Against the light images with Coolpix 700 and 500G/SE

Started Jun 23, 2010 | Discussions
schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,091Gear list
Like?
Against the light images with Coolpix 700 and 500G/SE
Jun 23, 2010

I've always liked the effect that the old Coolpix 700 manage to create with some careful handling and not found that feature in any other compact until now.

I don't remember if I got any good chance to try it out with the 400G, but after having found an other one I'll certainly try to do it.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,255
Like?
Re: Against the light images with Coolpix 700 and 500G/SE
In reply to schaki, Jun 23, 2010

If I may say... a strong light source shining toward the camera lens is in general bad light for making a good photo. The subject is poorly illuminated for photography and the camera tries to compensate for the light source, killing much of the detail and color of the subject. So, I'm not very keen on those shots, but that's just me - other people may well find something to their liking in them.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
schaki
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Jun 24, 2010

Yes, Exposure use to go completely to hell unless one is careful and most of the time I don't bother trying to get it extremely good either. At least for me it is more about trying to catch a nice moment and a feeling.

One from today.

An unusually warm day early in February 2008. I was waiting for the train and in the meantime I played with the camera.

Contax TVS Digital
Midwest
Like?
In reply to schaki, Jun 25, 2010

Actually, that second shot - the 'early morning' one - does have an interesting look that would make a good 'arty' print on the wall.

schaki
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Jun 25, 2010

Midwest wrote:

Actually, that second shot - the 'early morning' one - does have an interesting look that would make a good 'arty' print on the wall.

Yes, I've printed a few pictures in A4 size from that 2mp camera in the past and it came out well. I doubt it can do A3 size though but haven't tried yet.

I've kept that camera to use for against light shooting but the 500SE handles these situations well too.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Nov 24, 2010

Some more.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Apr 21, 2011

Late in the day and the sunset gets closer. Liked the both the light and the shadows of the trees.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Nov 10, 2012

Contax TVS Digital
Midwest
Like?
In reply to schaki, Nov 10, 2012

I guess I just don't 'get' this exercise. Mostly these pics consist of a bright spot, and a foreground so deeply in shadow that most of the detail is hard or impossible to see. I did like the 'early morning' photo much more as the sunlight in the distance also reflected off some image details as highlights and made for an interesting effect.

Each to his or her own taste I suppose- jut my .02. As long as you're enjoying shooting them, that is what counts most, right?

-- hide signature --

Do people really spend $700 on a camera so they can take a picture of a squirrel or a duck?

schaki
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Nov 11, 2012

I like trying to capture views, the feeling and the mode pictures like these sometimes can tell.

To me it is a nice challenge to try and get it right. I think it is a difficult 'art' to master trying to get the right feeling or mode within the image as to say. Sometimes I manage and sometimes not. It is almost always a challenge each time I get a good opportunity to try.

It is also fun trying to do what is possible from a given scene, not only like these.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
Re: Against the light images with RDC-6000
In reply to schaki, 10 months ago

Autumn yes

Contax TVS Digital
Helje
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Re: Against the light images with RDC-6000
In reply to schaki, 10 months ago

These kinds of images where one shoots directly into the light source is also known as contre-jour or "against daylight" photography, which tends to emphasize shapes and lines, and often produces silhouettes. It can certainly lead to photos with an interesting mood.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads