Nikon EN-EL3e battery question

Started Aug 21, 2010 | Discussions
G4orce Studios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281
Like?
Nikon EN-EL3e battery question
Aug 21, 2010

When I purchased my D90 in January of 2009, I purchased three brand new EN-EL3e batteries. I am still getting 1500+ shots from one full charge from each.

The question I have is, after hundreds of uses of each battery (I am good about rotating), the D90 still reads all three batteries as "new" in the "battery age" second of the controls. Does anyone know how the "age" of the battery is read?

JeffCole
Senior MemberPosts: 1,423
Like?
Re: Nikon EN-EL3e battery question
In reply to G4orce Studios, Aug 21, 2010

I know what you mean, I have some 4 year old EN-EL3e's that still show as new.
Interested to hear more from others on this question also.
--
Jeff
http://www.jeffcole.smugmug.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ben Seese
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,367
Like?

G4orce Studios wrote:

Does anyone know how the "age" of the battery is read?

It's a good question, Joe. In all my experience at the store & with my own battery-burning shooting style ('bout to wear out my D90's 2nd shutter), I've still never seen a battery that has dropped below "new". Not sure that I've ever even read a report of a non-"new" battery on here.

I suspect that the EN-EL3 form factor will be obsolete & replacements out-of-stock long before anybody's battery reaches the "replace" level.

-- hide signature --
G4orce Studios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281
Like?
In reply to Ben Seese, Aug 21, 2010

I am approaching 200,000 actuations and the EB-EL3e batteries are, by far, the best I have ever used in any device. They are amazing.

I will also be sending mine in for shutter #3, when I reach 200,000.

pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,967Gear list
Like?

My original D70s battery is approaching five years. Still performs as good as the day I got the camera.

G4orce Studios wrote:

When I purchased my D90 in January of 2009, I purchased three brand new EN-EL3e batteries. I am still getting 1500+ shots from one full charge from each.

The question I have is, after hundreds of uses of each battery (I am good about rotating), the D90 still reads all three batteries as "new" in the "battery age" second of the controls. Does anyone know how the "age" of the battery is read?

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Ben Seese
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,367
Like?

G4orce Studios wrote:

... the EB-EL3e batteries are, by far, the best I have ever used in any device...

Same here. It really is strange how vastly different their performance is to Li-ion cell-phone & laptop batteries, which (in my experience) seem to turn to dust on cue, a month after the one-year warranty has expired.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads