Any difference between Japanese and USA Nex 5 models?

Started Jun 20, 2010 | Discussions
snay1345
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
Any difference between Japanese and USA Nex 5 models?
Jun 20, 2010

I am really looking to get a nex5 to use when I don't want to bring my dslr around, and I am thrilled that there is a smaller camera out there that will suit my needs well. But I live in Japan right now and I notice the nex5 isn't out in the states yet. But I could go down to hiroshima and get a nex5 right now. But if I get one and eventually when I move back to the states would everything be interchangable? Thanks for the info.

Frenske
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,180
Like?
Re: Any difference between Japanese and USA Nex 5 models?
In reply to snay1345, Jun 20, 2010

Sony has the tendency not to put other languages on the Japanese versions, so that might be an issue if you don't speak Japanese or want to sell the camera on after upgrading or other. Other than that there should not be much difference.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
felixhsieh
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?

Japanese model has Japanese menus only, and warranty will be honored only inside Japan. Also, Japan offers the double lens kit.

As mentioned in other threads, the international kit is apparently now available in Japan (with English menus and supposedly international warranty), albeit at a higher price.

felixhsieh's gear list:felixhsieh's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7
snay1345
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
In reply to felixhsieh, Jun 20, 2010

hmm,, thanks for the info. I will have to just go down there myself and see which version they are selling.

seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,628Gear list
Like?

One more thing to note, the international version of the NEX 5 I saw in Japan was PAL.

I believe the NEX 5 can only work with TV's that use the same system, whereas the NEX 3 can switch automatically.
--
A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
neodraig
Regular MemberPosts: 209
Like?
In reply to seachicken2000, Jun 20, 2010

That's weird that you found a PAL camera, the standard in Japan is NTSC, just like in the U.S..

You should check you TV, but I live in Europe, and though my TV is PAL I can plug NTSC devices on it. It was a problem some years ago, but now with a decent TV it should be OK.

seachicken2000
Like?
In reply to neodraig, Jun 20, 2010

Im not really an expert on TVs .. just reiterating what I read in the manual.

The camera I found in Japan was an export model, intended to be sold to tourists, for a higher but negotiable price, and also duty free. There may also be NTSC export models available but the shop I tried only had PAL.
--

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
lehaivn204
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to felixhsieh, Jun 30, 2010

Hi, I have bought a Nex 5 camera at japan (4/june), It only support Japan language. Now, I want change language from Japanese Language to English,
Pls, You can help me
My camera still use vertion 1.00, If you have newer vertion you can sent to me
Thankyou very much
My Email: leduonghai79@yahoo.com / lehai625@gmail.com

seachicken2000
Like?
In reply to lehaivn204, Jun 30, 2010

I'm sorry but I don't think there is a way to change the firmware from the Japanese local version. This is Sony's (evil) policy to prevent cameras bought in Japan from being exported. Unfortunately it's natural to assume that a modern camera will come with multilingual support, and people buy them without realizing.

It might be possible in theory to hack the software that loads the firmware so that the international firmware can be loaded. This has been done for some of the Panasonic m4/3 cameras, but I've never heard of it being done for the NEX.

Here is a link to the download area of the Japanese Sony support site.
http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/dslr/products/nex-5/download.html

I am guessing that this is where the firmware updates will be put.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads