Epson high capacity carts (98) vs standard capacity (99)

Started Jun 3, 2010 | Discussions
Margaret995
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
Epson high capacity carts (98) vs standard capacity (99)
Jun 3, 2010

I am nearly ready to order my first replacement carts for my Artisan 710.

It looks like the approx yields of these carts makes them pretty much equal on price per page.

Can anyone tell me if their actual experience is greatly different?

BTW, I am having great results with this, my first Epson printer.

THANKS
--
Margaret995
Canon G9

na goodman
Regular MemberPosts: 496
Like?
Re: Epson high capacity carts (98) vs standard capacity (99)
In reply to Margaret995, Jun 4, 2010

The 98's give you about 40% more ink so it is a better value for you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevegep
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
In reply to Margaret995, Jun 5, 2010

I just received 5 genuine cartridges (98's) for my Artisan 810 and paid $50 + std shipping from Wholesale321, which was listed on Amazon. I live in MN, cut the order late Tues. night, and received the cartridges today (Friday), via USPS! And this from NY City.

I used to support a device that used real cheap HP ink cartridges, and the summer heat always caused them to leak. Therefore, when I order cartridges, I try to avoid long shipping delays and the southern states during the summer (unless the shipping is fast).

Epson claims the '98's have 70% more ink than the '99's.

As soon as I see how long these new cartridges last, I'll need to make a decision whether to stay with OEM inks or find a cheaper alternative.

Hope this helps.

na goodman
Regular MemberPosts: 496
Like?
In reply to stevegep, Jun 5, 2010

Actually right on Epson website it says about 50% more printing with the 98 cartridge. If you order 3 or more cartridges it is free shipping from Epson.

John-G
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,931
Like?
In reply to na goodman, Jun 6, 2010

na goodman wrote:

Actually right on Epson website it says about 50% more printing with the 98 cartridge. If you order 3 or more cartridges it is free shipping from Epson.

Assuming the Epson figures are correct, the 98 cartridges cost approx. 50% more, so what is gained?

stevegep
Like?
In reply to na goodman, Jun 7, 2010

You're right--it says 50% on the website. However, what's that 70% something that's on the pictures of the package? All of the sites have the same picture.

Anyway, best wishes.

Margaret995
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevegep, Jun 10, 2010

Thanks, everyone. Your comments pretty much summarize where I am in my thinking on this.

It would seem that it is darned near impossible to find out just what the difference is, and thus equally impossible to be an informed consumer.

Wonderful, yes?

I may inquire with Epson, and if I get the same sort of yada yada yada I got once when asking HP a similar question, then I will march off into the sunset til the warranty runs out on my new printer, then perhaps join the ranks of remanufactured users after that.

-- hide signature --

Margaret995
Canon G9

stevegep
Like?
In reply to Margaret995, Jun 26, 2010

I was at Office Depot yesterday and saw the multi-pack for the 98's. While the website claims that there's 50% more ink in the cartridges, the label on the multi-pack says that one would get 70% more prints than with the 99 cartridges. Go figure.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads