Aftermarket battery

Started Apr 1, 2010 | Discussions
Owen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
Aftermarket battery
Apr 1, 2010

Bought an aftermarket battery for my 5D mkII about 6 months ago. Label on it says CTA. I never used it much. Last night I charged it and nothing, camera would show a dead battery. I mainly purchased it as a backup. I will try charging it again but I am not hopeful.
Beware if you have one of these.

Owen

GtoJon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,397Gear list
Like?
Thanks for the Heads-Up : )) (nt)
In reply to Owen, Apr 1, 2010
-- hide signature --

http://www.JonSmithers.com GtoJon -
Taken any photographs lately?

GtoJon's gear list:GtoJon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon Extender EF 2x II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Scales USA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,119
Like?
Re: Aftermarket battery
In reply to Owen, Apr 2, 2010

Owen wrote:

Bought an aftermarket battery for my 5D mkII about 6 months ago. Label on it says CTA. I never used it much. Last night I charged it and nothing, camera would show a dead battery. I mainly purchased it as a backup. I will try charging it again but I am not hopeful.

Owen

You are lucky, I bought a used Sony digital camera with a aftermarket li-on battery that had expanded until it would not come out of the camera. I spent a hour carefully drilling it dozens of times until I could take it out in pieces. Then, I bought a authentic one.

Remember, these aftermarket batteries are made by the country that let dairy producers cheat on baby's milk. Do you think they care about your camera battery?

Steve Burger
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?

Only the Canon battery will work right away and give charge levels. An good fully charged aftermarket battery will give an error message on screen and them work fine but show no charge. Are you sure you did not get the battery communication message... you have to choose to use the battery a start up when you get the message. I have a couple of the aftermarket batteries which I use for backup for trave,l I charge the Canon battery right away and use aftermarket ones when I can not charge. Canon battery charges fine in aftermarket charger so you don't need to carry both.

Will Rushmore
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
In reply to Scales USA, Apr 2, 2010

To be honest, the "original" batteries are likely to be made exactly in the same country. It's not where they're made that matters, it's whose logo they bear and how much the owner of that logo cares about being sued.

wa2n
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
In reply to Steve Burger, Apr 2, 2010

Steve Burger wrote:

Only the Canon battery will work right away and give charge levels. An good fully charged aftermarket battery will give an error message on screen and them work fine but show no charge. Are you sure you did not get the battery communication message..

Also, the aftermarket batteries won't be charged on the Canon charger - only an aftermarket charger will allow the charge to proceed. Conversely, the aftermarket charger will charge a Canon battery. So if you forget and leave a charger home, leave the Canon.

Owen
Like?
Got the message
In reply to Steve Burger, Apr 2, 2010

and clicked o.k. Battery indicator on the top LCD flashes empty.

Owen

Owen
Like?
Tried charging it again

Put it back in the camera and all was ok, for awhile, went out a couple of hours later and the battery was dead.
That's what I get for not buying a Canon replacement.

Owen

txww
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
Re: Tried charging it again
In reply to Owen, Apr 3, 2010

Are you sure you get the right battery? I have 2 after market batteries for my 5D and have not had a bit of trouble with them. In fact they last longer then the original Canon battery does. They also fit and charge in the Canon charger. That's why I wonder if you got the correct battery.

Don Krauss
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?

I have had good results with CTA batteries. I used them on my old 5D, 40D, and 20D.

Today I have two CTA batteries for my 5D mark II. I use the battery grip and mix one Canon and one CTA. The Canon battery reports the charge level, so when it is low, then I know the CTA is also low.

So far the pairs has been working fine, and it has saved me a few bucks, plus I have a second charger for the CTA batteries.

-DK

Don Krauss's gear list:Don Krauss's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D +13 more
Will Rushmore
Like?

Many aftermarket battery brands don't actually manufacture anything, they just buy the batteries (from multiple suppliers), slap their logo on them and sell them in a different country. This means batteries of the same "brand" might come from completely different manufacturers. This would be fine if the final "brand" had any quality control, but most of the time they don't (they just import, repackage and resell), so it's a matter of luck.

Canon and Nikon probably don't manufacture their own batteries, either (I'm sure Nikon doesn't, Canon might), but they do put them through quality control, since bad batteries would affect their reputation.

Nikon1977
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?
In reply to Will Rushmore, Apr 3, 2010

I checked my LP-E6 battery for my 5d Mark II and it says "Cells made in Japan", "Further processed in China". I assume any circuitry and packaging were done in China. In some cases, the manufacturers will have company owned plants in other countries to reduce cost.

Will Rushmore
Like?
In reply to Nikon1977, Apr 3, 2010

Well, there are good and bad manufacturers (of pretty much anything) in China, so it's still a matter of luck. Unless you know the exact manufacturer (which can be nearly impossible to find out), the best indicator of quality is whether or not some major brand was willing to slap their logo on it. That won't guarantee you're getting the best, but it (almost) guarantees you won't be getting something terrible.

kevindar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,590Gear list
Like?

bought 2 for my 5d2 a year ago. they charge in canon charger, show amount of charge, and have been working fine for a year. bought them for 16 each. canon was going for 80 back then. There was a seller on ebay selling them for a period of about a week. dont know what they were pulled.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11731152@N00/

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +21 more
Robert Sheldon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,017
Like?
In reply to kevindar, Apr 3, 2010

kevindar wrote:

bought 2 for my 5d2 a year ago. they charge in canon charger, show amount of charge, and have been working fine for a year. bought them for 16 each. canon was going for 80 back then. There was a seller on ebay selling them for a period of about a week. dont know what they were pulled.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11731152@N00/

I got mine at the same time and it is still working. The next week the seller reported he was having "supplier" problems and has never had them since that one time.
--
Bob Sheldon
Photo Gallery at
http://www.bobsheldon.com

lensman57
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
In reply to Scales USA, Apr 3, 2010

Scales USA wrote:

Owen wrote:

Owen

You are lucky, I bought a used Sony digital camera with a aftermarket li-on battery that had expanded until it would not come out of the camera. I spent a hour carefully drilling it dozens of times until I could take it out in pieces. Then, I bought a authentic one.

Remember, these aftermarket batteries are made by the country that let dairy producers cheat on baby's milk. Do you think they care about your camera battery?

The funny thing is this particular country is also manufacturing about 90% of the electronic equipment that we use today including DSLRs, Flash units , Mac computers etc, etc ,etc . long live free global ( cheap labour, low quality) market economy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads