Started May 3, 2010 | Discussions
smi
smi
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Upgrading 40D to 7D???
May 3, 2010

Dear all,

I have been reading the CANON forums for a while with a lot of interest. I am really impressed by the number of comments and the frequency that are being added. You can really learn a lot! This is my first time that I participate with an issue that is bothering me.

I've recently upgraded my 40D's lens collection, with the 17-55 F2.8 IS. I am extremely pleased with this lens.

I'am dealing with a pretty difficult decision at the moment: what should be my next upgrade step? 7D or 70-200 F2.8 II IS lens? I mainly use the camera for photos and I can live without the video capability for a while. I realise that I would eventually purchase both items, but in your opinion which one should come first?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

liquidstone
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,910Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrading 40D to 7D???
In reply to smi, May 3, 2010

I use both, and IMHO the biggest advancement of the 7D over the 40D are HD video, MFA, AF, frame rate, more useful AF points and LCD, not necessarily in that order of importance.

If such areas are not critical to you, then I suggest go for a good additional glass.

smi wrote:

Dear all,

I have been reading the CANON forums for a while with a lot of interest. I am really impressed by the number of comments and the frequency that are being added. You can really learn a lot! This is my first time that I participate with an issue that is bothering me.

I've recently upgraded my 40D's lens collection, with the 17-55 F2.8 IS. I am extremely pleased with this lens.

I'am dealing with a pretty difficult decision at the moment: what should be my next upgrade step? 7D or 70-200 F2.8 II IS lens? I mainly use the camera for photos and I can live without the video capability for a while. I realise that I would eventually purchase both items, but in your opinion which one should come first?

-- hide signature --

Romy

PHILIPPINE WILD BIRDS
Photo Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone
HD Bird Videos - http://exposureroom.com/members/RomyOcon.aspx/videos/

(Over 260 species captured in habitat, and counting.)

liquidstone's gear list:liquidstone's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
martin brech
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?

I would keep the 40d until it dies, and change it for the successor of the 7d, maybe in 2 years, that will surely be even better. Lenses last much more than bodies, so don't change body if not absolutely necessary.
--
http://picasaweb.google.com/vcx123456/

Joe Hawblitzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,591
Like?

smi wrote:

Dear all,

I think we both have been walking the same road recently. I, too, had the 40D and at Christmas I bought the 17-55 2.8 IS. I found the lens to be so fantastic that I immediately wanted to upgrade to the 7D which I did in February. Although the 70-200 2.8 IS was tempting, I have owned the 300 F 4 IS for years. It's perfect for what I like to shoot and I seldom find myself wanting less tele. Also, it's sharp, really sharp.

Do I regret buying the 7D instead of a lens? No. It's always nice to have more pixels and I have used the video a few times (beautiful!) Remember you can sell your 40D to defray the cost of the 7D. Also, owning the 7D buys you into the "club" in this forum since the 7D has pretty much taken over here. I also considered the T2i/550D, but after owning the D30/20D/40D the Rebel line just didn't feel right in my hands. One thing that is not much mentioned here is the metering which is far better than the 7D.

In sum, I think you'll like the 7D.
--
Joe Hawblitzel

Joe Hawblitzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,591
Like?
Oops
In reply to Joe Hawblitzel, May 3, 2010

I meant the metering is far better than the 40D.
--
Joe Hawblitzel

chiltonj
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?

I had a 40D and sold it on ebay when the 7D was about to release. It sold for around $800. I used that money to get the 7D.

Since I already had the 70-200 glass, it was easier for me to make the decision to buy the 7D.

Personally, I would sell your 40D while it still has some value. But, this really depends on the extra features the 7D has and whether you want/need them.

I'm still on a learning curve from the 40D to 7D. In my opinion, it's forced me to be a better photographer and think about composition more than I did with the 40D.

Now, I don't use the video function so much and I'm not that good. Here are some sample videos:

http://vimeo.com/chiltonj/videos

or

http://vimeo.com/11148964

and one my friend put together: http://vimeo.com/10608354

Good luck with your decision.

pancamo
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?

That's an easy choice: 70-200 F2.8 II IS lens! The 70-200 f2.8 is a significant step up while the 7D, while awesome, isn't going to give you what the 70-200 II can deliver. Get the 1.4x while your at it... well worth it!

smi wrote:

Dear all,

jm67
Contributing MemberPosts: 913
Like?

smi wrote:

Dear all,

You don't mention what you shoot. Yes, the 7D is a better camera (although I still use the 40D as my backup crop and am still pleased with what comes out of it) and as a better tool can help make the job of 'getting the shot' easier. However, will the long lens help you in what you shoot? Then that's what you ought to get. BTW, yes the 17-55 is an awesome lens and I'm not surprised you like it.
--
I am as ignorant as ever, and wiser than I've ever been.

Mr Dillon
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?

Stay with the 40D, a good camera. Does the job, right!

MadX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017
Like?
In reply to Mr Dillon, May 3, 2010

If you are looking for advise whether to upgrade to 7D, you should stay with 40D and go with the lens.

40D is an excellent camera and you will not see the difference between 2 unless you shoot for a living and can not live without couple of extra features 7D offers.

Regards.

-- hide signature --

My Pics are located @ http://public.fotki.com/madx33/

GeorgeML
Contributing MemberPosts: 574
Like?

I've rented a 7D for a weekend last year and I really liked the AF and the rest of the new features.

At the end, I've decided against upgrading my 40D.

I was not (and I’m still not) impressed by the 7D image quality. It’s certainly not worse than the 40D but I don’t feel that it’s better either. That’s a personal opinion, of course.

Good luck with your decision.

smi
smi
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Re: Upgrading 40D to 7D or buy better glass???
In reply to jm67, May 3, 2010

jm67 wrote:

You don't mention what you shoot. Yes, the 7D is a better camera (although I still use the 40D as my backup crop and am still pleased with what comes out of it) and as a better tool can help make the job of 'getting the shot' easier. However, will the long lens help you in what you shoot? Then that's what you ought to get. BTW, yes the 17-55 is an awesome lens and I'm not surprised you like it.
--

At the moment I mostly shoot family photos (wife + 1 year old baby), either inhouse or in the countryside. Also, landscapes and family portraits (that's why I think the tele might be more suitable than the 17-55).

jm67
Like?
Re: Upgrading 40D to 7D or buy better glass???

smi wrote:

jm67 wrote:

--

At the moment I mostly shoot family photos (wife + 1 year old baby), either inhouse or in the countryside. Also, landscapes and family portraits (that's why I think the tele might be more suitable than the 17-55).

I think you may be right...another lens in the arsenal may be the direction to go.

Enjoy.

-- hide signature --

squeeze
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?

Lens is always a better buy than a body but one important factor is - How often are you going to use the lens? You can have the best lens in the world but with it sitting on a shelf, cabinet or bag, its just dead weight. However, with the 7D, you can enjoy all the new features and enhancements together with your 17-55 which is a great piece of glass. I was in the same boat as you and I went with the 7D. Most of my shots are within the 17-55 focal range. I figured I don't need a 70-200 f2.8 IS MKII now. I just can't justify the $2500 cost against 10% of my shots using it.

MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,395Gear list
Like?
re-invent yourself :)
In reply to smi, May 4, 2010

re-invent yourself since you photograph people

sell 40d = $700
sell 17-55 IS $850
Add $ not spent yet for 70-200 II $2500

total = $4050

now here is how to spend the $4050 since you photograph people and could get true dof control

used 5d mark1 $1000
tamy 28-75 f2.8 $400
50 f1.2 $1500
135 f2 $1100
kenko 1.4 $200 gives you 189 f2.5 on the 135

$4200 for true control of dof

smi wrote:

Dear all,

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
tim73
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?

smi wrote:

7D or 70-200 F2.8 II IS lens?

IMHO, neither. Not until you have a project in mind which cannot be achieved with your existing kit. And when you know what you want to do, you'll also know what gear you need to do it.

GkM
GkM
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
According to your needs, I would suggest something else
In reply to tim73, May 4, 2010

Since your main subjects are your wife and baby mostly indoors (bad lighting conditions) and sometimes the countryside (good lighting conditions), why don't you buy a (really cheap) 50 f/1.8 and a "travel zoom" like the Canon/Sigma/Tamron 18-200 IS/OS/VC ?

You will have the low-light capacity (f/1.8) you need for indoors and a do-it-all travel lens for the counryside. If you realise that the 18-200 is limiting your creating process, just sell it and upgrade to one of the 70-200 f/2.8 or f/4 IS.

GkM's gear list:GkM's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +22 more
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,360Gear list
Like?
No need to reinvent.

The 17-55 is a superb lens. I'm not surprised you find the quality great. You'll be surprised again at how much better it is on the 7D. You'll find detail you didn't realize was there.

The 70-200 is also a good choice. In the 70-80mm range, it make for a good portrait lens.

For now, I'd get the lens. Good glass is always good glass. The 40D is nice performer....I used two of them as my main wedding cameras for years. While I can't deny the 7D is better in virtually every way....and is only beaten by the 5D2....for what you're doing, the 40D should probably be sufficient.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
jm67
Like?
Re: re-invent yourself :)
In reply to MAC, May 4, 2010

MAC wrote:

sell 40d = $700
sell 17-55 IS $850

total = $4050

now here is how to spend the $4050 since you photograph people and could get true dof control

used 5d mark1 $1000
tamy 28-75 f2.8 $400
50 f1.2 $1500
135 f2 $1100

smi wrote:

Dear all,

Careful smi. I'm not sure you ought to pay too much attention to someone who thinks there's no other gear in the world other than his outdated 5D and shoots events for friends and family only, not as a real business. And it's only as a part time hobby at that. There is no reason whatsoever to sell everything you own and buy used and outdated equipment. What you own is more than sufficient for your personal use of landscape and your family photos. And when you add in the 70-200, you'll be better off still. There's nothing wrong with the "fake" dof control with your camera and you'll keep $thousands in your pocket.

The only thing I was actually curious about was why you'd buy the 'II' version. Yes it's better but there isn't really much lacking in the original and you may save a few $'s as well. Maybe pick up another lens.
--

The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,360Gear list
Like?
Re: re-invent yourself :)
In reply to jm67, May 4, 2010

jm67 wrote:

MAC wrote:

sell 40d = $700
sell 17-55 IS $850

total = $4050

used 5d mark1 $1000
tamy 28-75 f2.8 $400
50 f1.2 $1500
135 f2 $1100

smi wrote:

Dear all,

Careful smi. I'm not sure you ought to pay too much attention to someone who thinks there's no other gear in the world other than his outdated 5D and shoots events for friends and family only, not as a real business. And it's only as a part time hobby at that. There is no reason whatsoever to sell everything you own and buy used and outdated equipment. What you own is more than sufficient for your personal use of landscape and your family photos. And when you add in the 70-200, you'll be better off still. There's nothing wrong with the "fake" dof control with your camera and you'll keep $thousands in your pocket.

The only thing I was actually curious about was why you'd buy the 'II' version. Yes it's better but there isn't really much lacking in the original and you may save a few $'s as well. Maybe pick up another lens.
--

I agree. The I've used the 40D a fair bit for weddings, but have also had it handy on road trips, etc. I produced a number of 16x24 from the 40D that when printed on HM Photorag 308 on my Epson 3800 just glowed. Yes, they didn't have the detail of MF or 4x5 film, or a 24mp DSLR....but they looked pretty decent.

And yes, his sole criteria is shallow DOF. Yet really, for a lot of use, stopping down below f2 isn't much of a help....unless you love everyones eyes in focus, and nose blurred.

Get the glass. The 40D is great for general use up to 16x24.....more than 99% of people ever print!

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads