it a few months down the line. But for now I need something I can throw in my pocket and after seeing all the reviews on youtube for the s95, I will most likely go that route.

Thanks again..

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dave Lively, Sep 10, 2010

Dave Lively wrote:

If a GF1 is too big and the G11 is not good enough you are pretty much out of luck. The NEX5 with a zoom is harder to fit into a pocket than the GF1 with a pancake.

Carry a Nex 5 with the 16mm pancake in one pocket and a zoom in the other

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
PaulRivers
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,414
Like?
In reply to Dave Lively, Sep 10, 2010

Dave Lively wrote:

There are rumors that Nikon is working on an ILC with a sensor that splits the difference bwtween APS-C and compact cameras. But you cannot buy a rumor.

Yes. The s95 is the best camera you can easily fit in your front pocket that's currently available. The image quality will be about the same as the G11, though. But nowadays, that's as good as it gets in a camera that size. Nothing short of micro 4/3rds has substantially better image quality. Bigger cameras like the LX5 have some more features (most importantly better low-light apertures after you start zooming), but not any better resolution and fitting it in your pocket is jeans pocket is way harder - you can wedge it in there, but don't try sitting down that way, lol.

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?
In reply to KaliKali, Sep 10, 2010

Olympus e-p1 with the Pana 20mm f1.7.

Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
try LOMOGRAPHY
In reply to KaliKali, Sep 11, 2010

yes,some brilliant minds are supporting the idea of Lomography.It will solve most of your photography problems [IT'S DIRT CHEAP TOO] .It only has a one minor problem,your photos will look very much like LOMOGRAPHY. Good Luck.
--
Berghof G.C.

KaliKali
Like?
gf2
In reply to Berghof, Apr 21, 2011

An update to this thread, I went through quite a few cameras to find what I was looking for. The g11 and s 95 did nothing for me, I picked up the gf2 last week with the panny 14mm lense, and I am blown away by the quality. I have ordered the 20mm 1.7, but it is on back order. Thanks to everyone for the advice....

draganflyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,247
Like?
In reply to Urbanito, Apr 21, 2011

Sorry...disagree completely. the Nex 5 with the 16mm lens is very much pocketable, and the image quality, especially in low light/high ISO superior to both the Olympus and the pannys

Urbanito wrote:

Sony Nex 5 is not pocketable and IMO, there are better cameras of that type, like Olympus EPs and Panasonics.
For me, a very good pocketable camera will be Panasonic LX5, or Canon P95.
Best wishes.

jeffsvisions
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227Gear list
Like?
Re: gf2
In reply to KaliKali, Apr 21, 2011

have you looked at the samsung nx100 yet looks pretty good--
Keep on shooting!
New York
Jeff

RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to draganflyer, Apr 21, 2011

go back and read the OPs requirements -- zoom was specified. so even if the Sony fits in a pocket with the pancake, it is not a zoom, and thus won't meet the OPs stated needs.
--
RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to RaymondR, Apr 21, 2011

unless of course the OP ends up changing those requirements, which is apparently what happened. nevermind.
--
RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads