insects inside Monitor

Started Aug 3, 2010 | Discussions
carl english
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,794Gear list
Like?
insects inside Monitor
Aug 3, 2010

Have asked this question in pc talk.

I have insects inside my monitor that can be seen, currently 21, I've had this problem for about 3 yrs, during the summer months we are pestered with these tiny creatures known locally as Harvest flies/thunder flies/midgies. Can they be removed?

Not sure how an LCD screen is made but they are behind the first layer (If they are layers) no idea why , but they are all on the left side of screen even when they appear on right initially they always crawl over to left side to die, weird.

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
NewYorkEd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515
Like?
Re: insects inside Monitor
In reply to carl english, Aug 3, 2010
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,749Gear list
Like?
In reply to NewYorkEd, Aug 3, 2010

NewYorkEd wrote:

Try to vacuum them out.
Ed

Agreed. You will probably have to partially disassemble the display to get the suction where you need it. The problem is that partial disassembly can be more difficult than you'd expect. It should only take removing the visible screws, but quite often there will be screws hidden under stickers and behind door panels. In addition to screws there may be plastic tabs that snap into place that you have to disengage using a flat and stiff, but flexible, tool. I've read guitar picks work well. I've used a flathead screwdriver on some plastic tabs, but you have to be careful.

Sometimes you can find a technical manual that shows you how to completely disassemble and reassemble the unit. Just google the make and model and "manual" or "technical manual."

Or you could just use it as an excuse to get a new display

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
carl english
Like?
In reply to sean000, Aug 3, 2010

Thanks Sean,will try as you suggest, I was hoping someone on forum had dismantled a Monitor and could tell if layers that make up screen could be separated.

Carl

skyfutaba
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
I tried...

...because I had exactly the same problem with a Thunderbug. It walked about inside the screen for ages and I was asking it ever so nicely to kindly climb out and be on his way but no, he decides to stop and die just top left of centre.

I reasoned that as I build my own (and others) pc's and am fairly technically minded generally it would be a simple matter to dismantle the monitor, seperate the laminations and blow him out or suck him out or whatever.

I REALLY regret trying.

There were far more screws, clips, ribbon cables etc. than I anticpated and I still don't know how some of the insides of that monitor could possibly be put together. Anyway, I messed up by moving part of the monitor a 'fraction more' to get at a part that was snagging with another part and 'crack' a small ribbon cable that I didn't know was there pulled on a tiny circuit board and another piece of the metal structure tore through some other parts and so on.

It went in the bin.

I am sure you are not as stupid as me, but I really would suggest that the inside of your monitor will probably be similar to mine and unless you know what you are doing or have confidence to 'learn on the job' (six hands would be a help too) you leave well alone!

carl english
Like?
Re: I tried...
In reply to skyfutaba, Aug 3, 2010

Wow! a bit scary, just been on youtube and the first item that came up was how to disassemble a Monitor, not sure if I have the courage do try this, although I have stripped out a Nikon DSLR Things move so fast in this PC world, 3 years ago I got no help at all, if I try will let you know result.
Thanks for help.
Carl

sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,749Gear list
Like?

carl english wrote:

Thanks Sean,will try as you suggest, I was hoping someone on forum had dismantled a Monitor and could tell if layers that make up screen could be separated.

Carl

Some models have a screen built into or behind the front bezel that is separate from the actual LCD panel. I'm betting the bugs are living in between two layers like this that you will not have trouble separating...but that may not even be necessary if you can get some suction in the right spot to vacuum them out. Still... I would espect there to be some clips you unscrew to lift the LCD panel out, and I bet the bugs will be between that and the front screen.

Good luck! I'd be curious to know how it goes. I've been in the IT industry for 15 years and that is a problem I have yet to encounter! I've vacuumed spiders and cobwebs out of computer towers many times, but not LCD displays.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,055
Like?
In reply to sean000, Aug 3, 2010

I just saw a roach in my soup.

OhioBowhunter
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?
In reply to ehazera, Aug 3, 2010

All you need to do is upgrade the firmware. Go to

http://www.firmwarebug.com and download the file.

Sorry...just couldn't stop myself. I would offer a suggestion. Rather then taking apart the monitor as others have indicated is not a good idea, might I suggest the simple bounce/slap test. You may be able to dislodge the bug to the bottom where you can then....ease the trim and try to get the bug to drop from sight. There is really not a lot of stuff in that monitor that a reasonable bang/drop/slap will damage.

ps....if I had that problem every summer, I would get a long type sponge to attach to the rear of the monitor where the vents are. I would saturate the sponge with raid or ??? to keep them from getting inside to begin with.

Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,937Gear list
Like?
Carl, try blow before suck.

Get a reversible vacuum cleaner and try to blow them out first,
it's way easier to direct/concentrate a blast
than to hope the suck gets to the right spot.
Failing that, buy a $5 concentrator and nip down the local garage
and borrow their air.
--

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,937Gear list
Like?
Maybe not,
In reply to OhioBowhunter, Aug 3, 2010

OhioBowhunter wrote:

I would saturate the sponge with raid or ???

For some doubtless, very interesting chemical fume
modifications to all that thin plastic in there.

-- hide signature --

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
OhioBowhunter
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?
Re: Maybe not,
In reply to Ron Poelman, Aug 3, 2010

That's why I would add the sponge strip on the outside near the vents. I would not spray anything in or directly on the monitor. The monitor DOES NOT suck in air, it "vents air out so you don't have to worry about getting the raid inside. As long as the pestiside is near the monitor vents , there is a good chance the bugs will not even go there....which is where they are most likely crawling in.

Bugs are generally attracted to heat or light. They have most likely climbed in there for the heat....make them want to look elsewhere.

Hansa Yindee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,784Gear list
Like?
Re: Carl, try blow before suck.
In reply to Ron Poelman, Aug 4, 2010

Couple of months ago my dog woke me up around 1AM.
She kept after me until I got up and could smell burning plastic.

Walked into the computer room and saw a small flame and
smoke coming out of the top of the monitor, next to the curtains !

Long story short, friend and I took it apart and a scorched Lizard fell
out.
My friend fix's computers, held up the circuit board with a hole burned
clear threw and said, "doesn't look good"
Next day he handed the monitor to me and has been working fine.

He mentioned that ants have been causing problems for some here
in Thailand by eating around the seal on the hard drives, it never ends...;-)
--
Jon in Thailand

http://www.flickr.com/photos/af2899/

Hansa Yindee's gear list:Hansa Yindee's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
Yargo
Regular MemberPosts: 483
Like?
Re: Carl, try blow before suck.
In reply to Hansa Yindee, Aug 4, 2010

I have stripped and repaired more than a few LCD panels , and I can say that it is not for the feint hearted .

There is also a significant chance that disassembling the lcd panel will result in a loss of connection at the HUGE flexible circuit connection at the top of the panel .

Blowing air in is not really gonna work , these things are an antistatic nightmare and any dust will become fixed .

Liquids are not a good idea as the CCF lamp has a strike voltage of about 1400 volts !

If you decide to give it a go (have money for a new screen ready) , PM me and I will try to give you some pointers

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,409
Like?
There is one thing Carl .....
In reply to carl english, Aug 4, 2010

.... if you get them out, you could make a load of Garribaldi biscuits!

-- hide signature --

Zone8

The photograph isolates and perpetuates a moment of time: an important and revealing moment, or an unimportant and meaningless one, depending upon the photographer's understanding of his subject and mastery of his process. -Edward Weston
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS

aardvark7
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,110
Like?
House flea spray...

I've not had creatures in monitors yet,
but spiders in the wing mirrors of my car.
I've tried vacuum and water to get rid,
but Flea Spray is the best, by far.

It usually lasts for 6 months
and could be sprayed all over the back.
It won't solve your current problem,
but should prevent any further attacks.

They say prevention is better than cure
and I would stand by that advice.
However, I suppose you should be glad
that it's only bugs infesting and not mice!

-- hide signature --

2010 : My new year's resolution - to be a year of poetry!

Tom Crowning
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,426
Like?
Fix for your problem:
  • partly dismantle the monitor and use a vacuum to suck them out. You may have to turn the monitor around a couple of times to get them where the vacuum can suck them. Never dismantle a monitor completely.

• place a candle on your desk when the monitor is on. 99% of the flies will approach the candle and die.

carl english wrote:

Have asked this question in pc talk.

I have insects inside my monitor that can be seen, currently 21, I've had this problem for about 3 yrs, during the summer months we are pestered with these tiny creatures known locally as Harvest flies/thunder flies/midgies. Can they be removed?

Not sure how an LCD screen is made but they are behind the first layer (If they are layers) no idea why , but they are all on the left side of screen even when they appear on right initially they always crawl over to left side to die, weird.

-- hide signature --

Some digital cameras, some lenses, 2 eyes

...whatever you do, do it with a smile...

Simon97
Senior MemberPosts: 2,347Gear list
Like?

I had one moving about inside. With a magnifier, I could tell it was behind the actual TFT panel. Luckily, in both cases it found nothing and crawled out. Seems like they should better seal these monitors. At least seal the LCD unit inside to let heat out from the other components and keep dust and bugs out.

I do see bits of fine dust or bug poop in there now, but it is too small to be a problem.

On the subject of monitors. I was once an IT manager and we purchased over 100 of these for the company over the years. When setting up the machine, I inspected the screens because they were to be used in a CAD environment where a black background was desired. Any stuck pixel would show up like a sore thumb. Not one monitor ever had a stuck pixel. I buy a monitor for my PC at home and guess what. It has a stuck pixel. Just my typical luck!

Also in my experience, LCDs are far more reliable than CRTs. I was weary of them at first seeing how many failed in notebooks and how the ones at the airport suffered heavy burn in. But mine is now 6 years old and all but a couple ever failed at the office.

Back to the bugs...

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot A800 Nikon 1 J1
Frank LoPriore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,235Gear list
Like?
In reply to carl english, Aug 5, 2010

Carl, you need a big cardboard box, and a can of bug fogger. If the bugs are getting air, they'll get fogged.
--
Frank
Please check out my galleries here http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/83997017

Frank LoPriore's gear list:Frank LoPriore's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,842Gear list
Like?
Re: There is one thing Carl .....
In reply to Zone8, Aug 5, 2010

Zone8 wrote:

.... if you get them out, you could make a load of Garribaldi biscuits!

I never heard of Garibaldi biscuits. All I know about is a Garibaldi sandwich: that's a meatball hero.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads