continuous ink system for canon pixma pro9000 mark ii

Started Apr 10, 2010 | Discussions
penner42
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
continuous ink system for canon pixma pro9000 mark ii
Apr 10, 2010

I recently got a Canon Pixma Pro9000 MkII, and love the prints out of it. The ink usage is actually very reasonable, but I'd still like to save some money and have the convenience of a continuous ink system.

Has anyone ever used anything from UltraGamut? I've searched and can't find any reviews about it, or anything else from them. The system I'm considering is here: http://ultragamut.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6734503

Does anyone have any experience with it or recommend another CIS? I'm looking for good color and longevity.

Wm Karoly
Contributing MemberPosts: 806Gear list
Like?
Re: continuous ink system for canon pixma pro9000 mark ii
In reply to penner42, Apr 10, 2010

I think the inks are going to be inferior to genuine Canon inks and the only way to get longevity is with a pigment-based ink which I am pretty sure you will not get for your printer. Check trusted sites such as Inksupply for your Canon needs. If that CIS system can be purchased empty I would get it and use Inksupply inks but I would be cautious regarding the quality of the cartridges. Your best choice may be refillable carts and a good quality ink. Plus you will have to profile your printer.

My experience with Canon inks on Canon papers is they are not a good combination, especially the high gloss papers. I have prints on Canon paper where the color shifted while kept in the dark for a few months but I also have made prints using Kodak's higher end consumer papers that have never faded after six years. My last Canon was a S800. I use Epson printers now and I have an R200 and 1400. The R200 I used with MediaStreet black inkset with awesome results on Matte paper. The 1400 I am converting over to pigment inks.

-- hide signature --

Bill
Keep on keepin' on!

Wm Karoly's gear list:Wm Karoly's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Twilight35
Contributing MemberPosts: 974Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wm Karoly, Apr 10, 2010

The Canon PRO 9000 Mark II uses "Dye" based ink. The PRO 9500 uses the pigment based ink. Whether or not using pigment based ink in the 9000 would screw up the print head is something to think about.

Fred

penner42
Like?
In reply to Twilight35, Apr 10, 2010

I don't plan on switching to pigment inks.

Can't find any reviews on UltraGamut, but http://www.inkreloaded.com/ looks like the same company, and the few reviews I can find aren't good ( http://www.resellerratings.com/store/InkReloaded ) so I think I'll skip it.

If anyone can recommend a good CIS, that would be helpful.

Wm Karoly
Like?
In reply to Twilight35, Apr 10, 2010

I would even think of using pigmented inks in a Canon dye-based printer.

-- hide signature --

Bill
Keep on keepin' on!

Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +2 more
Wm Karoly
Like?
In reply to penner42, Apr 10, 2010

It is interesting that most CIS's are made for Epson printers. At one time I think Inkjetfly either had or was going to have CIS for Canon printers but now I only see systems for Epson printers.

You might be able to build your own CIS from a set of refillable cartridges.

Bill

penner42 wrote:

I don't plan on switching to pigment inks.

Can't find any reviews on UltraGamut, but http://www.inkreloaded.com/ looks like the same company, and the few reviews I can find aren't good ( http://www.resellerratings.com/store/InkReloaded ) so I think I'll skip it.

If anyone can recommend a good CIS, that would be helpful.

-- hide signature --

Bill
Keep on keepin' on!

Apotheker
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?
Pigment ink in Canon i9950/Pro 9000 possible, but....
In reply to Wm Karoly, Apr 10, 2010

You might have a look at nifty-stuff.com, since I had an extensive test using pigmented ink, formulated for the bubblejet printing technology, that is HP B9180 compatible pigment ink in my Canon i9950 A3+ printer, which uses the same printhead as in the Canon Pro 9000. DO NOT use pigment inks formulated for the Epson piezographic printing method, as this ink will cause heavy ghosting and is very dangerous for your printhead. I risked my Canon IP6600D printhead using Epson K3 pigment ink and it was not a success, but it had no harmful effects as an ultimate experiment.

My conclusion: it can be used, but the used ink does not adhere well on the papers I used, accept on matte papers and you will have to use a spongeless refillable cartridge with a shaking system included to agitate the ink inside the cartridge continuously during printing to prevent the pigment particles to settle at the bottom of the cartridge and cause clogging. I did use the standard sponge-based Canon cartridges, but I am not sure the sponge will separate the pigment from the fluid it is suspended in on the long term.

Have a look at my experiments here:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4179

notice my comments about the printhead: the Canon i9950/i9900/Pro 9000 looks very similar to the one for the pigment based Pro 9500, but has 2 nozzle banks disabled, which seems to be enabled in the 10 cartridge based Canon Pro 9500. Is this a coincidence ? Anyhow: it works, but the ink does not adhere well, but maybe someone can reformulate the ink in such a way it will become possible.
--
Crazy about printing, profiling and refilling printer cartridges

penner42
Like?
Thanks for the input
In reply to penner42, Apr 12, 2010

Thanks everyone for responding. I think for now I'm going to stick with the Canon inks. When I have a printer profiling setup, I may try some refills from one of the (very few) places that seem to be trusted to have good inks.

something fishy
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to penner42, Apr 23, 2010

That CIS looks identical to one that I bought from Lin Essentials for my i9950. Unfilled it cost me USD37.

I live in HK (where the seller is) and it arrived one day after I'd ordered it.

No instructions were supplied but the seller replied to my email to that effect within 24 sending a detailed pdf.

I chose Lin Essentials because of recs on this forum.

I have not yet installed so I can't tell you what the quality is like but the joints etc appear well finished and airtight. The piece was well packed and came with everything I need (except initially instructions)

I plan to use Lyson Photonic inks, I figured if the CIS doesn't work out I could always use refillable cartridges.

Eric

Ronvette
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to penner42, Dec 3, 2010

Don't use Ultragamut CIS for your Canon Pro9000 or Pro9000 Mark II. I order this CIS and it's not design for the Canon Pro9000 Mark II printer. The tubing is design for a printer that the printhead parks on the left hand side of the print. The Canon printhead parks on the right hand side. If you try to reroute the tubing you'll find that it's too short. As far as their five star customer service, forget that there is none. I called, I e-mail, I live Chat don't waste your time. Also the CIS ink tanks were only half full. Ultragamut is not a vendor you want to deal with.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads