olympus pen e-p2, what lenses are there for it?

Started Aug 9, 2010 | Discussions
windkick
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
olympus pen e-p2, what lenses are there for it?
Aug 9, 2010

Hi, I have always mainly used Canon products and I am thinking of either getting a Pen EP-2 or a Lumix GF1 (If any one recomends one over the other please or has suggestins I am all ears).

I am leaning towards the EP2, but I cant find a site that has a list of all the lens's I could possibly put on it? Like I said, I am new to Olympus as I have always used Canon products. I was mainly looking for a top end fisheye and what not. If any one could link me to a site, or give me a list of lenses I could check out I would be very gratefull

Thanks in advance

Airelle
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
Re: olympus pen e-p2, what lenses are there for it?
In reply to windkick, Aug 9, 2010

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense.html should have a fairly complete list of lenses. Also keep in mind that 4/3 lenses can also be mounted on m4/3 bodies using the mmf1 or the more recent mmf2 adapter.

Airelle's gear list:Airelle's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpzundel
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?

Try the Four Thirds org.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html

Bodies, 4/3 and Micro 4/3
Lenses 4/3 and Micro 4/3

and "simulation" showing lenses on bodies

jpzundel's gear list:jpzundel's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1
Entropius
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,167
Like?
An explanation of the Four Thirds lens lineup

Canon's lens lineup has developed more or less organically, where Canon says "Hey, I bet we can sell an 85/1.2, somebody go make one", and they do. So, over the years, Canon's lens list has no real order to it.

Olympus, having built a system from scratch recently, planned out the lens lineup (more or less) in advance for Four Thirds. You can use all of the 4/3 lenses on your m4/3 with an adapter. It's too early to tell on the m4/3 lenses, as we're just at the beginning of that.

The system works like this: there are "standard", "high", and "super-high" grade lenses, with all types (ultrawide, standard, etc.) covered in each range. Standard is standard; high is on par with Canon's L series, and super-high is on par with the best of the Canon L's. Here's the full list:

STANDARD

9-18 f/4-5.6
14-42 f/3.5-5.6
40-150 f/4-5.6
70-300 f/4-5.6
35 f/3.5 macro
18-180 f/4-6.3 superzoom
25 f/2.8 pancake

HIGH

11-22 f/2.8-3.5
14-54 f/2.8-3.5
12-60 f/2.8-4
50-200 f/2.8-3.5
50 f/2 macro
8 f/3.5 fisheye

SUPER-HIGH

7-14 f/4
14-35 f/2
35-100 f/2
150 f/2
90-250 f/2.8
300 f/2.8

These will all work on your E-P2 with an adapter, but some will focus faster than others since they are specifically designed for high-speed contrast detect autofocus. These are: 14-42, 40-150, 70-300 (I think), 25 pancake, 14-54.

There are a few more lenses from Panasonic and Sigma.

Somebody else can answer about the dedicated m4/3 stuff, as I don't follow it too closely.

Pete_CSCS
Senior MemberPosts: 2,939Gear list
Like?
As was mentioned...

... an E-P2 will work with the 4/3rds lenses when using an adapter.

Here is a list of the 4/3rds lenses includiing those made by Sigma and Panasonic/Leica:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/lenses.html

-- hide signature --

'When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at
his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two,
and I know it was not that blow that did it,
but all that had gone before.'
-- Jacob Riis (1849 - 1914)

Stay Well,
Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
ginsbu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?

If manual focus lenses are your thing, then you can mount just about anything on the m4/3 cameras with appropriate adaptors (and a willingness to MF and use stop-down metering, of course). The 2x crop factor makes wides not wide, but makes normals into nice portrait lenses and teles more tele.

ginsbu's gear list:ginsbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +12 more
windkick
Like?
In reply to ginsbu, Aug 10, 2010

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it

Whats the best available Fisheye I could get?

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,262Gear list
Like?
In reply to ginsbu, Aug 10, 2010

ginsbu wrote:

If manual focus lenses are your thing, then you can mount just about anything on the m4/3 cameras with appropriate adaptors (and a willingness to MF and use stop-down metering, of course). The 2x crop factor makes wides not wide, but makes normals into nice portrait lenses and teles more tele.

You don't need to use stop down metering, the cameras automatically adjust exposure as the aperture ring is moved - it's liveview.
--
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
windkick
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, Aug 10, 2010
Airelle
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
In reply to windkick, Aug 10, 2010

MMF-1 (discontinued) or MMF-2

Airelle's gear list:Airelle's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
ginsbu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, Aug 10, 2010

papillon_65 wrote:

ginsbu wrote:

You don't need to use stop down metering, the cameras automatically adjust exposure as the aperture ring is moved - it's liveview.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this ("the cameras automatically adjust exposure as the aperture ring is moved - it's liveview"), as this is true for non-LV cameras (or cameras in non--LV mode) as well. On my E-620 in A mode the camera automatically adjusts exposure as I turn the aperture ring. This is still stop down metering.

I take it that what you mean is that the gain applied for the LV image is increased automatically as you decrease aperture, giving you a bright enough image to focus even while the lens is stopped down. But at smaller apertures and/or lower light conditions the additional gain for LV introduces enough noise to make manual focusing difficult, so depending on the conditions one will still need to focus at a larger aperture and then stop down to take the shot. How small/dim will depend on one's own abilities/tolerances.

Based on experience with my 620 in dim-ish indoor conditions (e.g. ISO1600 f/2.8 1/30), I can MF via the OVF with reasonable accuracy down to f/4 or maybe f/5.6 (depending on subject matter); using LV, I can can focus down to f/5.6 or f/8 (again, depending on subject matter). Based on this it seems like LV gives a 1-2 stop advantage for MF over the OVF for me . I expect other have different abilities with OVF focusing and different tolerances for noise when focusing in LV. In any case, using LV in conditions such as these I would probably focus at no smaller than f/4 and then stop down if I wanted a smaller aperture. As a rule, I can get a sharp handheld shot using IS at shutter speeds where I can't manage stopped down MF via LV (for a given aperture and ISO).

How much of an issue this is depends on what kind of shooting you're doing with MF lenses, of course. It will arise more if you use flash indoors, or with smaller apertures and polarizers or ND filters outdoors. For many, it may be no problem at all.

This is all based on my experience with the 620's LV. Perhaps the m4/3 cameras are much better, but my understanding is that they are not that much better. I'd be interested in hearing others experiences.

ginsbu's gear list:ginsbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +12 more
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,047
Like?
In reply to windkick, Aug 10, 2010

The Panasonic fisheye is new, still hard to get, and expensive, but would fit the camera nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-8mm-Fisheye-Digital-Cameras/dp/B003O868UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281467448&sr=8-1

The Olympus fisheye is cheaper, larger, and needs the adapter...

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Zuiko-Fisheye-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000EMXB82/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281467557&sr=8-1

I suspect they both work well, but the Olympus is a good lens according to users here.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

VinnieJ
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
In reply to ginsbu, Sep 20, 2010

Just wanted to add a pic to this conversation....

and the results with the 50mm f/1.4...

VinnieJ's gear list:VinnieJ's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads