Shooting sports indoors-Swimming canon 7d

Started Feb 28, 2010 | Discussions
spp18001sapopt
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Shooting sports indoors-Swimming canon 7d
Feb 28, 2010

Please All.

Can You help me with the best settings( C1-C2-C3 ) for my canon 7DShooting sports indoors (Swimming ) i am a nweebe

Best to All
João Neves

dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,528Gear list
Like?
Re: Shooting sports indoors-Swimming canon 7d
In reply to spp18001sapopt, Feb 28, 2010

Without knowing the environment or anything about the lighting, I can only offer some very generic advice:

Shoot RAW. Indoor lighting can be horrid and a challenge for any camera's auto white balance, so you'll want to be able to correct in post processing.

done' be afraid to shoot at a very high ISO. If the lighting is weak, ramp it up, even to ISO 6400. Noisy sharp shots are better than noise-free blurs.

Ai-Servo focusing, using either the center point or center cluster would probably work best.

And take the fastest telephotos you have...

Good luck.
--
-------------------------------------------------
'Hit Refresh if pix do not appear. Flaky ISP at work.'

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian D. Schneider
Forum ProPosts: 16,995
Like?

spp18001sapopt wrote:

Please All.

Can You help me with the best settings( C1-C2-C3 ) for my canon 7DShooting sports indoors (Swimming ) i am a nweebe

Best to All
João Neves

I use 7D + 70-200 f2.8 L IS for water polo. ISO from 3200 - 6400. Auto WB. ( the pool I shoot at has uneven light from one end to the other. I usually use + 1/3 th 2/3 compensation because of water splashing makes bright spots that can cause underexposure. The old arms can get pretty tired after a while so I use a monopod to support the weight.

Av, at f 3.2 is my usual f-stop. Also I use single point focus & move the spot to suit whatever compensation I want.

Date/Time 15-Nov-2009 15:02:55
Make Canon
Model Canon EOS 7D
Flash Used No
Focal Length 200 mm
Exposure Time 1/1250 sec
Aperture f/3.2
ISO Equivalent 6400

-- hide signature --

Brian Schneider

Dene
Senior MemberPosts: 1,232
Like?
Brian, fantastic shot
In reply to Brian D. Schneider, Feb 28, 2010

Yesterday I took my 7D to my little girls gymnastics final, (135mm f/2). The results we horrid at ISO 1600 and after I see your results on this shot, I'm wondering if I have a problem with my camera. I did send it in right after I got it in October for focus issues and now I'm wondering if they might've screwed around with something to give me constant noisey shots. I quake if I have to push the ISO over 400 and I realize that you shouldn't underexpose and then push in post because that makes the situation a whole lot worse. The day prior to gym I took my 5D2, (70-200 f/2.8) to the school for the olympic ceremonies and I was blown away by ISO 16-3200 from the full frame body, not a problem at all so it's not my style of shooting, this happens all the time when I bring out the 7D and have relented to leaving it at home for any shooting involving indoors and just use if for sunny days.

I haven't contacted Canon with examples yet but what do you think, you seem to be one of the more level headed posters on these forums and I'd respect your input.
Dene
--
Equipment in profile.

kathleen clayton
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?

All good suggestions. Be aware your camera will probably fog up for 10 or so min. Once it gets used to the heat and humidity it will be fine. Also, if it is a higher level swim meet there are often windows under the pool. Ask if you can grab some shots from there.
have fun

spp18001sapopt
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

First of all Thank you for the reply but do you have more settings thal can help me for my c1-Sports

Brian D. Schneider
Like?
Re: Brian, fantastic shot
In reply to Dene, Feb 28, 2010

Dene wrote:

Yesterday I took my 7D to my little girls gymnastics final, (135mm f/2). The results we horrid at ISO 1600 and after I see your results on this shot, I'm wondering if I have a problem with my camera. I did send it in right after I got it in October for focus issues and now I'm wondering if they might've screwed around with something to give me constant noisey shots. I quake if I have to push the ISO over 400 and I realize that you shouldn't underexpose and then push in post because that makes the situation a whole lot worse. The day prior to gym I took my 5D2, (70-200 f/2.8) to the school for the olympic ceremonies and I was blown away by ISO 16-3200 from the full frame body, not a problem at all so it's not my style of shooting, this happens all the time when I bring out the 7D and have relented to leaving it at home for any shooting involving indoors and just use if for sunny days.

I haven't contacted Canon with examples yet but what do you think, you seem to be one of the more level headed posters on these forums and I'd respect your input.
Dene
--
Equipment in profile.

Thanks, I have no idea why your pictures are noisy unless you are underexposing & pushing them. Can you post a sample of a problem pic? In my experience the 7d is very usable up to 6400 & even 12800 can be good for small prints. Look up some of Zee Char's footballl pics.
--
Brian Schneider

Brian D. Schneider
Like?

spp18001sapopt wrote:

First of all Thank you for the reply but do you have more settings thal can help me for my c1-Sports

i can't think of anything else except use servo focus. Also whatever you do dont underexpose your pictures.
Good luck have fun & post some pics?

Here is a link to my latest WP gallery. These were taken for the Regina Water Polo Club's web site using sRAW & med JPEG. Next time I will use fine JPEG only.
http://www.pbase.com/klatuu/saskopen
--
Brian Schneider

pdqgp
Forum ProPosts: 10,119Gear list
Like?

spp18001sapopt wrote:

Please All.

You'll likely shoot between ISO 1600 and 6400 depending on your lens and what you're trying to capture action wise. Lighting at our rec. center is a mix of natural light and standard sodium lights...which are horrible IMO. I make the most of it though.

I shoot a 40D and use a variety of lenses but usually go with my 100-400 even thought it's slow. I don't have long reaching f/2.8 otherwise I would use it. I do however use my 24-70 and a 100m f/2 which is fantastic.

With the 7D you'll be fine regardless as the ISO won't really be an issue given it's capabilities and how the images respond to NR.

Here are some typical samples from my kids at swimming lessons.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/swimming_lessons_2009__nick
http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/swimming_lessons_gallery

Just look over my settings which are typicall Tv mode and improve and adjust yours from there. Mine aren't perfect but then these are shots for us and our family, so I'm there first for the kids and the experience vs the photo perfection. I want to live in the moment and will improve over time I'm sure.

-- hide signature --

-tim

NW Columbus/Dublin, Ohio
Family Photo Site
http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro

RIP our Sweet Lady Jasmine II 1997-2008

pdqgp's gear list:pdqgp's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Konica KD-400 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS75 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 +14 more
pdqgp
Forum ProPosts: 10,119Gear list
Like?
Post some samples and crops

Dene wrote:

I would love to see some sample shots with exif. Please feel free to link us to some full size or crops with exif and I'm sure everyone will chime in with some helpful feedback.

I don't shoot a 7d but the nonetheless can provide insight on shooting at higher ISO's as I do it often with my 40D and get excellent results. No doubt the FF cams will do exceptionally well, but the 7D is certainly no slouch. Often times it's a matter of the surroundings and what you have to work with and then how the shots are post processed. For me, I am more limited by the lighting at the venues vs the equipment I have and what I can do with it. However, we do the best we can with what we have.

-- hide signature --

-tim

NW Columbus/Dublin, Ohio
Family Photo Site
http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro

RIP our Sweet Lady Jasmine II 1997-2008

pdqgp's gear list:pdqgp's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Konica KD-400 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS75 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 +14 more
Dene
Senior MemberPosts: 1,232
Like?
Link to picture Brian

Brian D. Schneider wrote:

Dene wrote:

Dene
--
Equipment in profile.

Thanks, I have no idea why your pictures are noisy unless you are underexposing & pushing them. Can you post a sample of a problem pic? In my experience the 7d is very usable up to 6400 & even 12800 can be good for small prints. Look up some of Zee Char's footballl pics.
--

Here is a link to one of the shots Brian. I always try to get the histogram pushed to the extreme right, as this one was. All shots come out quite dark on my laptop, (unclaibrated). I was going to upload a sample .CR2 file but since I shot in medium raw, it was too large but I hope that this jpg will show you what I'm talking about Brian. Thanks for doing this. Talk later, Dene

-- hide signature --

Equipment in profile.

dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,528Gear list
Like?

spp18001sapopt wrote:

C1 is not necessarily sports, but whatever you want it to be. The way it works is that you set your camera to whatever settings you want, and then assign those settings to C1, C2, or C3. It's just a feature designed to give you quick access to a group of settings. It is not a default sports setting.

-- hide signature --

'Hit Refresh if pix do not appear. Flaky ISP at work.'

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Brian D. Schneider
Like?
Re: Link to picture Brian

Dene wrote:

Brian D. Schneider wrote:

Dene wrote:

Dene
--
Equipment in profile.

--

Here is a link to one of the shots Brian. I always try to get the histogram pushed to the extreme right, as this one was. All shots come out quite dark on my laptop, (unclaibrated). I was going to upload a sample .CR2 file but since I shot in medium raw, it was too large but I hope that this jpg will show you what I'm talking about Brian. Thanks for doing this. Talk later, Dene

-- hide signature --

Equipment in profile.

I don't really see anything wrong with that. The noise I see is moderate & would clean up quite nicely.
--
Brian Schneider

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads