Review - eyelead cleaning products

Started Aug 10, 2010 | Discussions
SENSEI Contributing Member • Posts: 537
Review - eyelead cleaning products

For the Canadians out there, had a chance to test out the new line of Eyelead products from Sensuz Media. Turns out these are the same ones sold on maxsaver.net as well.

Picked up a lenspen, LRL-1 LED ring loupe, AB-1 Air blower, and the gaining popularity SCK-1 Sensor cleaning kit. http://www.sensuz.com/estore/catalog/index.php?cPath=72 (Can I post link here? If not, mods please remove)

The lenspen is what you would expect from any retailer.

The air blower is pretty thin in the rubber bulb, but can move alot of air. It's about 5.5" in length and only 2" wide; so very portable.

The Loupe was the next thing that interested me. Would it actually help me see dust? In simplest terms YES! I was so surprised at how much clearer the sensor became with the lights shining right in. Sure you can use any LED light I guess...but this also enlarged the field of view significantly...

Without loupe

With loupe

Finally, the sensor cleaner. According to the reviews available, and the eyelead website, this is the same technology that Canon Services uses to clean sensors...haven't had anyone from Canon confirm or deny this; so I'll take it as it is for now...

Essentially its a pogo stick with a sticky glob on the end of it.

The deal is you press it down on the sensor, then press it onto some special thin paper than cleans the head. Then repeat as needed.

I have some before and after pics. Both taken indoors at f/22. It is quite amazing to see the difference and much easier to use then the typical Copper Hill Method that I use. (Prolly too small to notice difference)

BEFORE

AFTER

This is after 1 pass with the sensor.

Overall: EXCELLENT PRODUCTS for value. The Copper Hill Method cost me $50 shipped to Canada for just the kit. Arctic Butterfly Loupe runs $90 CAD.

Yes, I have the Arctic Butterfly loupe, sensor brush, and the Copper Hill Cleaning kit.

Another option for those looking, is to order from maxsaver.net directly. It's free shipping on their items and tax free; but you may be hit with taxes/duties on import and the shipping time can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks for delivery.

Let me know if anyone has questions...thought this may help out with newer photogs looking for options with all the products floating around out there.

-- hide signature --

Shane
Toronto, Canada
http://www.shanehophotography.com

BAK wrote:
In this forum, there are a lot of people with more money than brains.

joel avery
joel avery Senior Member • Posts: 1,702
Re: Review - eyelead cleaning products

Hello Shane:

Thanks for the info!
How much of the sensor is covered by a single press?
Any fears of putting too much pressure on the sensor?

joel avery's gear list:joel avery's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R II +8 more
OP SENSEI Contributing Member • Posts: 537

When cleaning my 5D sensor, I would say 6-8 presses should cover the whole sensor adequately.

I did the corners a few times extra as that's where dust seems to settle the most.

You don't need that much pressure to get it to stick, and it took a bit more force then I anticipated to lift it off the sensor the first time; but got used to it after that.

I can see this dry method working well for day to day cleaning; but I wouldn't use it as a long term solution and I still use a wet method every 2-3 weddings.

-- hide signature --

Shane
Toronto, Canada
http://www.shanehophotography.com

BAK wrote:
In this forum, there are a lot of people with more money than brains.

OOPSOS Contributing Member • Posts: 615

Thanks for the info you provided. I am a little nervous but just ordered it anyway.

For other who interest ordering: maxsaver.net do not have loup in stock so I order from ebay 13.50 free ship. cleaning kit from maxsaver 26.55 free ship
Thanks again
--
'Photography is about feel of view, not field of view'
i view, i feel, i kill (shoot)

OOPSOS's gear list:OOPSOS's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more
plevyadophy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,258
A question about thehand-held magnifying glass/loupe with LED Re: Review - eyelead cleaning gear

SENSEI wrote:

For the Canadians out there, had a chance to test out the new line of Eyelead products from Sensuz Media. Turns out these are the same ones sold on maxsaver.net as well.

Picked up a lenspen, LRL-1 LED ring loupe, AB-1 Air blower, and the gaining popularity SCK-1 Sensor cleaning kit. http://www.sensuz.com/estore/catalog/index.php?cPath=72 (Can I post link here? If not, mods please remove)

The air blower is pretty thin in the rubber bulb, but can move alot of air. It's about 5.5" in length and only 2" wide; so very portable.

The Loupe was the next thing that interested me. Would it actually help me see dust? In simplest terms YES! I was so surprised at how much clearer the sensor became with the lights shining right in. Sure you can use any LED light I guess...but this also enlarged the field of view significantly...

Without loupe

With loupe

Finally, the sensor cleaner. According to the reviews available, and the eyelead website, this is the same technology that Canon Services uses to clean sensors...haven't had anyone from Canon confirm or deny this; so I'll take it as it is for now...

The deal is you press it down on the sensor, then press it onto some special thin paper than cleans the head. Then repeat as needed.

I have some before and after pics. Both taken indoors at f/22. It is quite amazing to see the difference and much easier to use then the typical Copper Hill Method that I use. (Prolly too small to notice difference)

BEFORE

AFTER

Overall: EXCELLENT PRODUCTS for value. The Copper Hill Method cost me $50 shipped to Canada for just the kit. Arctic Butterfly Loupe runs $90 CAD.

Yes, I have the Arctic Butterfly loupe, sensor brush, and the Copper Hill Cleaning kit.

Another option for those looking, is to order from maxsaver.net directly. It's free shipping on their items and tax free; but you may be hit with taxes/duties on import and the shipping time can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks for delivery.

Let me know if anyone has questions...thought this may help out with newer photogs looking for options with all the products floating around out there.

I do have a question about one of the products, the hand-held magnifying glass/loupe with LED lights.

How many times magnification do you get with this device?

And how close do you have to hold it to the sensor to get the optimum magnification (is there sufficient room such that you can use your other hand to simultaneously clean the sensor whilst getting a magnified view)?

Thanks in advance.

OP SENSEI Contributing Member • Posts: 537
Re: A question about thehand-held magnifying glass/loupe with LED

I do have a question about one of the products, the hand-held magnifying glass/loupe with LED lights.

How many times magnification do you get with this device?

And how close do you have to hold it to the sensor to get the optimum magnification (is there sufficient room such that you can use your other hand to simultaneously clean the sensor whilst getting a magnified view)?

Thanks in advance.

I am surprised that post is still active 3 years later.

I have since moved on to use the arctic butterfly system myself.

To answer your question, the loupe is rated at 3.6x magnification. I don’t know how they got that number or how I can test that spec.

I was not able to hold loupe and clean at the same time. I would need to inspect and clean independently of each other.

Hope that helps!

-- hide signature --

Shane
Toronto, Canada
www.shanehophotography.com

www.reveriestudios.ca
>BAK wrote:
> In this forum, there are a lot of people with more money than brains.
http://shaneho.smugmug.com/photos/162595773-L.jpg

A recent review Re: Review - eyelead cleaning products

SENSEI wrote:

Without loupe

With loupe

BEFORE

AFTER

A recent review and commentary

http://photographylife.com/would-you-buy-this

SeeRoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,666
WHY OH WHY OH WHY?

Must people keep quoting the entire OP including all the bl00dy pix! How hard is it to delete all but any content you need to quote?

Roy

Why oh why, oh why, oh why?!!!! Re: WHY OH WHY OH WHY?

SeeRoy wrote:

Must people keep quoting the entire OP including all the bl00dy pix! How hard is it to delete all but any content you need to quote?

Roy

Do some peeps post to a thread, not to add anything informative but merely to whine?!!!

SeeRoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,666
Re: Why oh why, oh why, oh why?!!!! Re: WHY OH WHY OH WHY?

plevyadophy wrote:

SeeRoy wrote:

Roy

Do some peeps post to a thread, not to add anything informative but merely to whine?!!!

Because it's so ****ing stupid.

Yes I agree Re: Why oh why, oh why, oh why?!!!! Re: WHY OH WHY OH WHY?

SeeRoy wrote:

plevyadophy wrote:

SeeRoy wrote:

Roy

Because it's so ****ing stupid.

Yes, I agree; your whining is so ****ing stupid!!!

So, you have nothing else to contribute to this thread then?

BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,298
dolby1985 New Member • Posts: 6

I got this item yesterday and I've already cleaned my sensor of my D750. It's so easy and magically it works!

No more fluid on sensor that might leave some trace, it's simple and works great!

On my side for what it cost I'll strongly recommend it!

-- hide signature --

Dolby

dolby1985's gear list:dolby1985's gear list
Nikon Coolpix L20 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads