Eye damage from sun in viewfinder accidentally?

Started Mar 18, 2010 | Discussions
Graystar
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,373
Like?
Re: Getting back to the original statement...
In reply to Daniel Lee Taylor, Mar 23, 2010

Daniel Lee Taylor wrote:

I just want to make sure readers understand the dangers involved. It's a legitimate issue for photographers who often shoot sun rises and sunsets.

And I would agree.

Readers should note, however, that posts should be read in relation to the context of the threads they appear in, which in this case was a brief glance at the sun through a 24mm lens. Under the conditions described it's simply impossible for the OP to have suffered any eye damage, which was the point I was trying to make.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Laurie Strachan
Contributing MemberPosts: 958
Like?
Re: Seriously off topic
In reply to Daniel Lee Taylor, Mar 24, 2010

Daniel Lee Taylor wrote:

If you're not serious and were just hoping to attack the Berghof's beliefs, quit. I'm sure the forum doesn't need that BS any more than it needs someone attacking a person who makes the comment "evolution by natural selection made your eye resiliant."

Actually Mr Berghof, who invoked "the creator", was seriously off topic and distorting discussion of the problem originally put forward. No intelligent discussion is advanced by this kind of "BS" as you put it. That was my point. Religious dogma does nothing to explain natural phenomena and, in a case where actual damage can occur, it would be foolish and dangerous to trust to "the creator" to keep you safe. Let's stick to what we know or can reasonably assume.
--
Laurie Strachan

Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,435Gear list
Like?
Go see an optomotrist instead of asking on a photo board?
In reply to rich66, Mar 24, 2010

I'm not trying to be rude but what are you doing even asking this question if you have serious concern for your eyesight? Yes sunlight focused into your eyes CAN cause damage. It probably hasn't but we're not doctors and this isn't an exam room. Good idea to check your eyesight from time to time anyway. Find someone you trust and if you do get a diagnosis that you didn't think likely make sure to get another opinion.

-- hide signature --

Sammy

nobius
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
In reply to Graystar, Mar 24, 2010

So how do people take pictures of sunrises and sunsets without damaging their equipment or eyes?

Graystar
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,373
Like?
In reply to nobius, Mar 24, 2010

nobius wrote:

So how do people take pictures of sunrises and sunsets without damaging their equipment or eyes?

They don't use 1500mm telescopes as a lens

Wide angle, LiveView, wear sunglasses...when the sun is really low it's pretty safe because there's so much atmosphere between you and it, but that's no reason to be stupid. Common sense works well here.

rich66
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
Re: Go see an optomotrist instead of asking on a photo board?
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Mar 28, 2010

Thanks so much everyone for the continued discussion while I have been away. The experiences of those who have replied are exactly what I was looking for, especially since what I did must happen to other people from time to time. I would definitely have seen the optometrist had there been any symptoms.

The Hoff
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lee Taylor, Jun 2, 2012

So I shouldn't worry either?... I went out tonight arount 9pm to play around with my sigma 120-400, hoping to get some shots of fishing herons near where I live. All i got was ducks, and then just for the heck of it took three shots of the setting sun through the foliage in some oaks, but afterwards I started wondering whether I was stupid looking through the viewfinder doing this (?). I took the photos at 120mm, f8. Would I notice it right away if I've done anyting stupid?

The Hoff's gear list:The Hoff's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
LightRoom
Contributing MemberPosts: 614
Like?
some damage
In reply to Daniel Lee Taylor, Jun 2, 2012

It's quite likely you've received some minor damage. Thankfully the eye is quite good at recovering and anyway the brain remaps damaged cells, so even if some aren't working you won't be able to tell the difference. Of course it's better not to have this happening often, as you might end up blind of one eye as the sailors from the past.

So, nothing to worry about, unless you make a habit of it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads