Why don't more A700 users upgrade to FF?

Started Aug 10, 2010 | Discussions
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,808Gear list
Like?
Why don't more A700 users upgrade to FF?
Aug 10, 2010

When the A900 and later the A850 was launched, I expected that a lot more A700/APS-C high end photographers would move to full frame.

I think the A900/A850 are as important for building a FF user base as the hords of low end cameras are for building a broad A mount user base (with an upgrade path to FF).

From observing this and other forums, which should represent the core users for higher end Sony cameras, I don't think this has happened, at lest not yet.

I don't know the sales figures for the Sony FF cameras, or if the sale is lower than stipulated from Sony. I just have a feeling that FF has not sold as well as expected. So, if I am correct:

Why doesn't more A700/APS-C users step up to FF? Lack of attractive FF lenses? Is a FF system too expensive for most advanced amateurs? Or ... ?

Thoughts?

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
beakydave
Senior MemberPosts: 2,140
Like?
For me, it is cost
In reply to Nordstjernen, Aug 10, 2010

I would love to make full use of my lenses, but in reality I don't need to do so that often. I can't therefore justify the outlay for that reason alone whilst I have a perfectly good camera (better in many ways) in the A700. If and when my A700 dies then I will consider what is available - if there happens to be a new FF model then I would probably go FF at that point.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,258Gear list
Like?
No advantages for sports shooters.

Ninety percent of my shots are high school sports, wherein I need great AF, high speed burst, and low noise at high ISOs. The A900 doesn't offer any advantages here compared to the A700. So, as much as I'd like to have an A900 for other types of shots, it just doesn't make sense for me.
--
Gary

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
ianimal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048
Like?
Re: Why don't more A700 users upgrade to FF?

To big, to heavy, to expensive.
And I don't need 24 MP.

But maybe later if the right price, size and features.
And a FF NEX could be interesting if possible and the price is around $1500
or less.

Ron Co
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566
Like?

For me there is no point - I bought the A700 to work with the 500mm mirror lens for bird photography -if I went full frame the lens drops its reach by 50% (or is it one third?) anyway the 500 mm reverts to 500 mm instead of the effective 750 mm on the A700 .

I know in theory the extra pixels would compensate but I like to use what I get when possible and it makes no sense to pay for pixels I won't use

OK perhaps if I get bigger birds? Or if I can get closer?? ---hmmmm
--
Ron Co
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ron-alenka/
http://www.redbubble.com/people/alenkaco2/writing

matknu
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
In reply to Ron Co, Aug 10, 2010

ISO
--
Mats

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,095Gear list
Like?
Ditto the FF offerings by Sony did not enhance my shooting (nt)
In reply to garykohs, Aug 10, 2010
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Henrik 1881
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?

I am totally unaware of the advantages of the FF models except shallower depth of field. When I become a better photographer I might be interested in FF.
--
Amateur photographer from Stockholm, the capital of Scandinavia, Europe.

IKB
IKB
Senior MemberPosts: 2,183Gear list
Like?
Buy me an A850 and I'll upgrade.

Not everyone has the cash needed to justify spending £1500+ on a device that will slightly improve their images. Most people have many other demands on their income in these financially straitened times

-- hide signature --

Malcy

IKB's gear list:IKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,949Gear list
Like?
same reason why many canon people upgrade to 7d instead of 5d MK2

Full frame isn't end all be all. For wild life, birds in flight, sports shooters, full frame have zero advantages. For wedding and portrait shooters, full frame produce ultra-shallow DOF that no APC-C camera can compete. There is also the factor of overall cost, the APS-C camera are way cheaper by comparison.

Anyhow this phenomenon is also true over at the canon side. Most people elect to upgrade their entry level camera to Canon 7D rather than a fullframe 5d MK2. Canon 5D also doesn't have a build in flash, that sort of annoy me since I believe Nikon D700 has a build in flash.

clayven4
Regular MemberPosts: 236
Like?
Re: same reason why many canon people upgrade to 7d instead of 5d MK2
In reply to 007peter, Aug 10, 2010

I see far more pictures with too little depth of field than I do with too much. A700 works fine for me.

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,376Gear list
Like?
Re: same reason why many canon people upgrade to 7d instead of 5d MK2
In reply to 007peter, Aug 10, 2010

D700 has build in flash
--
All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marti58/

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +24 more
paul_kew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141
Like?

My A700 still works , why would I want to replace it?

Not interested in latest/shiniest ,get the newest because mine's obsolete mindset pervading modern society (how many perfetly good, still working mobile phones replaced every year because a new model's come out?). I'm what manufacturers hate

Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 15,006
Like?

All of the above plus:

1) Faster computer required due to much larger files & needed processing power.
2) To date, I've seen very little that FF has over APS-C when shooting wildlife.

None the less, I may move to FF some day. Currently, I would only loose one lens - my SAL 18-250mm.
--
AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

arthurb2
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?

Nordstjernen wrote:

When the A900 and later the A850 was launched, I expected that a lot more A700/APS-C high end photographers would move to full frame.

I think the A900/A850 are as important for building a FF user base as the hords of low end cameras are for building a broad A mount user base (with an upgrade path to FF).

From observing this and other forums, which should represent the core users for higher end Sony cameras, I don't think this has happened, at lest not yet.

I don't know the sales figures for the Sony FF cameras, or if the sale is lower than stipulated from Sony. I just have a feeling that FF has not sold as well as expected. So, if I am correct:

Why doesn't more A700/APS-C users step up to FF? Lack of attractive FF lenses? Is a FF system too expensive for most advanced amateurs? Or ... ?

Thoughts?

The major reason is the huge cost involved. Because only one lens could be retained, I would be looking at an outlay of around £2500-3000 even if I could get an A850 body for less than £1500; the A850 is less attractive to me than the A900, but the A900 appears to be dead. For that money, and the disruption involved, it would be no more difficult, nor much more expensive, to switch to a different brand of APS-C camera.

The other, perhaps less important reason is the size and weight of a FF. For personal reasons, those factors make a FF much less attractive to me than an aps-c format DSLR.

So, I have not bought anything for my A700 since late last year, and will not until at least one A7xx model has been on the market for a few months, plus, preferably, some enhancements to the functionality of the A5xx range (video does not interest me, live-view only a little, faster and more accurate AF interests me greatly).

neo_nights
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007Gear list
Like?

I said this yesterday on another topic here.

My guess is that many people would like to go FF someday and Sony did the right thing releasing 'cheap' models to encourage those people. But their mistake was to think that everyone wanted a megapixel hungry camera, to think that dSLR users are like P&Ss who go for the biggest mp count.

If the A850 was, let's say, 18mp and had high ISO capabilities at least as good as the Canon 7D, then more people would have gone FF, I believe.

-- hide signature --

I'm lazy to post my pics here. So you can look at them here:
http://www.zenfolio.com/neonights

neo_nights's gear list:neo_nights's gear list
Pentax K20D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +7 more
jeremiah_rubix
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
In reply to arthurb2, Aug 10, 2010

have a700 plus 16-80cz, ff requires 24-70 or the like, in oztralia that is much $.

tom
tom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,705
Like?
Cost, Size, Weight, No Flash

I am not that interested in wide angle photography, and I only print up to 11x14 inches (very rarely) and 8x10-inches.

I do like the FF cameras for the nice VF and user installable screens, but the compromises in the subject aren't worth it.

The A850 at B&H is $2000. And I haven't found it cheaper at local stores including Sony Style. The A700 new was significantly lower than that (about a good used lens lower). Add to that I'd have to spend about another $150 (plus or minus) for a wireless controller.

tom

Gavin 11
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?

“Breaking news”, I’m working class and with the recession cannot afford such a lovely camera.

Gavin 11's gear list:Gavin 11's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,376Gear list
Like?
i think you answered your question in another thread

for web use you did not see the difference between APS C and FF, or at least the difference was not that big.

so for what most people do today it wont justify the cost.

as an event shooter in all kind of conditions i cleary can see the benefits from my D700 over my D300s in certain conditions.

as for Sony maybe the differences are to small compared lets say to the A700 or A500/550.
--
All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marti58/

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads