C1 7D custom function settings for action

Started May 4, 2010 | Discussions
Calz
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
C1 7D custom function settings for action
May 4, 2010

I want to set up my C1 mode on the 7D for 'action tracking' type shots including stuff coming straight at me i.e. a dog running.

Specifically for:-
C.Fn III 1 AI Servo tracking sensitivity

I'd want 'Slow' so it doesn't start hunting around for different things that come into focus I guess or is this how fast the AF works?

C.Fn III 2 AI Servo 1st/2nd image priority

I'm thinking 0 so it makes it a priority to get focus then keep focus over rattling off 16 or so oof shots?

C.Fn III 3 AI Servo AF tracking method

Not sure about this one based on the fact I probably might not be using the centre focus point or when it says 'main' does it mean the one I've selected and the 4 around it can expand out to (in the correct AF point selection mode)

C.Fn III 4 Lens drive when AF impossible
Set to 1 so the focus doesn't go widly out and then have to hunt back again

Anything wong or other things to consider? I've got settings like highlihght tone priority and noise off etc.

thx1138
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,147
Like?
Re: C1 7D custom function settings for action
In reply to Calz, May 5, 2010

Calz wrote:

I want to set up my C1 mode on the 7D for 'action tracking' type shots including stuff coming straight at me i.e. a dog running.

Specifically for:-
C.Fn III 1 AI Servo tracking sensitivity

I'd want 'Slow' so it doesn't start hunting around for different things that come into focus I guess or is this how fast the AF works?

C.Fn III 2 AI Servo 1st/2nd image priority

I'm thinking 0 so it makes it a priority to get focus then keep focus over rattling off 16 or so oof shots?

C.Fn III 3 AI Servo AF tracking method

Not sure about this one based on the fact I probably might not be using the centre focus point or when it says 'main' does it mean the one I've selected and the 4 around it can expand out to (in the correct AF point selection mode)

C.Fn III 4 Lens drive when AF impossible
Set to 1 so the focus doesn't go widly out and then have to hunt back again

Anything wong or other things to consider? I've got settings like highlihght tone priority and noise off etc.

Looks ok. I set lens drive to ON when it goes out of focus, or you'll have to bring it back manually into focus.

You might like to read p217-221 of the 7D manual and learn how to set up a registered AF point. WIth this I have set up the camera to use the * button for centre point, and the AF-ON button for centre + expanded points. I also have set it up so that if I press the DOF button whenin AI servo, it can change the CFn settings for tracking etc.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DemiLion
Senior MemberPosts: 1,812
Like?
Re: C1 7D custom function settings for action
In reply to Calz, May 5, 2010

I'd put down some ideas for Steeplechasing - ie basic sports settings, if that's any help:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1002&message=35191731

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Calz
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Re: C1 7D custom function settings for action
In reply to thx1138, May 5, 2010

Interesting about the Registered AF point, I have my focus seperated onto the AF-ON button, have registered different orientations and use the dof AI servo button.

I'll look into it

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Calz
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Re: C1 7D custom function settings for action
In reply to DemiLion, May 5, 2010

Thanks I'll have a read through the thread.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clknight
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,107
Like?
Something about tracking sensativity with IMGS
In reply to Calz, May 5, 2010

My experience may not be relevant to you, or it may be, you can decide. I photograph birds, and birds in flight primarily. I always read that tracking sensitivity should be set to slow. However, recently it seems to me that with it set to slow, it will NOT pick up on a target which is stationary, then begins to move quickly. I'll use the example of a bird sitting on the water then taking off: If I'm tracking the bird on the water, then the bird takes flight, the camera seems to recognize that as a NEW target and will not continue tracking quickly enough because it's "interference". However, with sensitivity set to default, or fast, it does very well.

Tracking sensitivity set to "slow" caused me to miss this shot, I have no doubt. It is quite out of focus, but resized and sharpened to death makes it work for web viewing. What sucks is that everything else is great, and it's full frame:

However, as you can see here, with a MUCH FASTER subject, the AF was dead on. The difference was that tracking sensitivity was set to it's default and began tracking the "new" subject much more quickly:

It's true that with the sensitivity set to a higher setting, the camera will loose focus more quickly if you get off the target. However, there are things to mitigate that, like filling up the viewfinder with the subject if possible, using expansion points to help tracking, and developing good tracking technique and proficiency. Another advantage is that I don't have to keep bumping the AF button, I can simply hold it down and the sensitivity is fast enough to lock on whatever I want. (With the tracking sensitivity set to "slow" you should not activate AF until you're spot on the moving target)

Make sure you take advantage of the 7D's custom settings for this. Save one profile with it set to slow, and the other at default or even faster. Then toggle between the two settings quickly on your mode dial with some test subjects and see what YOU like best.

Calz wrote:

I want to set up my C1 mode on the 7D for 'action tracking' type shots including stuff coming straight at me i.e. a dog running.

Specifically for:-
C.Fn III 1 AI Servo tracking sensitivity

I'd want 'Slow' so it doesn't start hunting around for different things that come into focus I guess or is this how fast the AF works?

C.Fn III 2 AI Servo 1st/2nd image priority

I'm thinking 0 so it makes it a priority to get focus then keep focus over rattling off 16 or so oof shots?

C.Fn III 3 AI Servo AF tracking method

Not sure about this one based on the fact I probably might not be using the centre focus point or when it says 'main' does it mean the one I've selected and the 4 around it can expand out to (in the correct AF point selection mode)

C.Fn III 4 Lens drive when AF impossible
Set to 1 so the focus doesn't go widly out and then have to hunt back again

Anything wong or other things to consider? I've got settings like highlihght tone priority and noise off etc.

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/clknight
Colin

Canon 7D, 50D, 40D
500mm f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/4, 17-50mm f/2.8

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,829
Like?
Re: C1 7D custom function settings for action
In reply to Calz, May 5, 2010

Calz wrote:

C.Fn III 1 AI Servo tracking sensitivity

I'd want 'Slow' so it doesn't start hunting around for different things that come into focus I guess or is this how fast the AF works?

  • The purpose is to time when the AF will change to the closest focusing point. The hunting will very much depend on your lens. My 70-200/4 doesn't at all.

C.Fn III 2 AI Servo 1st/2nd image priority

I'm thinking 0 so it makes it a priority to get focus then keep focus over rattling off 16 or so oof shots?

  • The purpose is to direct the CPUs to which task will come 1st. Focus or shoot. That depends on the direction. Coming toward you or sideways...

  • I started to play around with this setting to see how my 7D was reacting and I got completely screw-up. Almost all of my photos, after the first one, were out of focus, so I quit and put it back to the default of 0.

C.Fn III 3 AI Servo AF tracking method

Not sure about this one based on the fact I probably might not be using the centre focus point or when it says 'main' does it mean the one I've selected and the 4 around it can expand out to (in the correct AF point selection mode)

  1. My preference is 1, to ignore the “intruding target” and keep on tracking the “main target”.

  2. If I don't like it, I release my thumb from the AF-ON button and repress to re-acquire the target that I want.

C.Fn III 4 Lens drive when AF impossible
Set to 1 so the focus doesn't go widly out and then have to hunt back again

  1. So far, I've never experienced any hunting with the 70-200/4

  2. My experience has been that that the AF limiter on the lens seems to be more effective but, see #1, no hunting, just a couple of times could not find the focus the 1st time and it did it on the second time.

I have published my take on all the C.Fn III settings at: http://www.foto-biz.com/Category/Canon-7D

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A -- Canon 7D

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clknight
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,107
Like?
This is a very restrictive definition
In reply to elfroggio, May 5, 2010

elfroggio wrote:

Calz wrote:

C.Fn III 1 AI Servo tracking sensitivity

I'd want 'Slow' so it doesn't start hunting around for different things that come into focus I guess or is this how fast the AF works?

  • The purpose is to time when the AF will change to the closest focusing point.

Using that definition, the setting would have no purpose with only a single point AF active, since there would be no "closer" AF point to switch to. I disagree with what you wrote above as I understand it.

The setting has to do with objects moving into AF points. That could mean a single active AF point, or a zone....etc, depending on what AF mode you're in.

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/clknight
Colin

Canon 7D, 50D, 40D
500mm f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/4, 17-50mm f/2.8

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Calz
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Re: Something about tracking sensativity with IMGS
In reply to clknight, May 5, 2010

More food for thought, I'll probably set up a C1 & C2 with the slight difference, is the C1 attribute held in the exif or do I need to make a not of shots 1-20 C1 21-40 C2?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clknight
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,107
Like?
I don't think it goes into the exif
In reply to Calz, May 5, 2010

since the camera is still in Av, Tv mode....or whatever you have it set to. However, I was mostly talking about actual performance while you're tracking- the responsive "feel" of it. Obviously, you need to make sure you're using the setting that gives you the best results as well, which is where your question comes in. I hope my answer above is accurate.

Keep up posted!
--

http://www.pbase.com/clknight
Colin

Canon 7D, 50D, 40D
500mm f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/4, 17-50mm f/2.8

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,261Gear list
Like?
Fast
In reply to clknight, May 5, 2010

While this pertains to the mark III it might give you some insight why to set the tracking sensitivity for fast:

http://www.wildlifeimagesbyles.net/Technique/1DIII_guide/1diii_guide.html#CFs

 CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads