Infrared Photography

Started Apr 23, 2010 | Discussions
terminal pharmacy
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Infrared Photography
Apr 23, 2010

Does anyone know anything about IR photography for dslr. I know there is a filter built in to dslrs to remove IR rays but apparently you can still get decent IR images with this still in and not modified. I bought a cokin 007 Ir filter but don't get the results that i see of Ir photography on flikr. I have a film camera too so waiting for some Ir film to arrive in stock at my camera store. I have been playing around with cutom white balancing to try and get the desired results but to no avail. Anyone here got any tips for me?

TP

J Watkins
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Re: Infrared Photography
In reply to terminal pharmacy, Apr 23, 2010

Check out http://www.lifepixel.com

They do full conversions for both InfraRed (IR) and UltraViolet (UV). There are few places like Life Pixel that will do the conversion for you but they seem to get the most mentions. If you are handy (very handy, technical and skilled) they and others sell the glass filters that go over the sensor. I believe you can get the filters in any combination of UV, IR, Visible spectrum to suit your needs for the desired effect. The above website has examples of each and you can also google something like "InfraRed Modification Canon 40D" to get loads of information and examples.

From what I've read the screw on IR filters require much longer exposure times. They work to a degree if you have a tripod and are shooting mostly static objects. However if you want to shoot at normal (or close to normal) shutter speeds then replacing the filter over the sensor seems to be the way to go. I'm considering moding my 40D to a clear filter then I can use a screw on UV filter and get some true color Visible/IR images. It's a backup body now as I would never do this to my only camers. Or... Maybe I'll pickup another used 20,30, or 40D, just in case!

Cheers!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Todd Haehn
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?

Canon made an Infrared camera, the 20Da. I don't know if you can find one, though.
--
Todd Haehn

Todd Haehn
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
In reply to Todd Haehn, Apr 23, 2010
lulalake
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,126
Like?

terminal pharmacy wrote:

Does anyone know anything about IR photography for dslr. I know there is a filter built in to dslrs to remove IR rays but apparently you can still get decent IR images with this still in and not modified. I bought a cokin 007 Ir filter but don't get the results that i see of Ir photography on flikr. I have a film camera too so waiting for some Ir film to arrive in stock at my camera store. I have been playing around with cutom white balancing to try and get the desired results but to no avail. Anyone here got any tips for me?

TP

Hey TP,

I shoot a lot of IR on a converted 40D and here are a couple of thoughts.
One is to visit Jerry Knupper’s blog, http://www.irbuzz.blogspot.com/

This has a great, perhaps one of the best, series of articles called, the Infrared For Beginners Series.

This addresses just about anything a person new to IR photography and answers some issues that new folks haven’t considered,.

Next come visit my IR communities, http://www.irphotocom.com and the Yahoo IR Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Infrared_Photography

This will get you going in the direction you wish to go. Lots of Canon IR shooters of all skill sets.

Cheers

Jules

PS Here's a couple of quick samples of my stuff:

Ols Roses:

My Dawg in the bushes!

My Daughters violin (which is deep red in visible light);

Fun stuff!

terminal pharmacy
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to lulalake, Apr 25, 2010

Thanks everyone.

TP

cambomj
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?
In reply to terminal pharmacy, Apr 26, 2010

Greetings.

Was wondering if anyone has come across anything on the net for IR and the 7D? In due course, I'd like a converted camera but for the moment, Id rather spend th cash on lenses.

Cheers,

cambomj's gear list:cambomj's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +5 more
Curtis Clegg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206
Like?
Filters working against each other
In reply to J Watkins, Apr 26, 2010

The problem with modern DSLRs in doing infrared is that the intenal hot mirror filter blocks virtually all near-IR light from hitting the sensor, but visible light gets through. Thus, you need unusually long exposure times even in bright sunlight.

Then, when you put an infrared filter on the front of the lens, you are admitting almost all near-IR light through, but blocking almost all visible light. The two filters virtually cancel each other out, allowing only a very small amount of light between the two of them.

A converted camera is by far the best way to go.

-- hide signature --

Curtis Clegg

steinr98
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
In reply to terminal pharmacy, Apr 26, 2010

I had the orig. rebel converted and it works really great. I don't use a IR filter in front so I can take normal photos and don't need the long exposures. I can also see what I'm shooting- a big factor! I had a Minolta Dimage 7 before and it was a pain as I had to use the dark IR filter. You can try a dark IR filter and use a TV remote and take a photo with the remote button pressed. IF you can see the remote light, then you can use that camera for IR. The problem with this is who wants to spend the $$ for the filter just to try it.
I usually convert my IR photos to B&W. Personal thing here....

Living in AZ, IR is not as prevalent as there is not as much green to show off the IR, but is still fun!! Love the dark skys it produces!
--
Steinr98

steinr98's gear list:steinr98's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads