I want to get my Sunpak Flash Off Camera

Started Aug 16, 2010 | Discussions
leanneqld
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813Gear list
Like?
I want to get my Sunpak Flash Off Camera
Aug 16, 2010

HI, I have the Canon EOS 550D and a sunpak PZ42X Flash. I started looking at flash sync cables then it was suggested to try the wireless triggers. I spent the past few hours researching them and it seems there are issues with the wireless triggers and the sunpak flash. The YongNuo definitely have issues with the sleep/wake mode of the flash and cactus v4 triggers dont work. Has anyone found any wireless triggers that work or do I have to be happy with a sync cord?
Thanks
--
Very Often In Awe

stevenjames
Contributing MemberPosts: 888Gear list
Like?
Pocket Wizards
In reply to leanneqld, Aug 16, 2010

I switched from Canon to Nikon and now enjoy CLS but I hear/read a lot about the pocket wizards. I know they are very good and likely expensive (maybe more than the cost of your strobe) but you get what you pay for.

Steve

stevenjames's gear list:stevenjames's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,094
Like?
Re: I want to get my Sunpak Flash Off Camera

Is there a socketon the camera and on the flash for a sync cord?

And what kind of sync cord? One that simply makes the flash go off, or a Canon off camera flash cord three (or similar) whichmaintains flash automation?

The Canon cord will proibably work fine, and gets the flash a couple of feet away from the camera.

BAK

leanneqld
Like?
In reply to BAK, Aug 16, 2010

There is no socket on the flash..... I thought there were cords/cables that connect from the camera's hot shoe adapter to the connector at the base of the flash?
--
Very Often In Awe

lbdina
Regular MemberPosts: 241
Like?

I'm using RadioPopper JrX Studio triggers on my Canon 5DmkII and with Canon and LumoPro portable flashes. They work great. Don't know about Sunpak. These units do not support eTTL or HSS, but they do allow remote, manual power adjustment on Canon, Nikon, Alien Bee, White Lightning, and compatible flashes (clones with the same capabilities). So, I can set my flash on a stand and adjust power from camera on up to three flash groups, which I love. Not sure if that will work with the Sunpak or not...probably not unless it is a Canon/Nikon clone. But they should fire just about any flash unit that can be hooked up to the receiver. A basic transmitter/receiver combo is $140, and the "studio" model, which allows remote power adjustment, is $160. Remote power adjustment for Canon/Nikon and compatible flashes requires the RPCube, which is an additional $30.

http://shop.radiopopper.com/radiopopperjrxsystem.aspx

-- hide signature --
leanneqld
Like?
In reply to lbdina, Aug 16, 2010

THanks for that ibdina...the sunpak is a dedicated canon clone with e-ttl function . At this stage i'm just looking at a cheap way to get just 1 flash off camera.
--
Very Often In Awe

Robert Pat
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
In reply to leanneqld, Aug 17, 2010

I use RF 6002. They are not able to wake up my SB600 so I disabled the stand by mode for this flash
RF 602 is great, if you give up TTL .

Robert Pat's gear list:Robert Pat's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-Zoom
stevenjames
Contributing MemberPosts: 888Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert Pat, Aug 17, 2010

Whatever you decide to invest in I would suggest making sure its something that can grow with you.

You state that you just want to get one flash off camera but when you see what that can do and start reading http://www.strobist.com you see what multiple speedlights are capable of.

Steve

stevenjames's gear list:stevenjames's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +8 more
leanneqld
Like?
In reply to stevenjames, Aug 17, 2010

Thanks Robert and Steve.

Steve, I have no desire to get into full on strobing. Being a stay at home mum without an income means I don't have the $$$$$ to invest in mulitple flashes/stands/umbrellas etc etc etc

The reason I just wanted to get the flash off camera was to do some smoke shots with a black background. I tried the other night using desk lamps on either side of the smoke but still had to use iso 1600 to get some shutterspeed. It was only then that i wishing I could have used the flash. And so my research began.........
--
Very Often In Awe

gisle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,468
Like?

leanneqld wrote:

HI, I have the Canon EOS 550D and a sunpak PZ42X Flash. I started looking at flash sync cables then it was suggested to try the wireless triggers. I spent the past few hours researching them and it seems there are issues with the wireless triggers and the sunpak flash. The YongNuo definitely have issues with the sleep/wake mode of the flash and cactus v4 triggers dont work. Has anyone found any wireless triggers that work or do I have to be happy with a sync cord?

The Canon Off Camera Shoe Cord (ie. OC-SC 2, OC-SC 3 or compatible) is the only thing that for sure will fire your Sunpak PZ42X off camera.

Unlike most flash units, the Sunpak PZ42X will not fire if you just short the edge and centre pin. Since most hot-shoe adapters just provide a centre pin and a edge contact, this means that they will not work with the PZ42X.

I have not tested the PZ42X with a pseudo-dedicated wireless triggers such as the Canon-version of the YongNuo RF-602. There are user reports out there that this combination works if you disable the power-save mode on the PZ42X. To disable this, hold down the mode and select (SEL) buttons as you power up as described here: http://dpanswers.com/content/radio_flash.php#rf602

I haven't tested this combination myself, but you should at least be able to try out whether disabling the power save mode works before ordering.

-- hide signature --

– gisle [ See profile/plan for equipment list ]

Pom_ZJ
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?

You don’t need a flash you need a tripod small smoke look better with lower speed. Set your smoking stuff about 8” off of the BG (my 20” LCD screen on desk top) a 6’ floor lamp with an open top (up side down cone) stand about 4’ and close to 90 degree from center of LCD, a folded 45 degree angle white card to the right pointing back to the lamp. Set my camera to Manual ISO 200 and lens wide open at F2 and start testing from speed of 1/30 second on down. I just shot a pink rose in a glass vase did not set it to smoke it look good at about 1/10 second and try to manually focus on a stick or some kind and then remove (if you going to shoot only smoke) hope this help...Pom

It is hard for camera and flash to focus and reading from thin smoke and black BG.

leanneqld
Like?
In reply to Pom_ZJ, Aug 17, 2010

Thanks Gisle and Pom for you replies.

I think I will eventually get the cable to fire the sunpak. In the mean time i decided to get the Yongnuo CTR-301'P trigger and receivers as I also have a Yongnuo flash. I bought this for my pentax dslr and my fuji bridgecam. I tested it today on the Canon and it works. As the CTR-301P is compatible with canon and pentax I will be able to use the triggers with both cameras and the yongnuo flash.
--
Very Often In Awe

travelr64
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to leanneqld, May 5, 2013
PenFan2011
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?

I use the "SMDV MySlave Quick 100".  There is a trigger/receiver for about $40 (amazon), or a $60 combo that adds a second receiver and two flash diffusers for speed-light type lights.  They are dumb triggers, but they have a PC and hot shoe trigger mechanism (so if one fails the other usually still works) with all sorts of adapters for special flash connections and mounting hardware.  i often can get above normal flash sync speed for my camera by abut half a stop.

These are cheap/inexpensive but look/act professional, if that makes any sense.

And of course just to say so, they have zero ittl (or whatever) communication functionality.

-- hide signature --

I am far too busy taking pictures to look for problems with the cameras I use to take them.

DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,226
Like?
In reply to PenFan2011, May 5, 2013

/\ /\ /\ Lookout, necroposting!

chris franklin
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?

I was in the market for radio triggers a while ago. I purchased a pair 45.00 wireless triggers. I used them on a well paid job and just when you know it, they stopped Working. So I researched a great deal. I even watch a friend who is a canon shooter use pocket wizards.  They failed. I used his PW and they failed. finally went with the Phottix Odin wireless system. I have not had a misfire. They work  in iTTL, manual or ratio mode or a combination of all three modes  at the same time. All are controlled from the head unit. Give them a try. With (cheap) things in general "you get what you pay for".  Go with the Odin System.

-- hide signature --

Cali
D800, 24-70mm2.8, 70-200vr 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 2 SB 600's and a bag of goodies. 27" iMac 3.4 i7: adobe CS6

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads