'Modernisation' GH1 Pink Floyd video filmed in Boracay

Started Mar 2, 2010 | Discussions
CommanderSpike
Regular MemberPosts: 298
Like?
'Modernisation' GH1 Pink Floyd video filmed in Boracay
Mar 2, 2010

I took my trusty GH1 on holiday with me last week, much to the disgust of my girlfriend! The aim was to make a video for Pink Floyd's Wish You Were here, about the divide between rich and poor people on the island. A divide which really is literally between the two sides of the island, two beaches, within 100m of each other.

I have a 5DMkII but left it at home. I think that says much about the GH1's capabilities. But one nagging aspect of viewing video on a computer screen and Vimeo is starting to bother me. It just doesn't do the GH1 justice. On a TV or projector, even a cheap 32 inch LCD TV, the colours and contrast just blow you away and the codec compression isn't noticeable because you're further away from the TV. Therefore, without that to distract you, the detail really pops out at you. Please give it a try guys, I think you'll be happy how this little camera stacks up against the might (and expense) of a professional 5DMkII set up.

A bit about the video... the people living in poverty really enjoy having annoying westerner's pop up on the doorstep with cameras... the island has a great atmosphere and beautiful nature, but there is darkness lurking within. Half way through the video, the girl holding her baby (with the man wearing a purple headscarf), I was told, fathered the baby with an American tourist at the age of only 13 or 14. The family however, are proud of the fact this happened. A very different mind-set to western society here but also quite worrying. Her life and childhood had been taken away by what is essentially a crime, but they all seemed happy.

All in all, great fun to do this video and I hope you get some feeling of the story I'm trying to tell with this little GH1.

http://www.vimeo.com/9853081

G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194Gear list
Like?
Re: 'Modernisation' GH1 Pink Floyd video filmed in Boracay
In reply to CommanderSpike, Mar 2, 2010

Lovely film; well done!

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,744Gear list
Like?

Cool video. Have you tried uploading it to youtube? Both Vimeo and Youtube allow 1080p now. However, youtube has a much higher allowed file size. Basically you can upload the original file without any re-compression for free. That can help quality some.

How large was the file that you uploaded? Was it less than 2 GB?

-- hide signature --
 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
oomomo
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?

Rich and poor living side by side... That's Philippines 101

Nice video and nice control of subjects. Whenever I shoot children, they seem to be so happy to have a camera pointed at them so they make all these wacky poses
--
http://electriceye.tumblr.com/

FredB
Contributing MemberPosts: 828Gear list
Like?

Pink Floyd you say? .. I cannot resist ... Favorite Band must watch your vid
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30939186@N04/

FredB's gear list:FredB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Four by Six
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?

Thank you for sharing. I greatly enjoyed the video. I didn't notice any "lack of global shutter" issues anywhere. Nicely shot.

mikeval
Senior MemberPosts: 1,205
Like?
In reply to Four by Six, Mar 2, 2010

Lovely video - well done.

With such empathy and visual skills you could make some very hard hitting social/political comments - if that is your wish.

Good luck

mikeval
Senior MemberPosts: 1,205
Like?
In reply to oomomo, Mar 2, 2010

oomomo wrote:

Rich and poor living side by side... That's Philippines 101

Sadly, that's most of the rest of the world too, just not so visually obvious.

Snowbird_UT
Contributing MemberPosts: 946Gear list
Like?
Nicely done Andrew.
In reply to CommanderSpike, Mar 3, 2010

I like the repeated shots of the swimmer as if he is swimming through life and this is what he saw along the way. Not sure if that was your intention but that's what I felt when viewing. BTW, great choice of music, gotta love Floyd. Thanks for sharing. That little GH1 does OK in the right hands.
--
Cheers,
Snowbird_UT

CommanderSpike
Like?
Re: Nicely done Andrew.
In reply to Snowbird_UT, Mar 3, 2010

Nice interpretation of the swimmer Snowbird! Not my intention, didn't think about that but it's a good idea.

CommanderSpike
Like?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Mar 3, 2010

Thanks for the heads-up on file size. Indeed, Vimeo has a 1GB limit. I tend to stay off YouTube though because Vimeo has a great social networking thing going on, is geared toward film makers, and its nice to use. I dislike the amount of ads on YouTube and people tend to speak a lot of BS in the video comments!!

This one clocked in at around 850MB.

Much of the compression vanishes if viewed on a large TV at a normal distance. In fact detail, colour and contrast look 10x better on a TV than on a computer / laptop screen. I feel like writing a blog on it!! Feel very strongly that it would appear we've been looking at photos and video on the wrong medium for some time now.

Print the photos large. Watch the videos on TV! That's how they're meant to be seen I guess.

CommanderSpike
Like?
In reply to FredB, Mar 3, 2010

I wasn't even born when Wish You Were Here was released but their lyrics connect with me in 2010, 100%.

Their music goes brilliantly with moving images or whilst walking through busy crowds with lots of movement.

Whilst filming this in Boracay, the intense heat and beautiful beaches seemed to make the sands of time slow down completely!! This is also what Pink Floyd's music does so there was always only going be one choice in terms of musical style and lyrics for this video. Wish You Were Here.

I had it in my head while using the camera!!

FredB wrote:

Pink Floyd you say? .. I cannot resist ... Favorite Band must watch your vid
--

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,478Gear list
Like?
  • Very good video, well done, well edit, sound and song are good, I give 5 stars to this including the intention of the video

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
FredB
Contributing MemberPosts: 828Gear list
Like?

i was born one year to the month of the CD and was fortunate enough to see them in concert once. I really enjoyed the video and my heart went out to the people very moving
--

FredB's gear list:FredB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
David247
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406Gear list
Like?
WOW!! Great

Wonderful video and speaks volumes. Thanks a lot for sharing.

I worked and lived in the Philippines for a year with my prior employer. Unfortunately, too much work and too little photography, but you are right, the contrasts between rich and poor are "extreme". And the cultural standards are different. The people are wonderful and hospitable for the most part and I would go back in an instant given the chance. They love pictures and posing for pictures. At work, at restaurants or clubs and even on the street.

The following photos were taken with my Oly 500 or a Panny FZ50 while I was there. I was waiting to flag down a taxi, when some boys yelled at me. Sir, just one picture please sir. They wanted to pose for me. Started with 3 boys and in seconds they were joined by others. The same thing happened when several Newspaper sellers were preparing their papers and asked me to photograph them. At a night club, in a staff members lined up asking me to photography them. Even a bank guard.

-- hide signature --
 David247's gear list:David247's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus E-510
jjholmes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,773
Like?
Questions for you....

I am trying to figure out if the "much a do" about deinterlacing and "pulling down" is a big deal, or if it is just purists (similar to film junkies) clamoring about the video quality. I do not know much about video and would love to learn but it seems so complex (particularly editing) compared to stills.

One thing I have never been very fond of is developing or post-processing, I enjoy the act of photographing. I do PP but with the least amount of effort possible.

How important is this "unwrapping" of the 60i into 24p (or whatever it is) and what editing software do you recommend? I am a PC and have Sony Vegas Pro. Any thoughts?
--
Best regards,
Jeff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuikoarts
http://www.zuikoarts.com
http://www.zuikoarts.posterous.com

CommanderSpike
Like?
Re: Questions for you....
In reply to jjholmes, Mar 3, 2010

Happy to answer, Holmes!

Unwrapping the 60i stream into 24p (as it was recorded by the camera sensor) is absolutely 100% essential but there is no art to it.

On the Mac, the GH1's AVCHD files need to be processed (transcoded) into Apple ProRes LT anyway before I can edit them. I use Voltaic 2.0 to do this and it also de-interlaces the footage from 60i, producing native 24p footage as it was intended by the camera. It is as simple as ticking the box labeled Export As 24p.

I left it going for almost 48hrs.. it's very processor intensive when you have nearly 2 hours of rolling footage from the memory card.

A lot of fuss on other forums like dvxuser has been spoken over the best deinterlacing methods, etc. Well, for me - they're all exactly the same and once I found one which worked I stuck with it. The options for AVCHD are still a bit limited anyway.

I have never been a fan of post processing or 'grading' either, the furthest I get is to make colour shots black and white!!

Whilst I find pixel-peeping footage from new cameras interesting on a technology level, I don't find it artistically helpful, and I think a computer screen is the wrong medium to dissect video on anyway. View the GH1's footage on a good plasma TV and you will be blown away by the colour, detail and dynamic range it offers compared to on a laptops screen.

Trust me, the difference is 10x and you no longer worry about compression or codec issues, which are magnified on a high resolution computer LCD.

jjholmes wrote:

I am trying to figure out if the "much a do" about deinterlacing and "pulling down" is a big deal, or if it is just purists (similar to film junkies) clamoring about the video quality. I do not know much about video and would love to learn but it seems so complex (particularly editing) compared to stills.

One thing I have never been very fond of is developing or post-processing, I enjoy the act of photographing. I do PP but with the least amount of effort possible.

How important is this "unwrapping" of the 60i into 24p (or whatever it is) and what editing software do you recommend? I am a PC and have Sony Vegas Pro. Any thoughts?
--
Best regards,
Jeff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuikoarts
http://www.zuikoarts.com
http://www.zuikoarts.posterous.com

blitze
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?

Great video and well chosen music. Putting this up on YouTube might have the soundtrack yanked though as they have strict policies on copyright over there.

Loved what these cameras can do although I'm a PC/Premier Pro person myself for Video work.

jjholmes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,773
Like?

Thank you very much. I have been able to look at e few on my 1080p TV (through HDMI out on my notebook) and it is stunning. Another issue is the cost of BD's and a the BD burner to take full advantage of the 1080p for playback and archiving. Wow!
--
Best regards,
Jeff

madmaxmedia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518
Like?
Absolutely wonderful

Great video, I really liked it- especially considering this was something you shot while on vacation. So much so I actually downloaded the almost 1GB full-sized version!

There are a LOT of very pretty videos on Vimeo of users 'playing' around with their cameras, editing artful looking slo-mo's of their local park, etc.- basically tech demos of their gear. That stuff is fun of course, especially when you first get a new toy. But your video goes well beyond that, into to the realm of actually significant and meaningful content- something that was really worth watching, whether it is in 1080p or whatever or not.

Cheers

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads