Trading 450D for 550D

Started Jun 23, 2010 | Discussions
Tara Pacheco
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Trading 450D for 550D
Jun 23, 2010

I've been hoping to upgrade to a 5D, but can't justify the price now or in the foreseeable future. From what I've been hearing and reading, however, a nice upgrade from the 450D would be the 550D.

Has anyone gone from the 450D to the 550D, or can anyone at least tell me if it's worth the upgrade?

Lantern
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: Trading 450D for 550D
In reply to Tara Pacheco, Jun 23, 2010

What's holding your photography back with the 450D?
Your answer will help to guide which body you need.
What lenses are you using?

Lantern's gear list:Lantern's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leroyvanhee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810
Like?

I traded my 450 for a 550. My reasons were to get video and higher ISO stills. I think the video was most compelling. I'm happy with my decision.

brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,605
Like?

Tara Pacheco wrote:

I've been hoping to upgrade to a 5D, but can't justify the price now or in the foreseeable future. From what I've been hearing and reading, however, a nice upgrade from the 450D would be the 550D.

Apart from the video, which I would not use and is of course a huge upgrade if you would use it, for me the increased IQ is worth it. The 550D handles noise in shadow areas a lot better, and higher ISO settings get to be usable too.

So to me, the upgrade makes sense, although I do not like the prospect of even bigger RAW files.

Has anyone gone from the 450D to the 550D, or can anyone at least tell me if it's worth the upgrade?

I will not (yet) upgrade my 450D, for money reasons. Whether it will make sense for you I do not know, as I do not know what makes you feel you want to upgrade from the 450D (which is a nice DSLR).

So... first tell what makes you want to upgrade.

Also... no mention of what you use it for, what kind of lenses you use. Upgrading/expanding lenses can be much more worthwhile that upgrading a DSLR body.

lunar524
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?

I had the 450 for a while before buying a Nikon D5000, and now I have the 550D.

I think the focus is a little better on the 550d, and of course you also have that very good video recording option.

In regard to picture quality, I found the 450 was pretty good, and when comparing shots taken from the 450 and the D5000, there was really little difference. TBH I dont see a lot of difference in actual image quality from the 450 and my current 550d, I would like to believe the 550 is a touch better, but it's barely noticable, though it definately is better when some good glass is on the front, though the kit lens is fairly reasonable anyway.

So a difficult choice, I think the focusing on the 550 is pretty good, and quite fast too, and there is that very nice video option, which is actually very good indeed for a DSLR. The low noise high ISO is also worth mentioning.

TBH, if you have no interest whatsoever in the video option, the advantages are not that great, I don't think there's a lot of visible benefit by having the larger pixel count, focus is slightly better, the low noise higher ISO is quite handy, as is the better exposure system, slightly better LCD etc.

Majority of people buy the 550D not just for the extra goodies, but a big factor is that they also like to own the latest,most recent model, ie. the snob factor...lol yes that does exist a little even with camera's.

Your choice.

seri_art
Senior MemberPosts: 2,157Gear list
Like?
In reply to brightcolours, Jun 23, 2010

Have you seen good evidence that is true, vs. "pushing" the 450D/XSi in RAW conversion?

brightcolours wrote:

higher ISO settings get to be usable too.

seri_art's gear list:seri_art's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
tom sugnet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,341Gear list
Like?
upgrade vs replacement
In reply to seri_art, Jun 23, 2010

Going from one Rebel to another is no upgrade, it's a replacement.

The real upgrade would be getting 50d or 7d, with much better autofocusing, speed, microfocus adjustment and many more.

-- hide signature --

Feel free to visit my photo sites:
http://tom.st , http://www.foto.tom.st

tom sugnet's gear list:tom sugnet's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye
brightcolours
Like?
Re: upgrade vs replacement
In reply to tom sugnet, Jun 23, 2010

tom sugnet wrote:

Going from one Rebel to another is no upgrade, it's a replacement.

The real upgrade would be getting 50d or 7d, with much better autofocusing, speed, microfocus adjustment and many more.

-- hide signature --

Feel free to visit my photo sites:
http://tom.st , http://www.foto.tom.st

That is just nonsense. Of course a 550D is an upgrade from a 450D, in many respects (movie mode, upgraded screen, upgraded sensor).

Lovely, your almost always not nuanced posts.

brightcolours
Like?
In reply to seri_art, Jun 23, 2010

seri_art wrote:

Have you seen good evidence that is true, vs. "pushing" the 450D/XSi in RAW conversion?

I have a 450D myself, and I know its weaknesses, yes. Noise in shadow and bokeh areas is certainly NOT its strong point, especially with dark brown/green areas. The 550D is lot better in that respect, for sure. And this also shows in higher ISO usage.
The 7D and 550D are just a lot better.

brightcolours wrote:

higher ISO settings get to be usable too.

greg mclemore
Contributing MemberPosts: 721Gear list
Like?
In reply to lunar524, Jun 23, 2010

Going from the 450 to the 550 in my opinion is certainly a reasonable upgrade. From the 450 to the Nikon 5000, not so. If you make enlargements or crop a lot, the different is substantial, also the metering zone, 35 vs 63, more precision and accuracy,much better high iso characteristics, not to mention full HD Video. In general the 550 is in many ways 7D like. If you are happy with your 450, 400, 350 etc. keep it. for me the upgrade was worth the price.
Greg

greg mclemore's gear list:greg mclemore's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Nikon D2H Nikon D200 Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7100 +14 more
lacix
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?

Focusing success rate increased from 65-90% compare to my 450D.
I really do not know the reason for that. Than of course the much nicer LCD

the higher resolution sensor and the incredible movie capabilities made this upgrade to 550D a very good decision.

UBL

lacix's gear list:lacix's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +1 more
jsmiller
Contributing MemberPosts: 751
Like?

I went from a 450D to a 550D. I was very happy with the 450D, but was pleasantly surprised to find how big the upgrade is with the 550D, much bigger than I expected. First the image quality is definitely higher. Part of this is the higher resolution sensor. You can easily see this in the images, and this allows bigger enlargements and tighter crops. Second, the high ISO performance is dramatically better. There is simply no comparison. That was one of the main reasons I got the 550D, as I often work in low-light situations. The third appeal to me was the video capability, but I haven't even used it yet! Even without the video, I find the 550 a significant upgrade over the 450D with a number of other small, but significant advantages that I like (e.g., the fine viewing screen). It has made me put off the purchase of a 5D II for a while.

Joe

Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,194
Like?
Re: upgrade vs replacement
In reply to tom sugnet, Jun 23, 2010

Upgrade is in the eye of the beholder... I own a Xsi and recently bought a 50D but some find the 550D more favorable. Though I prefer my Xsi to the 50D usually... I just needed a second body and figure to not get the same I already have.
--

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

Sam Samych
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?

Went same way 450-> 550 and it's worth it for me. Really like the look of images, easly go up to ISO 3200, better metering as was mentioned. Plus I use video. Plus many small changes that add up to one nice upgrade!

stratobill
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tara Pacheco, Jun 24, 2010

I was not planning on upgrading but my niece needed a camera for a class so I used that as an excuse.

I was not expecting the improvement I got in exposure accuracy and autofocus, and color rendition even seems better. This is not through scientific testing, the pics just look better all around to my eye. Better detail as well due to the megapixel count. And higher iso pics look better.

In addition the wider iso range, much better auto iso, better screen, better grip material- lots of little things.

And I haven't even tried the movie mode yet.

stratobill's gear list:stratobill's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
s majesk
Contributing MemberPosts: 587
Like?
Just be Patient!
In reply to Tara Pacheco, Jun 24, 2010

There's a Replacement for Both the 5DmkII and the 550D
Coming sooner than anyone expects!
Just take a look what Sony's announced!
Panasonic is poised Again too!
And the Koreans?
The Market is Hotter than it's ever been, Canon can't
afford to sit back Now!
This next Year or two will decide whether Canon StillDominates,
or Falls by the wayside, like Nikon?
These companies don't care how many models they
Throw at Us, B.S.,B.B.!
The 450 will do you just fine in the mean time, and has
already depreciated enough so trading a little later, won't matter?

jsmiller
Contributing MemberPosts: 751
Like?
Re: Just be Patient!
In reply to s majesk, Jun 24, 2010

s majesk wrote:

There's a Replacement for Both the 5DmkII and the 550D
Coming sooner than anyone expects!
Just take a look what Sony's announced!
Panasonic is poised Again too!
And the Koreans?
The Market is Hotter than it's ever been, Canon can't
afford to sit back Now!
This next Year or two will decide whether Canon StillDominates,
or Falls by the wayside, like Nikon?
These companies don't care how many models they
Throw at Us, B.S.,B.B.!
The 450 will do you just fine in the mean time, and has
already depreciated enough so trading a little later, won't matter?

Right. In fact, be a little more patient, say a few years, and things will even be better. If you can wait five years, the difference will be major. In fact, hold on for about 10, and then you will find unbelievable changes.

Joe

leroyvanhee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810
Like?
In reply to jsmiller, Jun 24, 2010

Right. In fact, be a little more patient, say a few years, and things will even be better. If you can wait five years, the difference will be major. In fact, hold on for about 10, and then you will find unbelievable changes.

Joe

Ya, maybe they'll offer a DSLR with a built in cell phone, or...

Sam Samych
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
In reply to s majesk, Jun 24, 2010

Just checked updates and news - and not sure found anything interesting. What exactly did Sony annonce that compares to T2i?
Update for 5DII might be close, but that's an all together different world...

And one other note - whatever technology we buy, there is always something new coming up. Does this mean we should not buy anything? And does the new version of 5DII mean T2i is not capable of taking great pictures?

The XSi is a great little camera and absolutely capable of great images but T2i is just a better camera.

Mlots
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
In reply to lunar524, Jun 25, 2010

This might be a stupid question, but does the 550d's low noise at high iso settings surpass the Nikon D5000?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads