24/1.4G: NikonUSA confirms focus issue

Started Jun 2, 2010 | Discussions
em_dee_aitch
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,675
Like?
24/1.4G: NikonUSA confirms focus issue
Jun 2, 2010

Normally I think it's discourteous to quote Nikon verbatim from a private email, but due to the amount of abuse I've taken from certain skeptics here, I'm going to give you the relevant excerpt. This is from the NikonUSA General Manager of Technical Support:

Nikon Service was able to reproduce your issue with your lens as well as another lens. They are currently studying the issue and trying to determine if/when it can be addressed.

I think that speaks for itself. Now that the issue is acknowledged, you're free to decide whether it is of any significance to your particular lens or whether your lens is affected. Obviously that statement is not enough to say that all are affected, but they do obviously have at least two affected samples in their hands at the moment.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sfbayweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco, CA | Austin, TX
Certified Wedding Photography Junky™

avir
Regular MemberPosts: 228
Like?
Re: 24/1.4G: NikonUSA confirms focus issue
In reply to em_dee_aitch, Jun 2, 2010

Thank you very much for the update.

I wanted to get the 24mm but I am holding off until the focus issue is cleared and it is great that you have taken this issue to Nikon support and they recognized the problem.

Please keep updating! --Avi

em_dee_aitch wrote:

Normally I think it's discourteous to quote Nikon verbatim from a private email, but due to the amount of abuse I've taken from certain skeptics here, I'm going to give you the relevant excerpt. This is from the NikonUSA General Manager of Technical Support:

Nikon Service was able to reproduce your issue with your lens as well as another lens. They are currently studying the issue and trying to determine if/when it can be addressed.

I think that speaks for itself. Now that the issue is acknowledged, you're free to decide whether it is of any significance to your particular lens or whether your lens is affected. Obviously that statement is not enough to say that all are affected, but they do obviously have at least two affected samples in their hands at the moment.

-- hide signature --

David Hill

-- hide signature --

Avi Revivo
My Photography Blog - http://www.revivo.co.il

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Waldo_O
Senior MemberPosts: 1,538
Like?

em_dee_aitch wrote:

David you don't have to justify your situation to Lenny, Vinnie, Benny or any of the other forum clowns around here who are insisting they know more about your camera/lens than you do. Since when did it become so difficult to test the AF of a lens I'm wondering - hey look, there's a cereal box with big, bold lettering, where's my patent!

oh and to my good friend Leonard, please point me to that stupid drawing just one more time. I'm counting on ya brother...

David if you've ever had dreams of turning your D700 + strap into a mace and taking care of a little business, fear not! You're not alone!

avyoung
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?

Hi David,

My lens is still with Nikon Canada--almost 3 weeks now. My D700 and lens have been sent to the main service branch in Ontario from my service branch in British Columbia, so it must be a significant problem. My concern at the moment is how long will I be without my equipment.

I too have met arrogance from others on another forum regarding potential AF problems with this lens. Very insulting.

Again I appreciate you sharing your experiences here on the forum.

em_dee_aitch
Like?
In reply to avyoung, Jun 2, 2010

avyoung wrote:

Hi David,

My lens is still with Nikon Canada--almost 3 weeks now. My D700 and lens have been sent to the main service branch in Ontario from my service branch in British Columbia, so it must be a significant problem. My concern at the moment is how long will I be without my equipment.

I too have met arrogance from others on another forum regarding potential AF problems with this lens. Very insulting.

You're welcome, and I thank you as well for being brave enough to share your experience. There is an apparent machine of people on these forums that either for personal emotional reasons (aka "fanboyism") or for some undisclosed financial motive will attempt to shout down and discredit anyone who dares to take on a technical issue with the product.

I agree with you that they seem to be realizing they have a serious issue now. I wish they would be more honest and forthcoming. The NikonUSA/Canada managers should not be leaving it on the shoulders of their customers to do their dirty PR disclosures for them. That is essentially what is going on here, and I slightly resent their leaving all the weight to fall on us instead of taking the heat themselves. However, I do appreciate that they are trying, apparently as best they can, to investigate a solution. I just wish they would communicate better and provide better access to the level of support that their more advanced and professional customers require.

-- hide signature --

David Hill

em_dee_aitch
Like?
In reply to Waldo_O, Jun 2, 2010

Waldo_O wrote:

David you don't have to justify your situation to Lenny, Vinnie, Benny or any of the other forum clowns around here who are insisting they know more about your camera/lens than you do. Since when did it become so difficult to test the AF of a lens I'm wondering - hey look, there's a cereal box with big, bold lettering, where's my patent!

oh and to my good friend Leonard, please point me to that stupid drawing just one more time. I'm counting on ya brother...

David if you've ever had dreams of turning your D700 + strap into a mace and taking care of a little business, fear not! You're not alone!

Waldo -

Thanks for the laugh, btw. It's nice to have a semi-definitive win against Vince and Leonard, though I'm sure they will disagree with this statement!

To me, the only questions remaining are: whether Nikon will figure out how to fix the affected lenses; whether all/most are affected or just a minority; whether they will take the unfortunate yet possible position that this lens will always have spotty AF performance (the "take it or leave it" stance); or even possibly that future cameras will drive it better... This can go lots of different routes from here... As it looks bad to not have this new optical gem working properly now, I hope they issue a fix for current cameras. It would be particularly nice if this just turned out to be a firmware fix. Personally, I am confident that current cameras are capable of driving a 1.4 lens, because my 85/1.4 kicks the tail of both my 24/1.4G and 50/1.4G.

-- hide signature --

David Hill

avyoung
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?

Hi David,

Although Canada is large, we have a small population. I was told that if the lens/body needed any calibration, it would have to be sent to the main Ontario branch as my local branch is not fully equipped. I have not communicated with Nikon service other than asking when they might be finished. All I can gather, is that my D700 and 24/1.4 had a problem that needed to be sent to the main branch. I cannot speculate on the seriousness of the problem.

Having said that, if they intend to keep my equipment for a long period of time, I would like loaner equipment or compensation.

I look forward to hearing more on how Nikon USA handles your equipment.

em_dee_aitch wrote:

avyoung wrote:

Hi David,

You're welcome, and I thank you as well for being brave enough to share your experience. There is an apparent machine of people on these forums that either for personal emotional reasons (aka "fanboyism") or for some undisclosed financial motive will attempt to shout down and discredit anyone who dares to take on a technical issue with the product.

I agree with you that they seem to be realizing they have a serious issue now. I wish they would be more honest and forthcoming. The NikonUSA/Canada managers should not be leaving it on the shoulders of their customers to do their dirty PR disclosures for them. That is essentially what is going on here, and I slightly resent their leaving all the weight to fall on us instead of taking the heat themselves. However, I do appreciate that they are trying, apparently as best they can, to investigate a solution. I just wish they would communicate better and provide better access to the level of support that their more advanced and professional customers require.

-- hide signature --

David Hill

Bostjan Pulko
Regular MemberPosts: 417
Like?

Great news! Although I am sure that for Leonard and Vince there will be something wrong with the AF targets Nikon service is using ....

Well, I have tried a loaner copy od 24/1.4 myself and found the same AF issue as you, Lloyd Chambers and others. I am happy the issue has been confirmed and I am sure Nikon will do something about it.

fpessolano
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116
Like?

Interesting.

I seem to have a copy where AF works well on D700 (at least for the first four days I have it), but my copy seems to have come directly from Japan (I suspect it is a new batch).

Keep us posted ... even if I suspect, next time they tell you something, they will issue an official statement.

Francesco

http://www.siteaside.com/

cisro
Regular MemberPosts: 304
Like?
In reply to Bostjan Pulko, Jun 2, 2010

that explains why we can't get them at all for the time being.

Hafcc
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?

This is good to know.

I'm not interested in the 24G, but I would be very interested in a possible 35mm f/1.4G. Before reading the threads about 24's focusing issues I fully trusted Nikon to be able to deliver a top notch "pro" lens (what would you expect at this price anyway), now I guess I won't be an early adopter for any lens.
--
http://haf.cc

Zachawry
Regular MemberPosts: 456
Like?

Someone call the suicide hotline for Leonard Shepherd.

Kyoto, Japan
http://www.kotodama.net

Bostjan Pulko
Regular MemberPosts: 417
Like?
In reply to fpessolano, Jun 2, 2010

It would be nice to get serial numbers of working and non-working copies of 24/1.4 to see if there is a pattern or maybe a batch problem. The one I've tried was a loaner and I didn't pay any attention to serial number.

cisro
Regular MemberPosts: 304
Like?
In reply to Bostjan Pulko, Jun 2, 2010

it's reported that they produced 1255 copies for USA( #601255 ...) and 2539 copies for the rest of the world.

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#24

fpessolano
Like?
In reply to cisro, Jun 2, 2010

Mine has a serial #20...

Francesco

Photo_AK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,003Gear list
Like?

Well, I guess all we're waiting for now, is Nikon's public statement and a recall ...
The loaner me and Bostjan tried had a serial number of 2002xxx.

-- hide signature --

Robert Capa said 'you can never get close enough'. Well, he did.... He also often visited my daily photoblog at http://logatec.blogspot.com/

Photo_AK's gear list:Photo_AK's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +3 more
Photo_AK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,003Gear list
Like?

fpessolano wrote:

Mine has a serial #20...

Yeah, all 24/1.4G Nikkors have these two digits. For the number to be relevant, we need at least 4 digits, because most if not all of these lenses have serials starting with 200 (200xxxx).

-- hide signature --

Robert Capa said 'you can never get close enough'. Well, he did.... He also often visited my daily photoblog at http://logatec.blogspot.com/

Photo_AK's gear list:Photo_AK's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +3 more
fpessolano
Like?
In reply to Photo_AK, Jun 2, 2010

Serial #2013... (If i remember correctly)

Sorry I never cared to pay attention to the serial after registration. It is oen of the lens specs I do not care about

Francesco

Vince Lagrange
Contributing MemberPosts: 521
Like?
Taken at face value

em_dee_aitch wrote:

Thanks for the laugh, btw. It's nice to have a semi-definitive win against Vince and Leonard, though I'm sure they will disagree with this statement!

Why should I disagree with this statement supposedly from a Nikon employee IF it is true? You know how the old saying about "IF" goes? Like I said early on in this debate I want to be proven wrong and hopefully I am. That being said, I will remain sceptical and question the authenticity and the validity of this supposed statement till it can be confirmed by a public statement from Nikon. At the very least, this might go back to this being a by-product of giving you a pacifier to stop the incessant droning I'm suspecting they had to endure. Either way, I sincerely hope it works out to your satisfaction and you finally get to enjoy the lens.

Johnmel
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: Taken at face value
In reply to Vince Lagrange, Jun 2, 2010

Vince, I think it is a bit rich you doubting the authenticity of the Nikon statement posted by David when you have consistently refused to provide samples of images you have taken using this lens.

Johnmel's gear list:Johnmel's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads