Types of Lens Hoods: Tulip, Folding Rubber, etc...

Started Jun 14, 2010 | Discussions
char04
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Types of Lens Hoods: Tulip, Folding Rubber, etc...
Jun 14, 2010

I'm pretty new to photography--just bought a 550d a couple months ago. I've learned so, so much from just reading on these forums, so thank you. However, I could use some clarification regarding lens hoods. From what I've read, they definitely sound like a good thing to add to my bag--both for lens protection as well as reducing flare (please correct me if I'm wrong). But, there are a ton of different types of lens hoods--which would be the best for me to start out with? I'm seeing folding rubber ones and "tulip" ones and screw-in metal ones... The telephoto and macro ones are self-explanatory, but I'm a little lost with the others.

At this point, I only have the kit lens, 18-55mm, and the 55-250mm, so a 58mm lens hood should work for both, correct? Would I need a telephoto one for the 55-250mm?

Thanks for all your help, everyone!
Charlene

AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,422Gear list
Like?
Re: Types of Lens Hoods: Tulip, Folding Rubber, etc...
In reply to char04, Jun 14, 2010
  • Some lenses come with custom designed hoods for free.

• Rubber ones were popular when we were shooting prime lenses in the film era, I still use one. However, they are generic - they don't know what lens you will fit on so their baffling against the light may be too shallow (not effective enough) for the 200mm and give you vignette or obstruction when you are at the 50mm of the lens. They also screw on which means if you want to fit filters, and take them on/off, you are screwing two things on and off. They do not give you physical feedback when you touch a table or a wall so they don't help you avoid harder knocks.

• Plastic ones often mount on bayonet grips - that means they allow you to easily screw in and out a filter. They have to be custom designed per each lens since they are not collapsible flexible.

• Tele hoods are long because the lens does not see much sideways. Wide angle ones are petal shaped because the lens sees a lot sideways and you don't want to obstruct the view.

• What happens when you have a zoom lens that varies in angle of coverage? The makers design a hood that is the least obstructive i.e. for the widest angle of the lens rather than for the tele angle of the lens. You brand and model of lens with have a custom designed hood, it may not be free on a case by case basis.

char04 wrote:

I'm pretty new to photography--just bought a 550d a couple months ago. I've learned so, so much from just reading on these forums, so thank you. However, I could use some clarification regarding lens hoods. From what I've read, they definitely sound like a good thing to add to my bag--both for lens protection as well as reducing flare (please correct me if I'm wrong). But, there are a ton of different types of lens hoods--which would be the best for me to start out with? I'm seeing folding rubber ones and "tulip" ones and screw-in metal ones... The telephoto and macro ones are self-explanatory, but I'm a little lost with the others.

At this point, I only have the kit lens, 18-55mm, and the 55-250mm, so a 58mm lens hood should work for both, correct? Would I need a telephoto one for the 55-250mm?

Thanks for all your help, everyone!
Charlene

-- hide signature --

Ananda
http://anandasim.blogspot.com

'There are a whole range of greys and colours - from
the photographer who shoots everything in iA / green
AUTO to the one who shoots Manual Everything. There
is no right or wrong - there are just instances of
individuality and individual choice.'

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,398Gear list
Like?
In reply to char04, Jun 15, 2010

Canon for some reason, doesn't include hoods on many of their less expensive lenses. I don't know why. It makes little sense to me.

I would buy the hood from the manufacturer that is offered specifically for the lens it's intended for. It will more likely not vignette and be the right size for that focal length.

Petal designs are the best but I often prefer the older metal screw in models. A hood desgined for an 18-55 will vignette on a telephoto lens.

I finanically always use a hood and never a protection filter. My opinion.
--
Cheers, Craig

Equipment in Plan via Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +25 more
Granamere
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487
Like?
In reply to Guidenet, Jun 15, 2010

I prefer the rubber hoods for the simple fact you can fold them back to get them out of the way if they are in the shot. I agree they might not provide the best funcitional hood out there but the fact they fold up for storage so they do not take up much room cost under $10 so it to me is worth it.

Gary J Jensen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,204
Like?

Guidenet wrote:

... A hood desgined for an 18-55 will vignette on a telephoto lens....

I think you meant to say that a hood designed for a telephoto lens will vignette on a wide angle [e.g., 18-55] lens.

Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,398Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary J Jensen, Jun 15, 2010

Gary J Jensen wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

I think you meant to say that a hood designed for a telephoto lens will vignette on a wide angle [e.g., 18-55] lens.

Ouch! Thanks. My mistake.
--
Cheers, Craig

Equipment in Plan via Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +25 more
Les Olson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,081
Like?
In reply to char04, Jun 15, 2010

Hoods are important in reducing flare. Hoods will not improve every photograph, but there is no situation where there is any harm from using a hood; certainly, any time you are outdoors you should use a hood.

Hoods on zoom lenses are not as much use as they could be, however, because a hood that blocks stray light but does not cause vignetting at (say) 18mm is far too short at 55mm. You really need a different length hood for every focal length of a zoom (you need a different length hood for each different aperture as well, but that is normally ignored), so variable or bellows hoods are what you would have in the best of all possible worlds, rather than solid plastic ones.

There is a lot of useful information, including things like why petal hoods have that funny shape, at http://toothwalker.org/optics/lenshood.html .
--
A l'eau, c'est l'heure! (French naval motto)

DemiLion
Senior MemberPosts: 1,812
Like?

Guidenet wrote:

Gary J Jensen wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

Ouch! Thanks. My mistake.
--

I'm bookmarking that rare lapse!

char04
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to DemiLion, Jun 15, 2010

Okay, thanks, guys! Sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread (weird work schedule), but I definitely appreciate all the info you've given. It looks like a lens hood will be a wise purchase...

Charlene

apaflo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,854
Like?
In reply to char04, Jun 16, 2010

char04 wrote:

Okay, thanks, guys! Sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread (weird work schedule), but I definitely appreciate all the info you've given. It looks like a lens hood will be a wise purchase...

Do yourself a favor though, and think about some of what was said...

I put a step up ring and a 77mm rubber hood on every lens I use that has 77mm or smaller filter threads.

Granamere
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487
Like?
In reply to Les Olson, Jun 16, 2010

You know a tulip hood that expanded in and out like a flower or a ridged plastic one like the expandable camping cups would be a really good invention. Both would have limits but I would buy at lease one of each.

Ansonn
Contributing MemberPosts: 680
Like?
In reply to char04, Jun 16, 2010

I use a 58mm folding rubber hood on my Canon 55-250 lens and it works great. It's not too long or too short. It may or may not vignnet at 18mm on the 18-55 lens but otherwise is a good Choice. I haven't had any problems using the in camera flash with the hood extended but you can fold the hood back if need be. Good luck with the 550D. It's a very good camera. Ansonn

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads