Main Dial malfunction on Canon 30d

Started Aug 12, 2010 | Discussions
rbokhary
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Main Dial malfunction on Canon 30d
Aug 12, 2010

The main dial on my Canon 30d starts slipping after a few clicks in one direction. The other direction seems to be fine.

Has anyone encountered such a problem? If yes, please advise.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,652
Like?
Re: Main Dial malfunction on Canon 30d
In reply to rbokhary, Aug 12, 2010

rbokhary wrote:

The main dial on my Canon 30d starts slipping after a few clicks in one direction. The other direction seems to be fine.

Has anyone encountered such a problem? If yes, please advise.

Not entirely related, but this happened to a Canon film camera of mine, EOS A2, many years ago. I sent it to Canon service to get repaired.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nikhil rasiwasia
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to rbokhary, Sep 11, 2010

Funny, Mine has the exact same problem. I called up canon and they said a minimun of $180 for repair (mine is out of warranty).... I guess I can live with the slip, than pay this money... if you are able to figure out a way to repair please do share it....

mariadc
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to rbokhary, Feb 26, 2013

I'm having the same problem - just started a couple of weeks ago.  I searched and there is an older thread on this issue with the 30D.  One person said they solved it themselves by placing a tiny drop of superglue between the rubber and the dial itself.  I think I'll try that.  I won't pay $180 to fix something that small...

Here is the older thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2864027

mariadc's gear list:mariadc's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Guilherme Lima
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to mariadc, 10 months ago

Hi, everybody!

I have a 40d for a while now (bought it brand new on sep/07) and it has the same slipping main dial issue for about 1 1/2 years. I've been searching the web and unfortunatly found out that this is not an unusual issue, this is an old thread with a growing/recurrent interest, as times goes by and cameras grow old. Just google "main dial problem", "slipping main dial" and there you go...

What is usually said is that sending to Canon will cost at least 180,oo U$.

I also found this guy who claims he has fixed it with glue (!), since he observed that the dial is made of two parts (an internal plastic wheel and the outside rubber ring). http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/gear/bodies/Fixing-Slipping-Main-Dial-On-A-Canon-DSLR.html (if I had another body I would have tried that already. You never know about the real consequences of these tutorials we found on the web). Found some videos and step by step of disassemblings, but I dont think I should try to disassemble a precision instrument on my own like this... also the access to this part is awful.

What a Canon's fault with their clients who pays around 1.000,oo U$ for a camera body in this class and in 4 years ends up with an issue like this. I realy like Canon's systems and image quality, but this kind of problem really leaves a very dirty spot in my relation with the company. I was thinking about jumping to a 7 or 6D, but dont know anymore...

I also have a canon Ellan II E (from 1998) that never gave me any kind of trouble, one of the reasons that made me go for Canon again. But this is such a basic recorrent problem that has a big impact in the camera use, to cost so much... How can a dial (the MAIN DIAL) in a camera of it's class be designed to last just a few years? They say the shutter mechanism has a lifetime of some thousands clicks, but the main dial? Come on!

How many people are having or will have this same problem? Never will know. What I never came across around the web is Canon answering for this design fault. In time, most (if not all) the issues I've found around the slipping main dial, concerns to the decimal's line.

All the best!

Guilherme Lima's gear list:Guilherme Lima's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads