Quantaray 28-200mm for minolta and sony alpha cameras

Started Jul 4, 2010 | Discussions
mbalek007
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Quantaray 28-200mm for minolta and sony alpha cameras
Jul 4, 2010

I have a question if anyone can answer. Currently I'm an owner of Minolta Maxxum 400si with stock minolta lens as well as Quantaray 28-200mm lens, I'm planning on upgrading the camera do digital SLR, now I have couple of questions.

1. Is Quantaray 28-200 minolta lens compatible with Sony alpha camera's in full capacity?

2. If it is should I go ahead with Sony purchase, or should I opt out for another system i.e. canon or nikon camera?
Thanks
Mark

Tubal
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?
Re: Quantaray 28-200mm for minolta and sony alpha cameras
In reply to mbalek007, Jul 4, 2010

1. Yes (for the most part, any lens that will work with a Minolta Maxxum mount will fit any Sony alpha DSLR).

2. Depends who you ask. Every person will give you a different answer. You don't have much invested in Sony mount glass, so I wouldn't limit yourself to Sony just because you have the Quantaray. I personally use Sony and love it.

Tubal's gear list:Tubal's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
madecov
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
Re: Quantaray 28-200mm for minolta and sony alpha cameras
In reply to Tubal, Jul 4, 2010

In all likelihood, your quantaray was manufactured by Sigma.

There is an excellent chance it will function correctly on a Sony digital body but there is a slight chance that due to age and chip compatibility that it will not function.

Take the lens down to a local Ritz/Wolf and see if you can try it on a Sony body.
--

In god we trust, all others are suspects

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads