D90 overexposure yes or no.Beginners

Started Mar 16, 2010 | Discussions
demarren 123
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,520Gear list
Like?
D90 overexposure yes or no.Beginners
Mar 16, 2010

I toucht it is time to do an exposure test in real time pictures ,right after another.

I found the D90 is abit hot,but not to overexpose to mush,it is simple to set it right.

I have no problem with my D90,but I reed alot of people having problem with there D90 exposure,so here an little test in exelent wether.

The camera is set to default settings,and shoot in jpg,just in case.as in raw you have more room then in jpg,but I figured alot shoot jpg so,yep right.

please take under consideration thad iso was set At Iso 100 instead of 200 base iso.
next test would be at Iso 200 as base iso.
here is the camera setting.

Lens used 16-85 VR II
Set at F/8

ADL is normal
color space is normal
contrast and brighness normal
de rest is standard,mush the same as you buy D90 and shoot in Aperture mode.
without change anny settings.

here picture one set at exposure compensation 0

Crop 100 %

Second picture two set at exposure compensation -0.3

Crop 100 %

Picture three set at exposure compensation -0.7

Crop 100 %

So wat do this pictures tell me the D90 meter abit hot in strong sun.

But do it cose anny problems,I found it is not an problem,as far you remind,and know D90, meter abit hot at zero exposure base.
however this pictures are not 100% fool proof becouse it is just one scene.

and another scene can have diferent results,but when I view my other pictures the camera act abit the same for all scenes I took,in the beginning I have the camera.
set at zero compensation,and thoise look abit hot to.

So when you are new to D90 shoot in jpg,and use ISO 100 then it is better to dial -0.3 exposure compensation.
As an starting point.
You get the better results thad way.

For the rest D90 have an verry good matrix mode and is al the way verry riable.

but nikon set it abit hot for my taste,however it is not thad hard to just set exposure abit lower.

So I hope expecial for beginners this is an good starting point.

Have fun,and shoot away D90 is exelent camera

-- hide signature --

My english is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D5000,Oly 420,LX3,DP-1 D90
http://demarren.smugmug.com/
Claus M

demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Olympus E-10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D70s +7 more
RobertLaw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,017
Like?
Re: D90 overexposure yes or no.Beginners
In reply to demarren 123, Mar 16, 2010

You example is hardly a normal example. You have two overriding areas of color and tone. A bright blue sky and a dark river. This is going to throw the meter off and overexpose.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
binary_eye
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,290
Like?

Does the camera or the photographer overexpose?

I can understand suggesting a P&S overexposes, because it's designed for the user that has little or no knowledge of photography and the camera should make up for that. But an SLR? It's designed to give control to the user. If the user can't be bothered to learn how to control it to achieve what they want, then either they shouldn't be using it or they shouldn't be upset when the results aren't what they expect.

PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
In reply to RobertLaw, Mar 16, 2010

RobertLaw wrote:

You example is hardly a normal example. You have two overriding areas of color and tone. A bright blue sky and a dark river. This is going to throw the meter off and overexpose.

Yup, and he is using Matrix metering and Active D-Lighting as well. Try going for spot or center weighted metering and turn Active D-Lighting off.

PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
Soren47
Contributing MemberPosts: 839
Like?

The photo with -0.7 is OK but there's not focal point - a bland river and sky with some buildings in the background. You need to focus on something and probably with spot metering.

Interesting though - I've found my Nikons tend to underexpose by a slight amount.

demarren 123
Like?

Afcours thad why I used this scene.

RobertLaw wrote:

-- hide signature --

Claus M

Olympus E-10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D70s +7 more
demarren 123
Like?
In reply to PepsiCan, Mar 16, 2010

Ok I am an advanged shooter like most of you guys here,this was ment for people just buying the camera,and I bet alot of the people use alot of this type of scenes to begin with.

Thads why this thread.
to get started

PepsiCan wrote:

RobertLaw wrote:

Yup, and he is using Matrix metering and Active D-Lighting as well. Try going for spot or center weighted metering and turn Active D-Lighting off.

Wel the camera is set this way when you buy an new one,I just replecate how you get an picture when you are new to it
For starters.

-- hide signature --

Claus M

demarren 123
Like?
In reply to binary_eye, Mar 16, 2010

you don,t get the point of it.
This have nothing to do with the photographer when hi just start in Dslr world.
most coming from an point and shoot camera.
So here are the pictures out of camera when you shoot.

It is not me thad setup the camera,it is nikon thad set up the camera,so you should blame nikon.

binary_eye wrote:

Does the camera or the photographer overexpose?

I can understand suggesting a P&S overexposes, because it's designed for the user that has little or no knowledge of photography and the camera should make up for that. But an SLR? It's designed to give control to the user. If the user can't be bothered to learn how to control it to achieve what they want, then either they shouldn't be using it or they shouldn't be upset when the results aren't what they expect.

You are right afcours,but some one just start with an new camera wil shoot thad way.

Ok I know and you know how to set up the camera,an newbie do not know wat to expect.

-- hide signature --

Claus M

demarren 123
Like?
In reply to Soren47, Mar 16, 2010

Yes picture at -0.7 is fine.

I know it is hard to deal with this sort of pictures,but starters shoot most of them when the get an dslr.

I agree distand is far,black water fool the meter,and afcours the white in distand cannot be accurate,becouse it is to far away for the meter to reed it any way.

Do you think an newbie know thad,when hi buy an dslr.I do not think so.

Soren47 wrote:

The photo with -0.7 is OK but there's not focal point - a bland river and sky with some buildings in the background. You need to focus on something and probably with spot metering.

In the manuel nikon recoment only spot metering for close distand and for example flowers,not for scenes like thad.

Interesting though - I've found my Nikons tend to underexpose by a slight amount.

-- hide signature --

Claus M

vagtanklan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,353Gear list
Like?
Just so you know about ISO 100

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&message=33543798&q=d90+iso100&qf=m

I quote:

"ISO100" is actually ISO200 1 stop overexposed on the sensor and then 1 stop underexposed in software therefore the noise is reduced by factor two but you loose 1 stop in the highlights.

Don't make it worse by using ISO 100

These are two examples where I am 100% positive that the D5000 would have protected the highlights better. The last one, maybe asking too much.

vagtanklan's gear list:vagtanklan's gear list
Nikon D40 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +8 more
Cedarhill
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,638
Like?

The D60 and D80 both consistently overexpose the highlights of contrasty scenes in bright sunny conditions in matrix mode. D80 is a little worse than D60. With the D80, I normally start with -0.7 exposure compensation in P, S or A modes and adjust the meter by the same amount in manual mode. Active-D lighting helps some with the D60 if you shoot JPEGs. This behavior has been frequently noted for these two cameras on DPR and elsewhere. I have heard that the D90 isn't quite as likely to overexpose as the D80, but still requires some negative exposure compensation most of the time in sunny outdoor situations.

demarren 123
Like?
In reply to Cedarhill, Mar 16, 2010

Indeed I found this to,exatly as you say.
I have exelent results this way
Thank you.

Cedarhill wrote:

The D60 and D80 both consistently overexpose the highlights of contrasty scenes in bright sunny conditions in matrix mode. D80 is a little worse than D60. With the D80, I normally start with -0.7 exposure compensation in P, S or A modes and adjust the meter by the same amount in manual mode. Active-D lighting helps some with the D60 if you shoot JPEGs. This behavior has been frequently noted for these two cameras on DPR and elsewhere. I have heard that the D90 isn't quite as likely to overexpose as the D80, but still requires some negative exposure compensation most of the time in sunny outdoor situations.

-- hide signature --

Claus M

demarren 123
Like?
Re: Just so you know about ISO 100
In reply to vagtanklan, Mar 16, 2010

vagtanklan wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&message=33543798&q=d90+iso100&qf=m

I quote:

"ISO100" is actually ISO200 1 stop overexposed on the sensor and then 1 stop underexposed in software therefore the noise is reduced by factor two but you loose 1 stop in the highlights.

Yes thad was an quistion I like to ask for you.
I also found somtinge simulair like you,but I do not understand it like you do.

how does the D90 or D5000 lower the ISO when base ISO is 200
Then wat you mean by loose A stop in the highlights,can you explane abit more
thank you

Don't make it worse by using ISO 100

These are two examples where I am 100% positive that the D5000 would have protected the highlights better. The last one, maybe asking too much.

-- hide signature --

Claus M

Soren47
Like?

demarren 123 wrote:

I know it is hard to deal with this sort of pictures,but starters shoot most of them when the get an dslr.

I agree distand is far,black water fool the meter,and afcours the white in distand cannot be accurate,becouse it is to far away for the meter to reed it any way.

Soren47 wrote:

In the manuel nikon recoment only spot metering for close distand and for example flowers,not for scenes like thad.

-- hide signature --

Claus M

Claus,

I'm in no way being critical of a newcomer to DLSRs. I've taken 100s of photos that were absolutely dreadful. That's how we learn. I have found that using spot metering gives me the best results - you can focus on the primary subject and then do EV adjustments as necessary. Just keep shooting - that's the key.

vagtanklan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,353Gear list
Like?

As I understand, the signal is amplified from the sensor - effectivly washing out noise - but the flipside is that hightlights are pushed as well, and if you are close to the upper limits of the sensors dynamic range, highlights get clipped - and they remain that way even if you add negative exposure comensation PP (also the camera adds it's own before you get that far).

vagtanklan's gear list:vagtanklan's gear list
Nikon D40 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +8 more
demarren 123
Like?

Soren47 wrote:

demarren 123 wrote:

Soren47 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Claus M

Claus,

I'm in no way being critical of a newcomer to DLSRs. I've taken 100s of photos that were absolutely dreadful. That's how we learn. I have found that using spot metering gives me the best results - you can focus on the primary subject and then do EV adjustments as necessary. Just keep shooting - that's the key.

Yes afcours I shoot hehe.
It bolw down to wat you find is the right solution for you,or me.
happy shooting

-- hide signature --

Claus M

demarren 123
Like?
In reply to vagtanklan, Mar 16, 2010

Thanks so mush for the lesson.
Now I understand it thanks so mush

vagtanklan wrote:

As I understand, the signal is amplified from the sensor - effectivly washing out noise - but the flipside is that hightlights are pushed as well, and if you are close to the upper limits of the sensors dynamic range, highlights get clipped - and they remain that way even if you add negative exposure comensation PP (also the camera adds it's own before you get that far).

-- hide signature --

Claus M

Sanjeev Das
Contributing MemberPosts: 827Gear list
Like?
Not the D90

The D80 used to a bit hot and very sensitive to the focus point in bright contrasty situations. I used to leave the d80 at -0.3 all the time. The D90 is a lot better and I leave it at 0.

Sanjeev Das's gear list:Sanjeev Das's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Sony Alpha 7R Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
RobertLaw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,017
Like?

Assuming that is how the camera is when it comes from Nikon, how is that any worse than throwing something like always using an exposure compensation of -0.7? Then they will often get underexposed pictures and wonder who is the guy who recommended the -0.7.

I think it is much better to post a small tutorial on taking a shot and then determining whether or not you need to adjust for THAT shot. Other shots will be different.

A blanket "shoot at -0.7 exposure compensation" is as bad as "always us ADL".

Soren47
Like?

RobertLaw wrote:

Assuming that is how the camera is when it comes from Nikon, how is that any worse than throwing something like always using an exposure compensation of -0.7? Then they will often get underexposed pictures and wonder who is the guy who recommended the -0.7.

I think it is much better to post a small tutorial on taking a shot and then determining whether or not you need to adjust for THAT shot. Other shots will be different.

A blanket "shoot at -0.7 exposure compensation" is as bad as "always us ADL".

Yes, every shot is unique. A 2/3s underexposure is not always appropriate and hope no one assumes that it is.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads