A message to the m4/3 crowd

Started May 11, 2010 | Discussions
hydroburn
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Re: Just the start of Round Two
In reply to SF Photo Gal, May 12, 2010

SF Photo Gal wrote:

Now Sony has kicked things up a bit with a really new design and I think this marks the start of Round Two. I see the NEX as the iPhone of cameras. So now it will be interesting to see how Panasonic and Olympus respond for the next round! It will be a fascinating time. GAME ON.

i kind of agree that Sony has the marketing clout and perhaps it has an established consumer identity that might allow it to sell the NEX by the bucketloads when it comes out.

sony products arent always the best, but its brand name in itself is one thing that sways many uninformed customers.

similar to the iphone i think, which isnt the BEST smartphone around, but the brand name itself has made it THE phone for everyone to want one.

its going to bring interchangeable lenses photography to the masses with its brute marketing force.

then again, all these are just predictions, as the products themselves havent even been launched to the public yet.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?
Re: Or, you could run around like Chicken Little ;)
In reply to Brian Mosley, May 12, 2010

Brian Mosley wrote:

Good post, but I fear we're in the midst of a full scale crisis for some

nah this is easy
hi Brian

seen the WA they have for it?
its an adapted lens that screws onto the front, i mean duh

seen the 16mm?
its got edges softer than grandmas butter

oh and the ISO thing, it looks to be slightly better at 1600, not a lot in it
I still think EP2 has better files

one thing it is, is small
P&O will have to get there A game on in small, thats not a bad thing

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,342Gear list
Like?
very well put.
In reply to saghost, May 12, 2010

That's the sad part. Two "micro four thirds killers" later, they still haven't managed it. Both have larger sensors - to my eye in any of the balanced comparisons neither manages better high ISO (though the Sony is better than the Samsung.)

Mind you, I think the RAW comparison is deeply flawed (the one that shows the high chroma noise with the E-PL1) because the NEX is doing IC NR and the E-PL1 is turned to NR Off (something you can't do with the Sony).

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Andy Crowe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,562Gear list
Like?
What's new?
In reply to duckling, May 12, 2010

4/3rds sensors have always come 2nd place in terms of noise handling to APS sensors. It was the same with the original Olympus and Panny DSLRs and it's still the same now.

Noise is only one part of photography tho, you have sharpness (m4/3 has made good progress in this regard), lenses (some great m4/3 lenses out including the 20mm f1.7, so you can balance worse high iso performance with much larger apertures) and overall handling (NEX seems to be lacking in the control department for me)

I'd go as far as saying I'd be put off by the NEX's lack of controls. I actually consider the NX more of a 4/3rds competitor than the NEX right now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads