G11 does Maui

Started May 5, 2010 | Discussions
Snail69
Regular MemberPosts: 369
Like?
G11 does Maui
May 5, 2010

I finally got around to organizing all the pics we took on our recent trip to Maui. Up till the moment I walked out the door to go to the airport I was debating whether or not to take my Nikon D300 and the G11 as a backup. I knew with all the outdoor hikes and activities I'd find lugging the D300 gear around to be a PITA so I finally decided to leave it at home. I took the G11 and SD870IS as my backup instead.

My wife took her SD700IS and combined we took over 2000 pics. One or two of these may have been taken with the Elphs and not the G11.

Anyhow, here are some snaps from the trip. No masterpieces, just wanted to share. Some are straight out of camera, only resized, others have a slight boost in color, a touch of contrast and sharpening in an old program I use called SuperJPG. My PS skills are still lacking so didn't bother using it.
Anyhow, I hope you enjoy...

Album:

-- hide signature --

Nigel

Djordje Jevtovic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,159Gear list
Like?
Re: G11 does Maui
In reply to Snail69, May 5, 2010

Very nice images. I like compositions in most of them. G11 seems like very capable camera...in hands of capable photographer, of course!
--
Djordje Jevtovic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djordjej/

Djordje Jevtovic's gear list:Djordje Jevtovic's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD300 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tsinvest
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?

Nice shots, thanks for sharing!
--
My best, Tom

sueanne
Forum ProPosts: 19,038
Like?

Nice set at Maui.

Sometimes its nice to carry a smaller camera to enjoy your vacation than lug heavy gear all around for the day.

I like the surf and the food shots - the melting pot looks yummy.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

regards,
sue anne

Royal1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,406Gear list
Like?

Very, Very nice. The color is extraordinary. Thanks for sharing.

Royal1's gear list:Royal1's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-E2
Jerrich
Senior MemberPosts: 2,465Gear list
Like?
In reply to Royal1, May 5, 2010

Great shots, thanks. They made me miss Maui again. I had the same experience with my 11 and Fuji S100 on a W Caribbean cruise; the large Fuji just stayed in the bag and the 11 did all the heavy lifting. I get spoiled so easy.
JR
--
Nikon F
Argus C44R (gorgeous)
Fuji S100fs
Canon A20, A80, A710, A650, G11
Collections: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25863948@N07/collections/

Jerrich's gear list:Jerrich's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
Anchor72
Contributing MemberPosts: 995
Like?
In reply to Jerrich, May 5, 2010

Snail-

Thank for a wonderful sampler of Maui. I love your shots. More and more I too an leaving my DSLR at home. We head off for a contract* cruise in Alaska next week, and the DSLR's are staying home.

Sarah Joyce

My husband of 53 years and I teach on board cruise ships

Vaughn T.Winfree
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,988Gear list
Like?

This little camera G11 is impressive for what it is.

It may not be DSLR quality, but it sure is close enough for me and most of what I do these days... The G11 impresses me more and more with its versatility and image quality especially shooting RAW when I want more control over the image.

The big guns stay home more and more for me as they simply are not not needed or impractical. The G11 is the perfect size for me. Any larger, it would be too bulky. Any smaller it would not fit in my hands well.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful images... I especially liked the first cropped version.

I was looking at a picture in your gallery with the G11 around your neck. It seems that you added extensions to you neck strap. I normally use the hand strap for me, but I do want to get an extended neck strap. What did you use?

-- hide signature --

Vaughn T. Winfree

'Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening.
Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's
heaven on earth.' --Mark Twain

Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list:Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN
Snail69
Like?
In reply to Vaughn T.Winfree, May 5, 2010

Thanks for all the kind words. It was an awesome trip and in retrospect I'm glad I left the DSLR at home. The only time I really missed it was during some whale watching where the reach of a longer lens was desired.

These were all shot in jpg by the way.

Hey Vaughn, actually I took 2 shots of that Native Indian art from the Vancouver airport shot and posted both in the album. The one I posted in this thread isn't a crop.

As for the strap, it's funny, I wanted the versatility of having a neck strap, and being able to remove it and use a shorter wrist strap. Those two short nylon straps attached to the camera directly are actually the short straps that come with Maglite Solitaires, the AAA flashlights. I have a couple of those lights that I don't use anymore so took the split rings off one end and looped them through the camera connection points. I then attached another neck strap to those. Now I can remove the neck strap when I don't need it.
--
Nigel

Edlolim
Contributing MemberPosts: 754Gear list
Like?

Beautiful series, really nice.
Sunsets-beaches #22 nice shade/colors
Thanks for sharing
--
Ed

Edlolim's gear list:Edlolim's gear list
Olympus SH-50
NewYorkEd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515
Like?

Very nice group of photos, nice color, sharp and clear. I enjoyed looking at them.
Ed
--
NewYorkEd

SHUTTERBUGS
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=34199234
The Naked City
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=34999582

vincent filomena
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,106Gear list
Like?
In reply to Snail69, May 6, 2010

Oh, you're good: did your gallery.
I know the G11 is Magical, but you did it justice !

Thanks for the tour,
Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
Snail69
Like?
In reply to vincent filomena, May 6, 2010

Wow, I'm humbled by the nice compliments from you all. I'm just glad I could contribute. Hawaii has been on my "Places to visit" list for ages. The trip was really a late birthday gift from my wife for my 40th bday.

vincent filomena wrote:

Oh, you're good: did your gallery.
I know the G11 is Magical, but you did it justice !

Thanks for the tour,
Vjim

Cheers!
--
Nigel

rbull44
Senior MemberPosts: 2,536
Like?
In reply to Snail69, May 7, 2010

You have some very nice shots. I am amazed what the G11 can do when one uses it as a primary camera.
--
Bob

mtndew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,280
Like?

You have a very nice series. Good work. Thanks for sharing. The Hawaiian Islands, what a wonderful place to practice ones craft.
--
Rick,
Hooked on super zooms

Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,703Gear list
Like?

How do I see the EXIF data for these photos?

Jim

Snail69
Like?
In reply to Jim, May 7, 2010

Thanks all! Really appreciate the compliments. I'm not sure why the EXIF data is not available. It may have been lost when I resized the images in SuperJPG.

If you've got a particular shot in mind let me know and I'll try to access and post it here.

Jim wrote:

How do I see the EXIF data for these photos?

Jim

-- hide signature --

Nigel

jdoo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,962
Like?

Great shots! It looks like you were in the Lahaina and Kaanapali areas. We are headed to that area of Maui this coming Tuesday. I am leaving my DSLR (40D) behind on this trip - and only taking my S90. I've been lamenting whether or not I will miss having a DSLR with me - and looking at your images, I am feeling a lot better about not lugging my dslr gear with us. Anyway - thanks for sharing your pics. Gallary looks great.
--
Joe

Old Acct: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/postersprofile.asp?poster=hjigihivhdif

Snail69
Like?
In reply to jdoo, May 8, 2010

Hey Joe,

thanks, glad you enjoyed them. Yes we stayed in Kaanapali at the Royal Lahaina Resort just North of Black Rock, Whalers Village, and most of the big hotel chains.

I felt the same way, would I regret taking or not taking it, but all things considered I'm happy I left it home. I know I definitely didn't miss the DSLR when I was hiking Iao Valley. It gave me the opportunity to learn the G11 a bit better and play around with settings to try to get the shots I was going for.

The only time I missed the D300 was for the zoom and speed when shooting whales and surfers. Other than that I was happy using the G11 and the 270EX Speedlite.

I just bought an S90 on April 9th, a week and a half after returning from Maui, otherwise I would have taken it as my backup to the G11. I think you'll find the S90 enough camera for the trip.
Have a safe trip and enjoy the stay. It truly is a beautiful and magical place.

jdoo wrote:

Great shots! It looks like you were in the Lahaina and Kaanapali areas. We are headed to that area of Maui this coming Tuesday. I am leaving my DSLR (40D) behind on this trip - and only taking my S90. I've been lamenting whether or not I will miss having a DSLR with me - and looking at your images, I am feeling a lot better about not lugging my dslr gear with us. Anyway - thanks for sharing your pics. Gallary looks great.
--
Joe

Old Acct: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/postersprofile.asp?poster=hjigihivhdif

-- hide signature --

Nigel

jdoo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,962
Like?
In reply to Snail69, May 18, 2010

Thanks again for the encouragement in taking only the S90 to Maui. We are headed home later today - and I found that not lugging around my DSLR was liberating. I have a lot of pics to go through, and these are not the best - but they were taken off the same stretch of beach where you (and we) stayed.. Kaanapali.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads