Minolta Elite 5400 II 35mm Film scanner and Windows 7

Started Aug 3, 2010 | Discussions
Robert P Miller
Senior MemberPosts: 1,956
Like?
Minolta Elite 5400 II 35mm Film scanner and Windows 7
Aug 3, 2010

My XP Pro machine is likely to get an upgrade to Windows 7. However I am concerned that certain devices that are no longer made like my Konica Minolta Elite 5400 II will not run. Anyone know about this?
--
Best,
Robert

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Re: Minolta Elite 5400 II 35mm Film scanner and Windows 7
In reply to Robert P Miller, Aug 3, 2010

Have you tried contacting Konica-Minolta ? They are the most likely to have knowledge of this.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Pentax K100D
Fuji S3 Pro
Fuji S9600

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert P Miller
Like?
In reply to Deleted1929, Aug 3, 2010

No, I started here first figuring since Sony bought KM, well, finding where to call may be daunting. Still, it's on the short list and I'll look into doing it soon.
Thanks.

sjgcit wrote:

Have you tried contacting Konica-Minolta ? They are the most likely to have knowledge of this.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Pentax K100D
Fuji S3 Pro
Fuji S9600

-- hide signature --

Best,
Robert

Lloyd O'Daniel
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
In reply to Robert P Miller, Aug 4, 2010

I'm happily using my 5400II with Vuescan (www.hamrick.com) under Win 7 x64. No problems at all. Vuescan has a generic driver that can be installed to run just about every scanner out there. I don't think the KM software or driver will work in x64. The last time I checked, this also takes out Silverfast as it uses the KM driver. This might have changed in recent SF versions.

Frankly, I wish I had all the $$ back that I have soaked into scanner-specific versions of SF in the past. Vuescan's results are very good. My workflow now involves scanning raw to DNG. Then, I can run the scans through ACR or LR just as I would my camera raw files. No special workflow / learning curve just for scanning.

Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,694Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert P Miller, Aug 4, 2010

Don't worry.

If you purchase windows 7 pro or windows 7 ultimate then you have the free windows xp modus. This means you can run programs like they did in xp(pro).

If you can find a windows vista driver for your scanner then you're set. Vista drivers also work in windows 7.

SWo, you have at least 2 options to make sure the scanner will work in windows 7.

here is the link to the latest driver. it is an xp (pro) driver.

http://ca.konicaminolta.com/support/americas/scanners/dimage-scanners/dimage-scanelite_54002/software_drivers/index.html

I am quite convident that the scanner will work if you set the program to xp compatibility in windows 7!!!

it's a 32 bit driver, that will work in windows 7 set to xp compatibility. No need to run in xp modus. ( xp modus needs extra space on the harddrive and 1GB extra memoery to run. So if you can avoid this, all the better. But i am quite convident it will run without problems.

Robert P Miller
Like?
In reply to Lloyd O'Daniel, Aug 9, 2010

Thankyou!

Those are comforting words. I like the idea of making them DNGs. I love working with RAW in Silkypix, so it would be great to not have to go with a new learning curve with scanner specific learning curves. I'm sure there may be times fro some scanner specific controls, but I'll try the simpler route first.

I've looked at some silverfast software and even have a demo version of some. But I've yet to use it.
Best,
Robert

Robert P Miller
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, Aug 9, 2010

Thanks! Sounds like Windows 7 Pro should work out for most things I plan on installing then. I'll take the resource hit if I have to just to run some of the programs.

Thankyou for the link to the latest K/M driver for our scanner.

Best,
Robert

Toermalijn wrote:

Don't worry.

If you purchase windows 7 pro or windows 7 ultimate then you have the free windows xp modus. This means you can run programs like they did in xp(pro).

If you can find a windows vista driver for your scanner then you're set. Vista drivers also work in windows 7.

SWo, you have at least 2 options to make sure the scanner will work in windows 7.

here is the link to the latest driver. it is an xp (pro) driver.

http://ca.konicaminolta.com/support/americas/scanners/dimage-scanners/dimage-scanelite_54002/software_drivers/index.html

I am quite convident that the scanner will work if you set the program to xp compatibility in windows 7!!!

it's a 32 bit driver, that will work in windows 7 set to xp compatibility. No need to run in xp modus. ( xp modus needs extra space on the harddrive and 1GB extra memoery to run. So if you can avoid this, all the better. But i am quite convident it will run without problems.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads