1ds mk II maximum memory card?

Started Sep 2, 2010 | Discussions
Knackerman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,446
Like?
1ds mk II maximum memory card?
Sep 2, 2010

Hi

I own two 4 gb CF cards that I use with my 1ds mk II, but now I have an assignment to shoot a cat-walk event and I am afraid of running out of room during the event.

In other words I need to buy a bigger card (or two) to supplement what I've already use, but I haven't really bought any cards for it since I bought the camera.

Technology moves on, so I am unsure on what I can use in my camera these days.

Any tips?

Regards

K

-- hide signature --
Charles Scheffold
Regular MemberPosts: 218
Like?
Re: 1ds mk II maximum memory card?
In reply to Knackerman, Sep 2, 2010

I'm fairly certain you won't have any problems with larger memory cards, as long as you have the latest firmware (1.1.6). Canon released an update some time last year that allows both larger CF and SD cards for the 1Ds Mark II:

http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/eos1dsm2/eos1dsmk2_firmware-e.html

My suggestion - if possible, borrow one from a friend and try it out before you buy. In my experience, I've had the best of luck with 4GB and 8GB cards. Anything bigger and you are kind of "putting all of your eggs in one basket" if you know what I mean. Just my opinion, but in any case there shouldn't be any major compatibility issues.

thanks
Charles

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Knackerman
Like?
In reply to Charles Scheffold, Sep 2, 2010

Ah ok thank you, I'll check my firmware when I get home.

I use Sandisk Extreme (I think i use extreme II, need to check).

Was thinking about buying one or two 8 gb cards (I use the 4 gb's exactly to avoid having all the photos on one card and under normal circumstances it works fine).

Do you know if there may be problems using the extreme III and extreme IV etc versions (As I understand, this is related to writing speed, so in my head, this should normally not cause an issue....maybe ).

Thanks for the informative answer, I'll check the firmware when I get home for sure.

Regards

K

-- hide signature --
peterbosox
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Firmware Question
In reply to Charles Scheffold, Sep 2, 2010

If you are 2 versions behind the newest firmware, do you have to load both versions of updated firmware? Or just the latest?

Charles Scheffold
Like?
Latest version
In reply to peterbosox, Sep 2, 2010

You load the latest version - no need for the older ones.

Knackerman
Like?
Re: Firmware Question
In reply to peterbosox, Sep 2, 2010

On the page linked above, it states that the latest firmware includes the previous ones, so you only have to flash the camera with the latest version.

Regards

K

-- hide signature --
Charles Scheffold
Like?

I honestly can't keep track of SanDisk's speed designations at this point

There should be no problem using a faster/newer CF card in an older camera. You just won't see the increased speed benefits so it might be a waste of money unless you plan to upgrade the camera soon. For example, if you use a UDMA enabled card in an older camera it will just use the PIO (=slower) modes instead.

AFAIK, all current and proper CF cards are designed to be backwards compatible.

WalterSrChat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,056Gear list
Like?

Knackerman wrote:

Ah ok thank you, I'll check my firmware when I get home.

I use Sandisk Extreme (I think i use extreme II, need to check).

Was thinking about buying one or two 8 gb cards (I use the 4 gb's exactly to avoid having all the photos on one card and under normal circumstances it works fine).

Do you know if there may be problems using the extreme III and extreme IV etc versions (As I understand, this is related to writing speed, so in my head, this should normally not cause an issue....maybe ).

The 8GB Scandisk Extreme III worked in my 1Ds Mark II.

Walter SR

Thanks for the informative answer, I'll check the firmware when I get home for sure.

Regards

K

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

I am out to take the perfect picture, if it exits!

WalterSrChat's gear list:WalterSrChat's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +3 more
Tom Tran
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

I use 8GIG CF cards and 16gig SDHC cards (from different manufacture) on my 1ds mk2 and it work perfect. I update to latest firmware.

Scales USA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,119
Like?

I've used 8gb cards on mine, I would not expect any problem with up to 64 gb. 8GB is plenty large for the MK II though.

Knackerman
Like?
Thank you all

I bought a 8 GB extreme (60 mb/s udma?) card from Sandisk (my other cards from Sandisk has been working flawlessly for 3 years).

Thank you all for the pointers, good to know that the camera isn't totally lost in the computer race just yet.

K

-- hide signature --
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,327
Like?
At least 16GB

I'm using 16 GB Compact Flash and SDHC cards in my 1DsII. Don't know about higher.

I also use a pair of 8GB cards in my 1DIIn.

Both setups provide about 800 or so raw captures. Mine are also setup for backup mode, so that I have two copies of each exposure. My PC reads SDHC much faster than CF, so that's the card I actually use for transfer. The CF is strictly backup.

Knackerman wrote:

Hi

I own two 4 gb CF cards that I use with my 1ds mk II, but now I have an assignment to shoot a cat-walk event and I am afraid of running out of room during the event.

In other words I need to buy a bigger card (or two) to supplement what I've already use, but I haven't really bought any cards for it since I bought the camera.

Technology moves on, so I am unsure on what I can use in my camera these days.

Any tips?

Regards

K

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Michael Thomas Mitchell

James S
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?

When the firmware for the cameras was updated for larger Compact Flash and sdhc it was supposed to mean that the SDHC limits are imposed and for the CF cards the limit is supposed to be well beyond anything being offered now (some theoretical limit). So you can pick up any size CF card and use it. The speed of the card is really up to your desire to future proof the card and of course if you have a fast card reader the speed of the CF card will help with faster down loads. I use a San Disk firewire 800 card reader and it is very fast so I've stopped having to go for a snack when downloading.
--
--
James S

gomcse
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to James S, Oct 2, 2012

I am unable to use a 64Gig SCT XC card with my EOS 1ds Mk II. Anyone know if there is an actual printed limit? I don't want to go buy a 32gig card if it's not going to work either.

Thanks,
Dave

nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,454Gear list
Like?
In reply to gomcse, Oct 2, 2012

I've never been able to format a 32 GB SD card in a 1DII (which I'd guess is similar). They work after being formatted in another camera. I haven't had issues with 16 GB cards formatting or using though the space left number is usually off. Every 8 GB CF card I've tried works well (format, use, and space remaining). I've never noticed a speed difference between class 4, 6 and 10 cards nor all 15-30mb/s on CF cards. So I usually just buy the cheap, slow ones.

I've heard, but not tested, that SD cards smaller than 2 GB are considerably faster than larger SD cards, but I haven't gotten any to test. It takes quite a while to clear a full buffer with large cards (5x times as long as with any size CF card).

Roonal_Z
Contributing MemberPosts: 518
Like?
In reply to nelsonal, Oct 3, 2012

nelsonal wrote:

I've never been able to format a 32 GB SD card in a 1DII (which I'd guess is similar).

I've formatted Sandisk 32gb CF & SDHC in my 1DMkII with no apparent problem and formatted/used them in my 1DsMkII.

-- hide signature --

Good Day,
Roonal

Roonal_Z
Contributing MemberPosts: 518
Like?
In reply to gomcse, Oct 3, 2012

gomcse wrote:

I am unable to use a 64Gig SCT XC card with my EOS 1ds Mk II. Anyone know if there is an actual printed limit?

I don't want to go buy a 32gig card if it's not going to work either.

I use Sandisk 32GB CF & SDHC in my 1DsMkII with no problem other than the SD slot not being particularly speedy. Never tried a 64GB card.

Regarding speed: From my testing with the cards I have, the slow down is with the SD slot.

-- hide signature --

Writing 10 RAW 1600 ISO files (time to red light going off):

My 30MB/s SDHC Sandisk 32GB Extreme HD Video is substantially slower than my 15MB/s SDHC Sandisk 16GB Ultra II - approx. 55sec vs approx. 40sec.

My 30Mb/s CF Sandisk Ultra 16GB takes approx. 23sec.

My 60Mb/s CF Sandisk Extreme 32GB gained me only approx. 3sec vs my 30Mb/s CF card.

--
Good Day,
Roonal

Shlomo Menashe
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Charles Scheffold, 9 months ago

Hi There

On the link that you supply

Before downloading the firmware they do ask for the camera serial #

for some reason it don't recognize mine ?

Any Idea what to do ?

Thank you: Shlomo

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads