Sekonic L-758D problems with reflected spot operation (?)

Started Apr 20, 2010 | Discussions
Captain Hook
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?
Sekonic L-758D problems with reflected spot operation (?)
Apr 20, 2010

Got an Sekonic L-758D a few weeks ago and I'm trying figure something out about reflected spot operation.

Problem:

If I choose 'ambient' mode (the solar symbol) and try to do a reflected object spot measurement (the Incident/Reflected Spot selector dial is on the 'eye' symbol), I always get a blinking 'Eu' (= Exposure Under) in the display.

It doesn't matter if I select T or F, and even if I set the ISO value on 8000 (!), it still displays 'Eu'.
(no, I didn't forget to remove the cap from the spot lens )

You might think there is something wrong with the sensor, but as soon as I select the 'flash' mode, reflected spot measurement does work!?

When I switch to 'incident' mode (using the lumisphere sensor) everything works like it should be. But I want to use the Sekonic for remote spot measurement.

I'm I doing something wrong? Do I miss something? Help please...

Yes:
-I already tried a new battery.
-I reset the Sekonic to its factory settings

-Even if I use a flashlight to lighten up the spot lens, it still says 'Eu'. But as soon as I switch to 'flash' (streak symbol) mode the Sekonic immediately sees the enormous amount of light.

-Regardless of any other setting I can think of, as soon as I use ambient reflected spot measurement, it always says 'Eu'. Switching to flash measuring mode and/or using the lumisphere sensor, everything works ok (?)

I don't get it anymore...

Captain Hook
Like?
Re: Sekonic L-758D problems with reflected spot operation (?)
In reply to Captain Hook, Apr 22, 2010

Nobody using ambient reflected spot measurement?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BarrieS
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
In reply to Captain Hook, Apr 23, 2010

I can only say that mine (L-758DR) works properly in same situation.

Joseph

Captain Hook
Like?
Any idea?
In reply to BarrieS, Apr 23, 2010

BarrieS wrote:

I can only say that mine (L-758DR) works properly in same situation.

Thanks for your response.

Any idea what might be my problem?

BarrieS
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
Re: Any idea?
In reply to Captain Hook, Apr 25, 2010

When in flash mode, does it give you the ratio between ambient and flash light?

Rogier Bos
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?

Hi,

I have the Sekonic 758DR and am slowly getting to know it. I might be one of those photog's who could have dione with a simpler light meter, but after own a Gossen lightmeter I wanted something more substantial and accurate that I could grow into. Needless to say, I am still trying to grow into it.

I've just tried to replicate your situation, and I get it too. I get out of it though if I just turn the values dial long enough, till I reach a shutter-speed (or aperature if that is what the light meter is set to) that is compatible with regular camera's. In other words: in the reading I just took, at 1/8000s the meter gives me E.U.; ie. no aperature. But now I nturn the dial to 1/4000s, and the meter gives me 0.59 for aperature.

Please excuse me if I have not understood your problem. Otherwise I hope this is helpful.

Rogier

Captain Hook
Like?
Re: Any idea?
In reply to BarrieS, Apr 25, 2010

BarrieS wrote:

When in flash mode, does it give you the ratio between ambient and flash light?

It displays '100%'.

And, as I said before, in flash mode everything works ok.

Captain Hook
Like?
In reply to Rogier Bos, Apr 25, 2010

Thanks for the reply.

But it is really mind boggling.

When I set the Sekonic to e.g. 400 ISO, T=1/125, it displays F= Eu when using reflected spot metering. And keeps on display 'Eu' whatever combination of T, F or ISO values I choose...

As soon as I switch to either flash mode and/or ambient metering, it displays a reasonable F value (like F=7)

Rogier Bos
Like?

On the display, do you see an 'm' or 'f/s'?

Your question prompted me to take another look at the manual. This meter is so amazing in the amount of functions my first inclination would be to think I have some made some function selection that is now giving me a response I don't understand.

Captain Hook
Like?
In reply to Rogier Bos, Apr 25, 2010

Rogier Bos wrote:

Doesn't matter.
Either in minutes or in seconds, it always display E xposure U nder

I don't have a 758Cine, but a 'normal' 758D. So it displays a 'm' or a 's', depending on if I selected minutes or seconds for T.

Rogier Bos
Like?

Captain Hook wrote:

Rogier Bos wrote:

Doesn't matter.
Either in minutes or in seconds, it always display E xposure U nder

I don't have a 758Cine, but a 'normal' 758D. So it displays a 'm' or a 's', depending on if I selected minutes or seconds for T.

Yeah, I think this is where your problem comes in. Your dial has been turned so far you are in the film-light metering range. I've done this before myself. If you turn your dial far enough the m and/or s should disappear and you will have arrived in the range of normal photography range of aperatures and shutterspeeds.

if I am right, your problem is addressed in the Sekonic manual ( http://www.sekonic.com/products/Sekonic%20L-758DR%20DIGITALMASTER-documentation.asp ) on page 19.

Personally I think it is strange design on Sekonic's part to put the CINE speeds after the regular shutterspeeds.

And, just before you repeat you don't have a L-748CINE, I did read that in your post. But even the 758D has some CINE functions. The 758Cine just has more.

Does that help?

Rogier

Captain Hook
Like?
Either 'm' or 's' or ' '
In reply to Rogier Bos, Apr 26, 2010

Rogier Bos wrote:

Yeah, I think this is where your problem comes in. Your dial has been turned so far you are in the film-light metering range.

Sorry, I wasn't explicit enough.
'm' when T is in minutes,
's' when T is in seconds
' ' when T is in 1/seconds.
Either setting gives the same error 'Eu'

Even worse, this would only apply if I select 'T' mode, when I put it in 'F' mode, the T value should be measured by the Sekonic. But it doesn't; it also displays 'Eu'

Even if I maximize all exposure settings. Like maximum ISO value, longest exposure time (T in several seconds/minutes) the F value is still displaying 'Eu' while it should display 'Eo' with this kind of sensitivity. The same thing applies when I select a large aperture (F = 1) and let the Sekonic measure the T value; always 'Eu'.

But, again, as soon as I turn the knob from reflected spot operation to incident operation OR just select flash mode (either 'flash/c' symbol), it works ok. ???

Does that help?

No, sorry.

Rogier Bos
Like?
Re: Either 'm' or 's' or ' '
In reply to Captain Hook, Apr 26, 2010

Does that help?

No, sorry.

OK - I am sorry too. In that case, I'd take it back to the store or contact Sekonic support.

Captain Hook
Like?
Verify
In reply to Rogier Bos, Apr 26, 2010

Rogier Bos wrote:

OK - I am sorry too. In that case, I'd take it back to the store or contact Sekonic support.

Just to be sure:

If you also own a L-758D; does it work if you try the same thing with your Sekonic?

If have already filed a service request at the Dutch Sekonic distributor (= Mamiya). But in the past I had some bad experiences with them. More like no service at all...

Rogier Bos
Like?
Re: Verify
In reply to Captain Hook, Apr 27, 2010

Captain Hook wrote:

Rogier Bos wrote:

Just to be sure:

If you also own a L-758D; does it work if you try the same thing with your Sekonic?

If have already filed a service request at the Dutch Sekonic distributor (= Mamiya). But in the past I had some bad experiences with them. More like no service at all...

I have verified this: my L-758DR (notice the R) works fine under the settings you describe. I would conclude your meter has a problem.

Where did you buy it? Can you bring it back to the dealer? The Dutch sekonic distributor works with a dealer network exclusively. They also do Profoto, so I can't believe they would render bad service...

Rogier

wkeuris
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Captain Hook, Apr 20, 2013

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem! This threat is quite old already, but is the only one I could find on the internet about this problem. Has yours been solved?

gr

Wouter

E E Thompson
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
In reply to Captain Hook, Apr 20, 2013

Do you have the selector dial set to reflected light mode?

Roman Kazmierczak
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to Captain Hook, May 23, 2013

I have a similar problem. Spot meter work with ambient but doesn't see flash. When I measure flash with shutter speed set to 2s or so it "sees" modeling light with 0% flash.
I think it may be a firmware problem. I recently made an update. (Note to myself: Do not make updates if everything works fine!!)
I've send an email to Sekonic customer support yesterday and I am waiting for replay.

Roman Kazmierczak's gear list:Roman Kazmierczak's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads