Doing nothing, how long does the battery last?

Started Feb 21, 2010 | Discussions
Optimus Prime Lens
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Doing nothing, how long does the battery last?
Feb 21, 2010

I have the D90 with the Nikon grip and 2 Nikon batteries. I thought they maybe going flat a 'bit' quick. I charged them both then put them both in the grip. I turned the camera back on about one and a half - two days later and the right one had gone down 6% and the left 4%. Now that seemed quick to me, but I have no experience of DSLRs such as this. Can someone please let me know if it sounds like a 'problem' or not. Obviously they have both gone down more since.

Supr X
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,956
Like?
Re: Doing nothing, how long does the battery last?
In reply to Optimus Prime Lens, Feb 21, 2010

Optimus Prime Lens wrote:

I have the D90 with the Nikon grip and 2 Nikon batteries. I thought they maybe going flat a 'bit' quick. I charged them both then put them both in the grip. I turned the camera back on about one and a half - two days later and the right one had gone down 6% and the left 4%. Now that seemed quick to me, but I have no experience of DSLRs such as this. Can someone please let me know if it sounds like a 'problem' or not. Obviously they have both gone down more since.

-How many times has each battery been charged and 75% discharged? They will not perform 'optimally' until run through a charge and discharge cycle several(3 or 4) times . . .

Then they will last months with the D90 'on' and in it's auto-standby mode . . .
--
David~
WSSA Member #90

. . . shoot like there's no film in the thing!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Optimus Prime Lens
Like?
In reply to Supr X, Feb 21, 2010

Ahh, I hope that's it. Not done enough 'cycles' certainly. One did discharge completely (did so while camera off), will that have any 'adverse' effect?

Supr X
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,956
Like?
In reply to Optimus Prime Lens, Feb 21, 2010

Optimus Prime Lens wrote:

Ahh, I hope that's it. Not done enough 'cycles' certainly. One did discharge completely (did so while camera off), will that have any 'adverse' effect?

Probably not, when the battery is still so new, but as a general rule it is not good to allow lithium batteries to completely discharge. Think it is recommended to let them drop to nearly discharged(about 10-15%), but recharge somewhere short of a complete discharge. They do need to cycle a few times as a 'break-in', but then it is a good idea to use them until fairly discharged, but not completely. The D90 will stop doing things before it's battery is totally discharged.
--
David~
WSSA Member #90

. . . shoot like there's no film in the thing!

rbull44
Senior MemberPosts: 2,536
Like?
In reply to Supr X, Feb 22, 2010

I think that you are giving some good advice. I spoke with a Nikon rep and they told me to completely discharge the battery several times. That really didn't work that well.
--
Bob

Optimus Prime Lens
Like?
In reply to rbull44, Feb 22, 2010

Thanks Supr X for your advice. I'd also been given differeing advice by 'experts', it gets confuseing. I also saw a similar thread where you gave similar advice, and Eno posted a link to a helpfull web site on this matter. Very kind. Thanks again!

capanikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,847Gear list
Like?
In reply to Optimus Prime Lens, Feb 22, 2010

Every battery discharges like that. It's unavoidable. Don't worry about it. I am into radio-controlled electric model airplanes that use lithium and nimh batteries and they discharge slowly if not used, also. Absolutely normal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-discharge

capanikon's gear list:capanikon's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads