Rebel T2i (550D) - how to check actuations?

Started May 13, 2010 | Discussions
s2kdriver80
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
Rebel T2i (550D) - how to check actuations?
May 13, 2010

Just bought a Rebel T2i (550D) at Best Buy. Threw in the battery and SD card, powered up the camera, but did not get the date/time screen that the manual said I should get if I turned it on for the first time. Wondering if this could be a returned camera. No fingerprints on camera, nor is there anything opened. Is it possible not to get the date/time screen even if it's new? How do I check the shutter actuations. Just don't feel great psychologically, having paid for a new camera.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Paul

UCSDxB0i
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
May or may not work...
In reply to s2kdriver80, May 13, 2010

Canon Cameras

It’s necessary to note that Canon doesn’t store the shutter actuation details in the EXIF data. So for Canon, things are a little different; the best program to check your shutter count is EOS Info.

EOS Info is a neat little program by AstroJargon. It’s freeware, although they do ask for donations if you can spare it. It will provide the shutter count, the serial number, the camera model, the firmware version as well as the owner and date the results as well. EOSInfo works with almost any DSLR, excepting the 500D (may/may not work; their website says not, but it’s worth giving it a shot anyway). How does it work? Simply connect the camera to your computer using a cable, run the program and – voila! Your details are there for your examinations. Prepare to be surprised, though, as sometimes it’s more than you think! It’s not available for Macs, though, only for PC’s; however, EOSInfo is the updated version of the 40D Shutter Count a previous edition, which – despite the name – works on almost any DIGIC III/IV DSLRs, excepting the 1D series. It runs on Macs, using a cable as like EOS Info.

Read more: http://digital-photography-school.com/finding-your-cameras-current-shutter-actuations

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Invisible Man
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
Re: May or may not work...
In reply to UCSDxB0i, May 13, 2010

I would return the camera if I'm not able to register it's warranty online. That would be a sure sign of it having been returned.

The Invisible Man's gear list:The Invisible Man's gear list
Olympus SP-550 UZ Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +53 more
s2kdriver80
Like?
Re: Rebel T2i (550D) - how to check actuations?

Ok thanks for the ideas guys. I will install that software on my other computer tomorrow and give that a try and will try to register.

Though, not having the setup screen show up on first power on, not uncommon? Also, the time was already set correctly, Eastern Std Time. But that might have been set at the factory.
--
Paul

s2kdriver80
Like?
In reply to UCSDxB0i, May 13, 2010

UCSDxB0i wrote:

Canon Cameras

It’s necessary to note that Canon doesn’t store the shutter actuation details in the EXIF data. So for Canon, things are a little different; the best program to check your shutter count is EOS Info.

EOS Info is a neat little program by AstroJargon. It’s freeware, although they do ask for donations if you can spare it. It will provide the shutter count, the serial number, the camera model, the firmware version as well as the owner and date the results as well. EOSInfo works with almost any DSLR, excepting the 500D (may/may not work; their website says not, but it’s worth giving it a shot anyway). How does it work? Simply connect the camera to your computer using a cable, run the program and – voila! Your details are there for your examinations. Prepare to be surprised, though, as sometimes it’s more than you think! It’s not available for Macs, though, only for PC’s; however, EOSInfo is the updated version of the 40D Shutter Count a previous edition, which – despite the name – works on almost any DIGIC III/IV DSLRs, excepting the 1D series. It runs on Macs, using a cable as like EOS Info.

Read more: http://digital-photography-school.com/finding-your-cameras-current-shutter-actuations

I just tried installing and running that software but it can't detect my camera. I also tried Canon's EOS Utility, just to see if I can connect at all, but I get an error there too.

Also, the auto poweroff default for the T2i is 30 seconds. When I went into the menu, it was set to 2 minutes. Now, I'm getting more suspicious. Weird that I didn't find a single fingerprint on the camera (even on the LCD) nor was anything opened. But the time was already set correctly and auto poweroff setting wasn't set at default.
--
Paul

The Invisible Man
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?

In all likelihood, it was a reject. Was informed by my friendly neighbourhood camera shop, that for new cameras, the first time you turn it on, it will ask you to set the time and date. As you mentioned that the date has already been set, I would think that someone had already used it for a time.

Having no finger prints on it doesn't mean that it has never been used. For all we know, someone might have used it with gloved hands or did a very good wipe down of it.

I would definitely go get it returned for a new set.

Cheers.

The Invisible Man's gear list:The Invisible Man's gear list
Olympus SP-550 UZ Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +53 more
Rick Halle
Contributing MemberPosts: 722
Like?

I wouldn't even bother with checking the actuations. Mine came up with the screen to set the time and I doubt the factory is in the Eastern US. I also can't find any seals on my box or packaging that would keep someone from putting the camera back in the box and putting it on the shelf to resell again. There are only a few things sealed inside and none are necessary to play around with the camera a bit. My guess is that it was a return that they carried it over to the geek squad to have check for problems and wipe clean and then put it on the shelf to avoid returning it to Canon or selling at a discount. If it was clearly marked as such with a discount to match then that would be different but in this case I would return it.

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,742Gear list
Like?

Make sure to reset the camera to default settings before you try it again. It could be that they had pulled the camera out of the box to show it to someone who played with some settings and custom functions.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
s2kdriver80
Like?

Thanks guys. Looks like it's going back. It just doesn't sit well with me, psychologically, even if everything were to work great. I paid for a new machine. It's ethically wrong to resell a returned item to a customer paying the cost for a new camera.

Also, what firmware version do you guys have? My current one says 1.0.6.

And lastly, has the T2i been having some quality problems, like how some of the 7D owners were claiming it had? Focus issues? Image sharpness?

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Rick Halle
Contributing MemberPosts: 722
Like?

I don't think there has been a firmware upgrade yet. Pretty sure mine is 1.0.6 as well. (Purchased last week)

lunar524
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
Re: Obviously been used before. Long reply sorry.

I think you can safely assume that the Camera has been in someones hand previously. It's usually me that ends up with other peoples returns.

As you stated, it should have prompted you for the time and date as soon as it was first switched on, the fact it did not, coupled with the other indications of previous use you mentioned, pretty much confirms you are not the first to use it.

Someone may have just changed their mind... did'nt like it and gone for a different camera or simply had a refund, no way of knowing, or in the worst case scenerio it was returned due to some issue/fault with it.

You now have to decide whether to return it, if it's totally unmarked and you cannot find any fault with it, one may be tempted to save the hassle and keep it, but that is your decision. Me personally being a extremely fussy type of guy, who is hard to please at the best of times...lol, would likely return it for a brand new one, afterall that's what weve paid for especially if it was fairly easy to change. If it had to be posted back to the supplier I might be tempted to keep it.
A lot of money for a second hand camera.

Jessops in the UK have a policy where one can return any item within 2 weeks, so they must get a good few camera's returned by owners. The returned equipment is supposed to be unused and software unopend. ie. in a saleable condition, but who is really to know, I know from experience that the staff only quickly look to see that everything is in the box and that's about it. I've returned a camera's myself in the past even though I' had it for a few days before returning it.

IN the UK we also have what is called a "Distance Selling Act" people have the right to return any goods purchased online, and have 7-days in which they can return them from date of receiving, no questions asked and get a full refund. So that too encourages more equipment to be returned, and where does most of it end up... yep, often being sent out to some other customer.

Some better companies such as Amazon do have an automatic policy of selling off separately any equipment that gets returned, but AIS I'm sure there are many that simply sell it on again.

alien3333
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,476
Like?
It should come with the new T2i tag also in the strap mount!

s2kdriver80 wrote:

Just bought a Rebel T2i (550D) at Best Buy. Threw in the battery and SD card, powered up the camera, but did not get the date/time screen that the manual said I should get if I turned it on for the first time. Wondering if this could be a returned camera. No fingerprints on camera, nor is there anything opened. Is it possible not to get the date/time screen even if it's new? How do I check the shutter actuations. Just don't feel great psychologically, having paid for a new camera.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Paul

s2kdriver80
Like?

Thanks everyone. I exchanged it for another box today. The box looks newer. The other one wasn't beat up, but you could tell it was worn a bit, especially along the sides where it gets frayed from use and sliding. When I opened up the box and if you lift the instruction booklet holder, there is a divider with 2 compartments. The right side only had the camera and the left side had everything else. The other box I returned had the camera on the left side along with a couple of items and the rest was on the right. I think I can safely assume the original box was a used one that somebody repacked. Will power up my new T2i and let you know how it goes.

Thanks.
--
Paul

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads