Nikon 18-55mm VR Auto Focus Won't Work at 18mm

Started Feb 25, 2010 | Discussions
rasbobre
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon 18-55mm VR Auto Focus Won't Work at 18mm
Feb 25, 2010

I have had a problem with my Nikon 18-55mm VR lens that has had be baffled for weeks. Every time I take a photo a photo all the way wide at 18mm I MAY get 3-6 shots off and then, bam camera won't fire. If I zoom in to say 30-40mm the camera starts firing again with no issues.

Anybody ever see this? If I switch both the lens and the camera to manual focus I have no issues. I did do a camera factory reset, the button between the USB and video connectors.

I really don't want to send the lens off for repair and have it be something simple or a camera setting. Curious if those "BB" looking sensors on the lens could need cleaning.

Thanks for any suggestions.

PhotoLeon1935
Senior MemberPosts: 2,305
Like?
Re: Nikon 18-55mm VR Auto Focus Won't Work at 18mm
In reply to rasbobre, Feb 25, 2010

You don't give us much to go on. Focus failures are caused by insufficient light, low contrast, dirty lens. What camera? AF-S focus mode? Are the good pictures 100% OK?

As a focus nut, I don't even recommend to use auto focus at 18 mm except for brightly lit outdoor scenes.

Tell us more. Show is a picture that worked and then didn't.

You might have a smudge on the lens. Try to look through the lens.

rasbobre wrote:

I have had a problem with my Nikon 18-55mm VR lens that has had be baffled for weeks. Every time I take a photo a photo all the way wide at 18mm I MAY get 3-6 shots off and then, bam camera won't fire. If I zoom in to say 30-40mm the camera starts firing again with no issues.

Anybody ever see this? If I switch both the lens and the camera to manual focus I have no issues. I did do a camera factory reset, the button between the USB and video connectors.

I really don't want to send the lens off for repair and have it be something simple or a camera setting. Curious if those "BB" looking sensors on the lens could need cleaning.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rasbobre
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: Nikon 18-55mm VR Auto Focus Won't Work at 18mm
In reply to PhotoLeon1935, Feb 25, 2010

Thank you for your reply Leon and sorry about my lame attempt in describing my issue.

I am using a D80 camera. AF-S is on, the issue is happening in bright light (outdoor snow) and I just removed my UV filter (which did have a smudge on it).

The issue persists. The images are fine that fire, but naturally there are no images to share that "didn't work".

I really feel that it may be a camera setting. My 55-200 and 70-300 have no issues.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads