D700 beginning to be discontinued?

Started Feb 19, 2010 | Discussions
stanginit
Senior MemberPosts: 1,714
Like?
D700 beginning to be discontinued?
Feb 19, 2010

Hi everyone. i currently shoot with a D300. Love it. I use a D90 as a backup. Anyway my assignments are getting a liitle bit demanding requiring some indoor shooting with movement. I use strobes but would like to work quicker with the need for setting up less strobes and using more available light. . I was at Cameta camera today and picked up a nikon 35mmDX l1.8 lens for the d300. Nice lens from initial testing. I was considering the D700 as soon as $$ become available. I struck up a conversation with Micheal the salesman and he told me that Nikon was no longer shipping them the D700. They are authorized. He said he had a few in stock but the price has not dropped.
So what do you think nikons next move is?

thanks Rich

domphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?
Re: D700 beginning to be discontinued?
In reply to stanginit, Feb 19, 2010

nikon's next move it sell you more gear.......what else do you think they will do?

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stanginit
Like?
In reply to domphoto, Feb 19, 2010

domphoto wrote:

nikon's next move it sell you more gear.......what else do you think they will do?

-- hide signature --

I don't know , maybe join the "pixel generation".lol

I think I will jump on the D700 when the price drops, if and when it does.

Joseph Bradley
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?

Rich,

I too am ready to buy a D700, and was just looking here to see if Nikon was planning a D700s or whatever, when your msg caught my eye.

All the San Francisco Bay Area stores I've called say they do not stock any Nikon DSLR pricier than the D300. They don't carry the D700 or the D3s because of this. I assume the down turn in the economy is the reason.
--
-Joe

eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?

stanginit wrote:

My original thought was that D700 prices would drop due to "impending" announcements. Then I realized the very thing your salesman's discussion seems to suggest: D700 inventories will drop, and given the camera's quality, reputation and popularity, its price will remain about where it is now until you can only get used ones on eBay. That's why I decided to jump on a bing.com deal before it was too late. Three weeks later, and I already have some keepers from the D700. How much are those worth? To me, more than the money I might have saved, maybe, perhaps, potentially, and possibly, if I had waited for a price drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's easy to argue about equipment and technique, but hard to argue with a good photograph -- and more difficult to capture one .

Gallery and blog: http://esfotoclix.com
Special selections: http://esfotoclix.com/store
Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22061657@N03

Joseph Bradley
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?
In reply to Joseph Bradley, Feb 19, 2010

forgot to mention...they all said they would be happy to special order the D3s or D700 for me.
--
-Joe

A Kaus
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?

I heard a similar comment at a major retailer that they used to carry D700 but no longer stock it but it can be ordered.

-- hide signature --

AK

dtothesquared
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to eNo, Feb 19, 2010

eNo wrote:

stanginit wrote:

My original thought was that D700 prices would drop due to "impending" announcements. Then I realized the very thing your salesman's discussion seems to suggest: D700 inventories will drop, and given the camera's quality, reputation and popularity, its price will remain about where it is now until you can only get used ones on eBay. That's why I decided to jump on a bing.com deal before it was too late. Three weeks later, and I already have some keepers from the D700. How much are those worth? To me, more than the money I might have saved, maybe, perhaps, potentially, and possibly, if I had waited for a price drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which bing/ebay deal did you do? I just jumped on it today through beach camera's ebay store. $2399 upfront with bc of about $192

stanginit
Like?

thanks guys for your valued opinions. I may just sell the D90 and jump on the D700. I have some glass left from my F5 days. But iI've seen some issues at certain apertures with the older glass and thenew sensors. but that's a topic for another discussion.

btw I've had pretty decent results with the d300 at 1600 asa,. but from what I've seen of the D700, that sucker rocks.

Appreciate it

Rich

A Kaus
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to dtothesquared, Feb 19, 2010

I have always bought from Amazon. Great return policy in case something is not right.

On my last d200 purchase in saw a few really bad hot pixels and went on line and filed for return. My replacement arrived before I had even boxed the return item.

-- hide signature --

AK

Lighthog
Contributing MemberPosts: 572
Like?
Leswick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,102
Like?
In reply to Lighthog, Feb 19, 2010

Been hearing about upcoming D700(?) since last Sept/Oct. Do I need to say more ? Gees, even if they announce something, it will still take months before it's on the market.

Leswick

Evil Bill
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
JC1306
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139
Like?
In reply to Leswick, Feb 19, 2010

Leswick wrote:

Gees, even if they announce something, it will still take months before it's on the market.

My reasoning exactly. When I had the opportunity to buy a used but as-new D700, I didn't hesitate. Since then I have saved up some money for photographic gear which I'm going to spend on a 500mm. If and when the D700s/D900 arrives, I'll have saved up some money again. And like you say, it won't be available immediately. It'll be even longer until it's available for a reasonable price and there might also be some first batch problems that need to be solved. So until then my D700 with some good glass on it will still be capable of producing nice pics, whether the photographer behind it is just as capable is debatable...

Jarno
--

˙ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ ƃuıʎɹʇ pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ʇןıʇ noʎ uǝɥʍ ʎuunɟ sʞooן ʇı

baggy1
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
In reply to stanginit, Feb 22, 2010

I went into a Dixons Tax Free store today at Heathrow Airport to get a price on a d700 and the salesman said it has been discontinued,they have none in stock and a new camera will be coming in mid April

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
In reply to baggy1, Feb 22, 2010

baggy1 wrote:

I went into a Dixons Tax Free store today at Heathrow Airport to get a price on a d700 and the salesman said it has been discontinued,they have none in stock and a new camera will be coming in mid April

Thanks for the information. This explains why Nikon have allegedly arranged a press event for tomorrow, which would be their second one in 2 days time.

Lord of the Badgers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,723
Like?
In reply to baggy1, Feb 22, 2010

i dunno guys, a quick search of my usual UK stores online inventory doesn't give this picture at all.

sounds to me like typical wishful thinking right now tbh, lovely to be wrong and all that, but nothing I've seen corroborates the assumption of the camera being discontinued beyond the anecdotal in this thread. Certainly a Duty Free shop isn't going to be a nikon insider.

Lord of the Badgers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,723
Like?
In reply to reginalddwight, Feb 22, 2010

what, this press release?

http://nikonrumors.com/2010/02/21/nikons-press-release-nothing-new.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NikonRumors+%28NikonRumors.com%29

seriously, all wishful thinking - everytime a DSLR release has happened, we've heard SOMETHING by now, eg a leaked brochure or just a tide of near as damn it specs. But we've had nothing of the usual leakage.

But, again, it would be lovely to be wrong

reginalddwight wrote:

baggy1 wrote:

Thanks for the information. This explains why Nikon have allegedly arranged a press event for tomorrow, which would be their second one in 2 days time.

pigpig
Regular MemberPosts: 340
Like?
discontinued in Hong Kong..
In reply to stanginit, Feb 22, 2010

It is discontinued in Hong Kong.

stinkin
Regular MemberPosts: 325Gear list
Like?
In reply to baggy1, Feb 23, 2010

I copied this from a post here on 12/5/09...WTF? sound familiar.

I just walked in to a Dixons at Gatwick airport hoping to by a D700 but was told by the salesman that he had no stock. When he checked the computer for availability he promptly informed me that the d700 is no longer available
and is discontinued.
His system reported no stock in any stores and a
sell price of £0.97 which is some kind of indicator that it is discontinued.
He could not say when a replacement would be announced.

stinkin's gear list:stinkin's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D70s Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads