Fujifilm s1800 - Battery Problem

Started Jun 30, 2010 | Discussions
Pratap Venkatesan
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Fujifilm s1800 - Battery Problem
Jun 30, 2010

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Fujifilm s1800 and used it for a while with the Alkaline batteries that came along with the kit.

As they got drained off, I used rechargeable NI-MH batteries (two with 2700mAH and two with 2650mAH). The 2700mAH batteries were bought few months back and the 2650mAH was new. I charged all the four batteries in a compatible NI-MH charger.

When I put them in my camera and tried to switch it on, the indicator light turns green and immediately to orange and doesn't power on.. I tried twice, but the same problem.

It was perfectly working fine with the non-rechargeable alkaline batteries that came along with the kit.

Please help me on what can be the issue and how to resolve it...

Thanks,
Prat

Brendale
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
Re: Fujifilm s1800 - Battery Problem
In reply to Pratap Venkatesan, Jun 30, 2010

Hi Prat

I don't wish to detract from your battery question but I am wanting to know what the IQ is like with the S1800? Very few people seem to own them and before I purchase one it would be great to hear some hands-on comments.

Sorry I can't help with your battery problem!

Cheers
Bren

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
labe
labe MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,909Gear list
Like?
Re: Fujifilm s1800 - Battery Problem..Prat

first thing i'd do is buy a set of alkaline batteries to make sure the camera is still working ok. Secondly i'd try the rechargables in another appliance and make sure they are charging properly. I use energizer 2450ni-mh in my s2000hd which is a very simular camera to the s1800. It could well be that your charger is faulty or it doesn't like you using 2 different rated batteries in it. cheers Paul UK
--
new to technology,always learning

labe's gear list:labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-5 II +2 more
HansN46
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?

IMO it's wrong to use two different kind of batteries (2700 & 2650 mAh) together. You should buy a complete set of 4 similar batteries (and still better two sets).

But what charger do you have? Is it switchable from loading two batteries to loading 4 batteries and have you forgot to switch?

I used to have an s8000fd and used two sets of simalar batteries each.
Set 1: Eneloop 1.2 V, 2000 mAh; absolutely top and long lasting!
Set 2: ReCyKo 1.2 V, 2050 mAh. Almost same quality.

-- hide signature --

Happy photographing!

HansN46's gear list:HansN46's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +7 more
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?

Pratap Venkatesan wrote:

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Fujifilm s1800 and used it for a while with the Alkaline batteries that came along with the kit.

As they got drained off, I used rechargeable NI-MH batteries (two with 2700mAH and two with 2650mAH). The 2700mAH batteries were bought few months back and the 2650mAH was new. I charged all the four batteries in a compatible NI-MH charger.

When I put them in my camera and tried to switch it on, the indicator light turns green and immediately to orange and doesn't power on.. I tried twice, but the same problem.

It was perfectly working fine with the non-rechargeable alkaline batteries that came along with the kit.

Please help me on what can be the issue and how to resolve it...

The S1800 needs to be told in the Setup Menu what type of batteries are being used. There are three choices, alkaline, NiMH and lithium. Did you remember to set it to NiMH? If it's set to either of the other two types the S1800 will probably think that the voltage is too low to operate safely.

As has been already mentioned, it's not a good idea to use batteries unless they're all the same, but if your 2700 and 2650 mAh batteries are in good condition the S1800 should still be able to take a very large number of shots. Fuji's numbers assume that the flash is used at full power for 1/2 of the shots and if the flash isn't used you may even be able to take twice the specified number of pictures. The number is 300 shots for alkalines, 500 for NiMH and 700 for lithium batteries.

You should also be aware that with your rechargeable batteries, to get the claimed 500 shots (remember that your numbers will differ, depending on how you use the camera) you'd have to shoot them within a few days of charging them because standard NiMH batteries lose their charge fairly quickly whether they're in the camera or stored in a drawer. Also, most of the Fuji users that have reported poor battery life (with other cameras, such as the HS10) were not using new NiMH batteries. In almost all cases when they bought a new set of "pre-charged" (aka low self-discharge) batteries, battery life was no longer a problem.

These "pre-charged" batteries may seem at first glance to be inferior because they are currently available with 2,000 and 2,100 ratings, but they're actually much better. In many cases they're good for more shots per charge than higher capacity standard NiMH batteries and lose their capacity at an extremely slow rate, retaining most of their charge even if the last time they were charged was more than a year earlier. First sold by Sanyo they were called "Eneloop" batteries. Now they're available from most battery manufacturers. RayOVac's are "Hybrid". Maxell's are called "Re:Co" (weird). Some don't have a particular name, but they all can be easily identified on their packaging because unlike standard NiMH cells they're able to be used right out of the package without needing the normal initial charge. The packaging will indicate this, either by saying "pre-charged" or "ready to use".

Brendale
Like?
In reply to Billx08, Jun 30, 2010

Can anyone PLEASE give some information about IQ of the S1800??????

Billx08
Like?
Fujifilm s1800 IQ
In reply to Brendale, Jun 30, 2010

Brendale wrote:

Can anyone PLEASE give some information about IQ of the S1800??????

I've never used the S1800 but given its specifications it's probably nearly indistinguishable from the IQ produced by Fuji's other small sensor S-series cameras. This means that the IQ should be very good for prints up to about 8"x10" but will struggle with parts of the image that contain fine detail, such as grass, leaves, fur, hair, etc. This is also true for the much more expensive HS10. To get better IQ you'd want to get one of Fuji's cameras that have larger sensors, but several of them have been recently discontinued, such as the F200EXR but a few might still be available from small camera shops that don't do a lot of business. Nearly as good would be Fuji's F80EXR (which is still available or in production). In case you aren't aware, the S1800 is one of six very similar cameras, so similar that the same manual is used for all of them. These are the S2500HD, S2700HD, S1800, S1900, S1600 and S1700. The first four use the same 18x lens and the last two use a 15x lens. Another thing that you might find interesting is that all of Fuji's "EXR" cameras have very high dynamic ranges, exceeded only by cameras that have much larger sensors, such as DSLRs. The greater DR helps to produce images that don't suffer as much as other cameras from the loss of shadow detail and the blown highlights that you can get from shooting outdoors on very bright days and in other types of poor light.

One camera that does have a full review is the S8000fd. It also has an 18x lens but instead of having the S1800's 12mp sensor, the S8000fd has an 8mp sensor. It's probably too much to go into here, but this means that the S8000fd may be able to produce images with slightly greater IQ. A clue is that the S1800 really only allows you to choose between two apertures (for any given focal length), and instead of being a choice between two actual apertures, they're both the same, with a neutral density filter being used to simulate a smaller aperture. The S8000fd's images should be very similar to what the S1800 produces so you could look at DPReview's sample images in the full review of the S8000fd to get a pretty good idea of what to expect from the S1800. These are 38 images that are available in both a reduced size (1024x1024) for quick viewing as well as the full image size. You could download them to view on your computer or play with them with your own photo editor, and this should show what you might expect to get from an S1800. Whether it delivers more than you're expecting or not enough really depends on your needs, but it should be good enough for most people.

[Start of review]   http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms8000fd/

[Conclusion page]   http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms8000fd/page17.asp

[Sample images]   http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms8000fd/page18.asp

P.S. Just before posting I found that Steves-Digicams has a review of the S2550HD (which I noted above is pretty much like the S1800) so the sample photos from this camera should be identical to the S1800's images. I don't know if the S2550HD is a minor tweak of the S2500HD or if (as Fuji often does) the name was changed for a different market. Here's a small quote from the review :

For 2010, FujiFilm released two new super-zoom models that offer pretty much identical specifications, the S1800 and S2550HD. Both models offer a 12-megapixel CCD image sensor, an 18x optical zoom lens, 3.0-inch LCD screens, Dual image stabilization, Tracking AF mode, 720p HD video recording, ISO capabilities up to 6400, SR Auto, AA power source and much more. All these powerful specifications are packed into a comfortable frame, with a dSLR look and feel.

The only difference between the S1800 and S2550HD is the latter features a HDMI port. Be sure to continue reading as we take a closer look at the S2550HD model.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/fujifilm/finepix-s2550hd/fujifilm-finepix-s2550hd-review.html

the blip
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
In reply to Brendale, Jul 1, 2010

bren...good chap...please post your own queries about something rather than tagging along...

Brendale
Like?
Re: Fujifilm s1800 IQ
In reply to Billx08, Jul 1, 2010

Thanks SO much for taking the time to reply with your good information. You've been very helpful - now back to the battery talk !!!!!

Brendale
Like?
In reply to the blip, Jul 1, 2010

Message for The Blip - this chap is a chapette thank you!! As very few people seem to have the S1800HD I thought it was an opportunity to get an opinion from someone who obviously owns one. As it turns out Billx08 was VERY kind to take the time to help me - and didn't seem irritated by the deviation of his original topic.

Billx08
Like?
Re: Fujifilm s1800 IQ
In reply to Brendale, Jul 1, 2010

Brendale wrote:

Thanks SO much for taking the time to reply with your good information. You've been very helpful - now back to the battery talk !!!!!

You're welcome, and if you do get an S1800 (or any other camera that uses AA batteries), to minimize or avoid the possibility of battery problems such as the OP has, if you want to use NiMH batteries instead of AA alkalines or lithiums, make sure to get the "pre-charged" type that I mentioned earlier in this thread. They don't suffer from many of the problems that standard NiMH batteries can have.

Pratap Venkatesan
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: Fujifilm s1800 - Battery Problem..Prat
In reply to labe, Jul 2, 2010

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have found out the solution. Its actually not a solution but a overlook from my side. The camera was in the EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) mode and hence there was no display in the lcd and I thought the batteries were faulty. This is because I used to have a point and shoot camera before and now as I have changed to this advanced ultrazoom camera.... I am getting these starting hiccups....

Moreover I came to know that battery capacities doesn't matter. You can insert a 1800mah, 2500mah into a same camera at once.....

Thanks for your guidance mate...

Cheers,
Pratap

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads