EPL1 and Oly/Pana 14-150/140 lens

Started Sep 1, 2010 | Discussions
Clem Nichols
Contributing MemberPosts: 764Gear list
Like?
EPL1 and Oly/Pana 14-150/140 lens
Sep 1, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with the EPL1 and either of the above lenses? I'd like a travel camera with better IQ than possible with a P&S camera. I realize that the broader zoom range is not going to be quite as sharp as it would be with two different lenses covering the same range, but I don't want to start down that lens buying pathway again. I have a 7D and everything from 10 to 400 mm, and am not interested in investing several thousand more dollars in a camera system. Thanks for any feedback.
--
CN

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,411Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL1 and Oly/Pana 14-150/140 lens
In reply to Clem Nichols, Sep 1, 2010

Many discussions - you could do a search and find a lot. I had an epl1 (have an ep2 now) and owned both lenses. I kept the Oly 14-150 and returned the Pany 14-140. Both are great lenses, but there's a considerable size/weight difference, with the Oly feeling a lot lighter (which it is) and a lot smaller (which it really isn't - only a bit - but the perception is quite different). The Pany is a better video lens, if for no other reason, because of its lens based stabilization. The Oly is smaller and lighter partly because the stabilization is in the camera instead of the lens. The in-camera stabilization works just wonderfully for stills even out at 150mm, but it doesn't do much of anything when shooting video and the lens based stabilizers DO work during video. So, if video is a big part of your purchase, go with the Pany lens (and consider getting it as the kit lens on the Pany GH1, which is also really optimized for video). But if you're looking primarily for a still camera, I chose the Oly 14-150 and recommend it highly. I took a boatload of photographs on holiday in Europe this summer and the 14-150 was the backbone of my system, with the 9-18 along for wide angle work and a pancake for lower light/street shooting uses. But if I had to limit myself to one lens, it would be the 14-150. Or if two it would be the 14-150 and the Panasonic 20 for low light and prime work.

-Ray

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dansenor1
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
In reply to Clem Nichols, Sep 1, 2010

here is alink with shots I made with epl1 and 14/150, I think this is the best walkaround lens i've ever got

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=36103376

I think you'd need the evf to stabilize as soon as 100 mm

Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,461Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Sep 1, 2010

Ray Sachs wrote:

I took a boatload of photographs on holiday in Europe this summer and the 14-150 was the backbone of my system, with the 9-18 along for wide angle work and a pancake for lower light/street shooting uses. But if I had to limit myself to one lens, it would be the 14-150. Or if two it would be the 14-150 and the Panasonic 20 for low light and prime work.

-Ray

1. 1 - I agree with everything that Ray said about the Oly 14-150 (never had the Pana) and currently use it very happily with the EPL1 and the EP2.

2. 2 - Question for Ray - I am considering the same selection of lenses when we next travel (9-18, 14-150 and 20mm). My last trip was the kit 14-42, 20mm and the 4/3 40-150 w/adapter. Most of my shots (probably 85%) was with the 14-42. And while I like the idea of the 14-150, I don't know if I would feel comfortable with it (size wise) hanging around my neck/shoulder all the time. Too afraid to bang it into things. That is why I loved the collapsable kit lens. How did you feel with it?

Thanks, Steve

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
SaltLakeGuy
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,830Gear list
Like?
In reply to dansenor1, Sep 1, 2010

Everyone will present a different opinion no doubt. I happened to get a nice copy of the 14-140 as a walk around lens for the PL1. I've found it to be exemplary in all areas from the wide to tele end. What really surprised me was how accurate it tracks video in continuous focus mode on the PL1. Silent as well. A nice solid build which is very tight. Sure it weighs a bit more than the Oly but frankly mine is sharp at the long end as well. I think it is a good investment as a "all in one" lens. It tends to spend more time on the PL1 than my 4 other lenses.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Clem Nichols
Like?
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, Sep 1, 2010

Thanks to each of you for your reply. I'm not really interested in video, so I'll probably go with the Oly when I make the plunge. I had gotten the impression from imaging resource's review of the two lenses that there was less chromatic aberation with the Panasonic lens, but I think I could more easily spend a little more time with postprocessing than I could devote energy in carrying around the heavier lens. I'm guessing that the Panasonic lens would have more resale value because of the in-lens OS.
--
CN

Ray Sachs
Like?
In reply to Steven Wandy, Sep 1, 2010

Steven Wandy wrote:

1. 2 - Question for Ray - I am considering the same selection of lenses when we next travel (9-18, 14-150 and 20mm). My last trip was the kit 14-42, 20mm and the 4/3 40-150 w/adapter. Most of my shots (probably 85%) was with the 14-42. And while I like the idea of the 14-150, I don't know if I would feel comfortable with it (size wise) hanging around my neck/shoulder all the time. Too afraid to bang it into things. That is why I loved the collapsable kit lens. How did you feel with it?

Well, its all a matter of personal preference, tolerance, etc. Its definitely larger than the collapsable kit lens or the 9-18 or either pancake - no question about that. I tried the Pany 14-140 before the 14-150 became available and after half a day decided it wasn't for me for specifically this reason - bulk and weight at the end of the strap. I was dubious about the 14-150 but gave it a try and had no such feelings with that one. It feels far lighter, easier to carry on the camera, etc. But we all have different tolerance levels on this issue. SaltLakeGuy is really happy with his 14-140 on the epl1. I wasn't but am very happy with the 14-150. Other people might find anything larger than a pancake lens too unwieldy. How you or anyone else will react I don't know, but I know for ME it was no problem with the 14-150. I suggest finding it in a local shop and giving it a try. Or order one from a place with returns and send it back if you don't like it after a couple of days. For me, it was a pretty instantaneous thing - I knew pretty quickly I didn't like the size and weight of the 14-140 and just as quickly that I was fine with the 14-150. And spending a few hours walking around and shooting with both confirmed those initial impressions.

Visually, they're both very very good and I'd say great unless you're an obsessive pixel peeper. If you have a Pany body, the 14-140 is the clear choice because of the OIS. If you shoot a lot of video, the 14-140 is the clear choice because of the OIS. But if you have an Olympus camera and shoot mostly stills, I think the 14-150 is a pretty obvious choice.

-Ray

Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,461Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Sep 1, 2010

Ray Sachs wrote:

Ray - I already have the lens (really impressed with it so far) and using it on two Oly bodies (EPL1 and EP2). And I agree that for the range it gives the size/weight is very nice and does balance nice with the Pen bodies.

My concern (and this is me) would be how comfortable I would feel walking around with it hanging at my side. Not necessarily the weight, which is even much lighter than the 14-54 which was my favorite "all around" lens, but the fear of something/someone banging into it because it size and the amount it protrudes is still considerably more than either the kit lens or the 9-18, especially when they are collapsed. But thanks for your feelings about walking around with it. Will just have to try it out locally before we go on our next vacation.
Steve

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?

Steven Wandy wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

Ray - I already have the lens (really impressed with it so far) and using it on two Oly bodies (EPL1 and EP2). And I agree that for the range it gives the size/weight is very nice and does balance nice with the Pen bodies.

My concern (and this is me) would be how comfortable I would feel walking around with it hanging at my side. Not necessarily the weight, which is even much lighter than the 14-54 which was my favorite "all around" lens, but the fear of something/someone banging into it because it size and the amount it protrudes is still considerably more than either the kit lens or the 9-18, especially when they are collapsed. But thanks for your feelings about walking around with it. Will just have to try it out locally before we go on our next vacation.
Steve

. . . I just spent several hours with the 14-150 on my E-P2 this past weekend and I was OK with the weight and size of it for the most part. Having said that, I'm having a lot of trouble talking myself into selling my Panny 14-45 now that I have the 14-150. I may put off that decision for now and might just end up keeping both. It's almost an inch shorter in length but doesn't feel a lot lighter than the 14-150. I love that Panny lens though and just can't bring myself to let it go. When I know that I don't need the reach on the long end, I think it's going to remain my favorite until I can see more of what the Oly is capable of. I've seen some great results from the 14-150 in the hands of people like Ray but I also know I've been able to get some great results myself with the 14-45 back when I was using it on the GF1.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Ray Sachs
Like?

Well, I use a sling strap that hangs on my left shoulder, crosses my body and the camera sits on my right hip, ready to grab and raise up. And it attaches to a slider at the tripod socket, so the lens doesn't tend to stick out - its usually pointing fore or aft and I'll often keep it pointing forward with my hand in the general neighborhood. Sometimes my hand is in my pocket and so my writs/forearm sort of holds the camera in place. I'm not all that conscious of how I hold it, but I guess that's the point - with the heavier 14-140 and the longer and slightly heavier 45-200, I'm VERY aware of how its sitting and how I'm holding it to keep it from bouncing around. The fact that I don't really have to pay attention to the 14-150 tells me what I need to know about it. But, as with all things, put in some time with it and see what you think....

-Ray

compositor20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,560
Like?
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, Sep 1, 2010

picture is worth 1000 words

here it is olympus e-pl1 + 14-150mm and a 100% crop with raw in lightroom 3

sharpening 60 radius 1.2 mask 0
noise reduction luminance 40
others at default and clarity at 20 and black level at 2

lets hope tinypic doesnt mess up the image

this lens is excellent and very contrasty even at the long end and the corners are better than what i saw with earlyer samples

it is very light for a long zoom and it feels well balanced to e-pl1 and e-p1

it is well built and has better resistance to flare than lumix 20mm f1.7 (although this one is just a little sharper but almost no difference only at longer focal lenghts you will notice it)

much better than 14-42 m.zuiko kit lens (at wide angle and f3.5 is comparable but other than this fantastic setting the superzoom is much better and at portrait focal lenghts its much better with more defocus of background between 45 and 70 at 5.4 its shallower dof and still good contrast and sharpness )

very satisfied this is the lens to have and IBIS works good too but you msut handle with care it doenst do miracles but at 1/30 in low light you can handle it with sharp shots (relatively speaking) if you dont move your hands

by the way shutter speeds of 1/800 or 1/1000 or higher will reveal all its glory even at long end

if you want i will post more samples

this shot doesnt do it justice from what i see in lightroom it lacks the sharpness so i believe its the fault of tinypic. sorry for that but you can get an idea

Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
In reply to compositor20, Sep 1, 2010

compositor20 wrote:

it is very light for a long zoom and it feels well balanced to e-pl1 and e-p1

it is well built and has better resistance to flare than lumix 20mm f1.7 (although this one is just a little sharper but almost no difference only at longer focal lenghts you will notice it)

much better than 14-42 m.zuiko kit lens (at wide angle and f3.5 is comparable but other than this fantastic setting the superzoom is much better and at portrait focal lenghts its much better with more defocus of background between 45 and 70 at 5.4 its shallower dof and still good contrast and sharpness )

very satisfied this is the lens to have and IBIS works good too but you msut handle with care it doenst do miracles but at 1/30 in low light you can handle it with sharp shots (relatively speaking) if you dont move your hands

by the way shutter speeds of 1/800 or 1/1000 or higher will reveal all its glory even at long end

. . . Thanks. Your photo is remarkable. Yeah I think that the IQ is good with the 14-150 but still maybe not quite as good as the Panny 14-45 which may be the best standard kit zoom of them all including all the DSLR offerings. I'm not a huge pixel peeper so the IQ difference may not be enough to matter for me. Like I said, the size and weight of the 14-150 seemed pretty good as well.

. . . When I was using the 14-45 on a GF1, I had the EVF which was a very comfortable setup when shooting. Right now, I don't yet have the VF-2 to use with my E-P2 and 14-150 combo and it's not a comfortable experience when shooting for me, especially when composing a shot at 150 mm. I was trying to see if I could get used to just using the LCD this past weekend and I'm convinced now that the EVF is a must and will get one as soon as I can afford it. I need to be able to cradle the lens in my left hand while bracing my left elbow on my chest in order to feel comfortable and steady enough to concentrate better on composition and settings without feeling uncomfortable and distracted by the arms extended LCD style shooting that I have been doing recently with this set up.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
compositor20
Like?
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, Sep 2, 2010

unfortunately i cant post the portraits i took today of my motehr and father in the beach with off camera flash fl-36r and 14-150mm with e-pl1 because they are fantastic!

according to dpreview lens test the panasonic is better at corners at 14mm and the olympus is better at 25mm in all frame and at 45mm (portrait) they seem equal with olympus just a little better in the center and panasonic in the corners and with the olympus you get the range till 150mm and i can guarantee you that the quality is just as good till 70 so this is more like a 14-70 with a usable and good 100mm and 150mm if you want it

Clem Nichols
Like?
In reply to compositor20, Sep 2, 2010

This looks very sharp to me. Right now I'm considering the epl1 with the 14-150 vs. getting a long zoom such as the Tamron 18-270 for use with my 7D. Both would be a one camera/one lens solution to travel photography vs a large sling bag and several lenses. Obviously the 7D approach would weigh almost 3 times as much, and I can't believe there would be that much difference in the IQ I'd be able to obtain, although it would be considerably less expensive. I recently purchased a Panasonic ZS3 which is OK for 4 x 6 prints and possibly up to 8 x 10's when shooting wide angle and macro. Otherwise I'm just not satisfied, and I guess I'm just a little concerned that after shooting with some of Canon's L lenses I may find either of the two above approaches unsatisfactory as well. What I've seen of the epl's performance in Imaging Resource's comparometer, however, has been quite impressive.
--
CN

compositor20
Like?
In reply to Clem Nichols, Sep 2, 2010

i have bought my e-pl1+ 14-150mm for 700 euros (andorrafreemarket that was the record price in europe and im very satisfied... i believe you will like the quality since at pixel level things are very sharp and have contrast too like you canon images

Ray Sachs
Like?
In reply to Clem Nichols, Sep 2, 2010

You could carry an epl1 and the 14-150 and have your one camera one lens solution, but you could add a 9-18 and a 20 and carry them in the smallest pocket of whatever travel bag you're carrying around, or in cargo pants pockets if you're carrying no bag. The 9-18 and 20 are both so small and light its almost silly not to add them if you can. You're not talking a separate sling bag for them at all. Or if your wife is bringing a purse, stick the extra little lenses in there. I traveled all over the Mediterranean in July with this basic setup. I used the 14-150 the bulk of the time, but used the 9-18 often enough for some wide angle shots I couldn't have gotten any other way and I'd sometimes stick the 20 on for unobtrusive street shooting and for low light situations. The beauty of m43 is that you can carry a couple of extra lenses without giving it much of a thought because they're so small and light.

But, whatever you decide, the 14-150 is a fine starting point and, if necessary, ending point too.

-Ray

Sobasan
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Sep 6, 2010

Hi Ray,

Just bought myself an E-PL1 and the 14-150mm lens. I noticed that there are a fair bit of flare when the light source is a the right upper corner of the screen.

Worst when wide open and reduced somewhat when stopped down. No difference whether a UV filter is attached.

There is no flare when the 14-42 and 14-54MKII are used with MM2 adaptor.

Just wondering if you have the same problem or it's just my copy of the lens.

Here are the pictures.
Flare at F4

Flare at F9

No flare shooting direct at light source

Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 22,880Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sobasan, Sep 6, 2010

Sobasan wrote:

Hi Ray,

Just bought myself an E-PL1 and the 14-150mm lens. I noticed that there are a fair bit of flare when the light source is a the right upper corner of the screen.

Worst when wide open and reduced somewhat when stopped down. No difference whether a UV filter is attached.

There is no flare when the 14-42 and 14-54MKII are used with MM2 adaptor.

Just wondering if you have the same problem or it's just my copy of the lens.

I just got mine, and I haven't looked for flare. Note, you can put the lens hood from the classic 4/3rds 14-42mm on the 14-150mm, and it should help reduce flare. If you don't own the 14-42mm lens, it may be a little expensive buying a $25 lens hood for the lens.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Sobasan
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
In reply to Michael Meissner, Sep 6, 2010

Michael Meissner wrote:

I just got mine, and I haven't looked for flare. Note, you can put the lens hood from the classic 4/3rds 14-42mm on the 14-150mm, and it should help reduce flare. If you don't own the 14-42mm lens, it may be a little expensive buying a $25 lens hood for the lens.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for suggestion. I do have the lens hood from my E520 kit lens. But it didn't help much.

Can you try a shot at similar angle and see if it's my copy of the lens or it's a general issue. If it doesn't with your lens, then it would be a trip back to the store for me.

compositor20
Like?
In reply to Sobasan, Sep 6, 2010

yep side light makes a little flare but with that the lens hood helps

i would like to buy one but there isnt a single store in my country that has one

direct to sunlight flare is much better controled than in 20mm f1.7

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads