Sony going to abandon DSLR's?

Started Apr 7, 2010 | Discussions
ishootfirst
Regular MemberPosts: 285
Like?
Sony going to abandon DSLR's?
Apr 7, 2010

I'm putting on my flame suit already but I had an interesting conversation with one of the senior managers at Jessops a few days ago.

He mentioned that Sony were "not in it for the long run" and that he wouldn't touch any of their new kit for that reason.

I'm not convinced that he was basing this on any specific new information or fact but it was pretty chilling nonetheless..

I was actually there to buy a m4/3 camera and casually mentioned the Sony mirrorless cameras. He matter of factly said that Sony were discontinuing some of their Aplha range and he wouldn't advise anyone to buy Aplha.

This may well be a Jessops standpoint so take it with a ton of salt.

Your thoughts?

ck3
ck3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,758
Like?
Re: Sony going to abandon DSLR's?
In reply to ishootfirst, Apr 7, 2010

ishootfirst wrote:

I was actually there to buy a m4/3 camera and casually mentioned the Sony mirrorless cameras. He matter of factly said that Sony were discontinuing some of their Aplha range and he wouldn't advise anyone to buy Aplha.

If it is just the Aplha range, I'm not too worried - I never liked those anyway

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,450Gear list
Like?
No, quitting will hurt SONY's reputation, brand image is important

Sony is not going to quit making DSLR. Mainly because

• Having a professional DSLR help to sells millions of sony point/shoots world wide.

• Sony P/S is selling very very well. DSLR is acting like a supporting system even if it is not selling well in North America

• Sony's #1 asset has been its brand name & reputation

• Quitting the DSLR will tarnished its brand name

I'm sure others will point out that sony has quit the stupid MD music player, SACD audio format, infamous beta tapes, Clie pda, and more recently sony memory stick for camera (going SD). However, these are all minor divisions that sony can quit without hurting its brand name. Pulling out of DSLR market is something completely different. Worst, it will have a negative impact on its profitable point/shoot.

Besides, its one thing to anger a $399 Sony Clie owner ( I'm one of them ); its entirely another to anger a $4000 A900 Alpha users with extensive collection of fine & expensive lens.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Canon EOS M Nikon D3100 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
carljervis
Contributing MemberPosts: 976Gear list
Like?
Re: No, quitting will hurt SONY's reputation, brand image is important
In reply to 007peter, Apr 7, 2010

Jessops, are as reliable as public transport in this country, IMO...

headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?

Yeah right, and I guess that's why Sony just previewed two new DSLRs and lenses at PMA, and they've released more DSLR models than anyone else over the last year. Hilarious.

Robert Lynch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,765
Like?

What was he shilling instead of Sony? What would cause you to think that a manager at Jessop's would be in any position to say anything of substance about Sony's commitment to any particular market segment?

Hugh McCusker
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?

ishootfirst wrote:

I'm putting on my flame suit already but I had an interesting conversation with one of the senior managers at Jessops a few days ago.

That would have been on April 1st then??

He mentioned that Sony were "not in it for the long run" and that he wouldn't touch any of their new kit for that reason.

And that's why they are running the new A450 and have a 6 month order in the system !!

Sony will also have Jessops 6 month order forecast on the A700 'replacement' shown to them last December along with the new leader model.

I'm not convinced that he was basing this on any specific new information or fact but it was pretty chilling nonetheless..

I suggest he consults with his Buying director before he makes statements like that to the general public.

True about the discontinuation of models, not just from Sony. That's a poor attitude to have for a manager, bad example to set for his staff.

I sincerely doubt that, just another whinge from his personal standpoint.

Your thoughts?

-- hide signature --

iMages with eMagination
Some images here:- http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7424624543/photos

winedarksea
Senior MemberPosts: 1,650
Like?

ishootfirst wrote:

Your thoughts?

Not happening. Not even Jessops standpoint, just the ramblings of one guy not in the know.
--
Dulaney
A700; SAL 50 f1.4; SAL 18-250; CZ 85 f1.4

Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,927
Like?

um.. the guy lied to you and you bought something from him anyway?

ishootfirst wrote:

Your thoughts?

StevieDgpt
Regular MemberPosts: 322
Like?

ishootfirst wrote:

Your thoughts?

My Sister's next-door neighbor's cousin's brother-in-law knows a janitor that works at Sony and has seen an internal document that says Sony is buying both Canon and Nikon sometime in the next week.

Hey, my rumour is just as good as your rumour.

MrScary
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to StevieDgpt, Apr 8, 2010

Sony DSLR department is BUST!. No one discontinues a DSLR without another to take it's place. By By Sony...
--
MrScary (DennisR)
Swansea, Wales. UK
http://russ4tography.com/
http://copernob.jalbum.net/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scarecrowdr

MrScary's gear list:MrScary's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Epson Stylus Photo R3000
ovlov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,247
Like?
In reply to 007peter, Apr 8, 2010

You forgot AIWA. Sony dropped an entire company and brand name. I don't think it is completely out of the question that they could do the same to Alpha.

I highly doubt Sony cares if they anger a small handful of people that only dropped $4,000 on camera equipment. They have much bigger clients to tend to. I think if they were really serious about semi-pro and flagship bodies we would already have the A7XX available to us and have heard murmurings of a new A9XX by now.

007peter wrote:

Sony is not going to quit making DSLR. Mainly because

• Having a professional DSLR help to sells millions of sony point/shoots world wide.

• Sony P/S is selling very very well. DSLR is acting like a supporting system even if it is not selling well in North America

• Sony's #1 asset has been its brand name & reputation

• Quitting the DSLR will tarnished its brand name

I'm sure others will point out that sony has quit the stupid MD music player, SACD audio format, infamous beta tapes, Clie pda, and more recently sony memory stick for camera (going SD). However, these are all minor divisions that sony can quit without hurting its brand name. Pulling out of DSLR market is something completely different. Worst, it will have a negative impact on its profitable point/shoot.

Besides, its one thing to anger a $399 Sony Clie owner ( I'm one of them ); its entirely another to anger a $4000 A900 Alpha users with extensive collection of fine & expensive lens.

-- hide signature --
jond0
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?
In reply to 007peter, Apr 8, 2010

007peter wrote:

I have an a900 and a couple nice lenses, and while I would be disappointed if Sony dropped DSLR I would not be surprised.

BUT, even so my a900 and lenses would still work for quite awhile. Sony has usually been ok about keeping parts available for some time for most products, I'll just get a few extra batteries.

barri
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?
no, surely not... n/t
In reply to ishootfirst, Apr 8, 2010
-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha 900 user...

Zeiss 2.8/24-70 SSM, Minolta 2.8/100 macro, Sony 1.4/50, Sony 2.8/70-200 SSM, Sony 1.4x TC, Minolta 4.5/400 HS, Sigma 12-24, Metz 54 MZ-4, Vivitar 285HV, Canon S90

see some of my images at
http://christianriedel.com
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_search.php?action=file&userID=953875

barri's gear list:barri's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T*
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,820
Like?
In reply to jond0, Apr 8, 2010

jond0 wrote:

BUT, even so my a900 and lenses would still work for quite awhile. Sony has usually been ok about keeping parts available for some time for most products, I'll just get a few extra batteries.

The information that's included when you have something repaired by sony (at least in the line of camera stuff) is that Sony will only honor extended warranties and supply parts for 7 years after the last date of production of the particular model. For the a700, for instance that means end of parts in 6.5 years as last July was the last date of production.

Some may consider that a very long time, but if trying to survive with the equipment it will be over in a flash.

I think it's more likely that Sony will still have something that they call a DSLR but which will functionally be far from one. Especially an advanced one.

Walt

winedarksea
Senior MemberPosts: 1,650
Like?
In reply to MrScary, Apr 8, 2010

MrScary wrote:

Sony DSLR department is BUST!. No one discontinues a DSLR without another to take it's place. By By Sony...
--
MrScary (DennisR)
Swansea, Wales. UK
http://russ4tography.com/
http://copernob.jalbum.net/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scarecrowdr

you're not remotely as scary as you think you are, sir
--
Dulaney
A700; SAL 50 f1.4; SAL 18-250; CZ 85 f1.4

EaglePhotog
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?

I don't listen to anyone in the big chain camera stores... they often try to sell another camera or brand that has a higher markup for them IMHO....
--
Sony A900 w/VG, Sony A700 w/VG, Maxxum 7D w/VG, Sony A350,

Tamron SP11-18 f/4.5-5.6, Sony DT18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC MACRO, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Minolta 50 f/1.7, Tamron SP90mm macro f/2.8, Carl Zeiss 135 f/1.8, Tamron DI 70-200 f2.8, Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/2.8-4, Sigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX w/Sigma EX 2x converter

rpg7
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
In reply to EaglePhotog, Apr 8, 2010

I called my contacts at Sony this morning and they ensured me that they are notgoing to close Alpha division. They have already 7 new bodies almost ready(with 2 FF bodies) and will release 4 of them before the end of this year and 3more by early 2011. And for lenses they are coming with 2 new once this year and 4 new for next year with tilt shift. They are also working on a macro ringflash that should be ready within the next 14 months and also a new Zeiss Macro lens.

steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,594Gear list
Like?
In reply to rpg7, Apr 8, 2010

Do you mean mock ups?

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
William P
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?
Not a chance - Sony MUST have at least 2 pro DSLRs with video

Without at least one FF and one APS-C camera good enough to be considered pro or semi-pro, both with well implemented video, how will Sony's pro video division compete with Canon?

Sony would be giving up much more than the DSLR market if they bail out.

Cheers,
William
--
http://www.williampitcher.ca

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads