Shutter count on 7D

Started Apr 22, 2010 | Discussions
mhz888
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Shutter count on 7D
Apr 22, 2010

Apologies in advance if this has been asked a million times, but I'm simply not finding it using the search functions. After searching an hour here and on Google, I am wondering if anyone has a working method to determine the shutter count on a Canon 7D. The EOSInfo utility doesn't work (at least not on mine) and some of the hexeditor stuff for older cameras (that worked for my 20D) also don't seem to work.

Any help would be appreciated.
--
-Kevin

Hurricane Phil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?
Re: Shutter count on 7D
In reply to mhz888, Apr 22, 2010

mhz888 wrote:

Apologies in advance if this has been asked a million times, but I'm simply not finding it using the search functions. After searching an hour here and on Google, I am wondering if anyone has a working method to determine the shutter count on a Canon 7D. The EOSInfo utility doesn't work (at least not on mine) and some of the hexeditor stuff for older cameras (that worked for my 20D) also don't seem to work.

Any help would be appreciated.
--
-Kevin

Kevin,

Are you saying there's a foolproof way to determine your total shutter activations on a 20D?
Phil

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mhz888
Like?
In reply to Hurricane Phil, Apr 22, 2010

I don't know about foolproof (there is always a bigger fool!), but it worked for me.

http://zecoj.com/2007/01/31/canon-eos-20d-shutter-count/

-- hide signature --

-Kevin

Hurricane Phil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?

mhz888 wrote:

I don't know about foolproof (there is always a bigger fool!), but it worked for me.

http://zecoj.com/2007/01/31/canon-eos-20d-shutter-count/

Thanks. Mine has 44,020. I thought it would be much higher.

Paul Ch. Kierkus
Contributing MemberPosts: 866
Like?
Bit sceptical here... Ok, more than a bit!
In reply to Hurricane Phil, Apr 22, 2010

First of all, with regard to my 20D - I'm the original owner since 2004 - the count would be just over 10K shutter clicks according to this tip. That appeared to be rather low to me - by a factor of several fold actually. 50K, 60K, that I could believe. I took > 7K images on one trip alone. I also found that while surveying successive frames does appear to increment/decrement the count by 1, the overall number goes up and down over time. This can't be the shutter count.

Concerning the 7D, my recently purchased camera (new) shows 49922 for the shutter count on frame number 573. I'm very confident that 573 is correct because it just started the count at 0001; new camera, new card, etc., just a couple of weeks ago. The 50K number is way out of line.

I'm afraid that this is just more wishful thinking - wish there was a way to get the count, but...

mhz888
Like?
Re: Bit sceptical here... Ok, more than a bit!
In reply to Paul Ch. Kierkus, Apr 22, 2010

Note, in my original post, I said this DOESN'T WORK for a 7D (that I'm aware of).

I can see your point about being skeptical - I've had my 20D a long time and seemed to have snapped off more photos than it read back, but it was the best I could find. Given that I am keeping it for my wife to beat up, I don't much care how many it has, and since they are selling used for $300 with kit lens, whoever gets one, whatever the shutter count is, will be getting a heck of a bargain.

Reason I asked this, is I bought a supposed "BNIB" (Brand New In Box) from a private seller. I have every reason to believe it's true, but just wondering if there's a way to verify such. New card, supposedly new camera, and the first shot is numbered 100-0001, so seems like it is. I guess the dearth of information is telling - there probably is no way normal users (i.e. not a service center) could find this out unless good track was kept with the cards.
--
-Kevin

Paul Ch. Kierkus
Contributing MemberPosts: 866
Like?
Re: Bit sceptical here... Ok, more than a bit!

Right, so both of us agree that it doesn't for on the 7D. I couldn't verify that it worked on the 20D either.

I did read this fellow's article, downloaded the hex editor and read out the values. Yes, there is a value that is generated this way - there will be one no matter which bytes you read, right? There is always a pseudorandom combination there.

The problem is that the count increments then decrements then increments again, etc. I looked over time - just on random dates that I had shot RAW frames. Unfortunately I had not shot in RAW from the start so there is no count on day one possible - but the camera was new.

Date Count
2004_12_12 0 (presumed - new camera)
2005_07_04 6604 (started to shoot RAW)
2006_07_23 18761
2007_07_14 9432
2008_07_31 10035
2009_07_13 64520
2010_01_01 6401

See what I mean? It just makes no sense. If I'm doing something wrong following the instructions, I can't see it. Does the shutter count increase over time on your camera? Consistently?

Perhaps other have tried this out?

NikoAlex
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter count on 7D and 10D through 50D
In reply to mhz888, Apr 28, 2010

This has been brought up in the past; the best and truely accurate utility out there is the EOSInfo utility (used to be called 40DShutterCount utility) developed by the person at the following site: http://www.astrojargon.net

Utility link is http://www.astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

I am not sure whether or not it will work on the 7D but it does work with every other camera up to the 50D. Try it and let us all know.

-- hide signature --

Niko

NikoAlex's gear list:NikoAlex's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads