Can't drag image to new location in a folder-rearrange images.

Started Feb 18, 2010 | Discussions
aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,476Gear list
Like?
Can't drag image to new location in a folder-rearrange images.
Feb 18, 2010

When I open a folder containing images....jpegs(in "My Photos"),I can't drag individual images to a new location WITHIN the same folder.I'm sure this is an easy fix,but I can't find it.Always have been able to relocate images before.Anyone know?I just want to rearrange the order of the images inside a folder.....not move them out of that folder.
Thanks! Diane

Califlefty
Regular MemberPosts: 494
Like?
Re: Can't drag image to new location in a folder.
In reply to aVolanche, Feb 18, 2010

Go to "my computer" open up the destination folder in a separate window - now drag.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,599
Like?

aVolanche wrote:

When I open a folder containing images....jpegs(in My Photos),I can't drag individual images to a new location WITHIN the folder.I'm sure this is an easy fix,but I can't find it.Always have been able to relocate images before.Anyone know?
Thanks! Diane

If your folder is set to be arranged by name (or any other parameter) I would guess that it would either not let you move them to a new location in a folder, or they would just snap back to the original location after you do.

If you're worried about this (and I cant imagine personally why you would care) you can use more unique naming so that certain files are always first on the list (rename file.doc to AAfile.doc), you can create subfolders and actually organize some things, or you can manage your pictures using another program.

aVolanche
Like?
In reply to dradam, Feb 18, 2010

Not sure I made this clear.Say I have some images in a folder in this order: #10001,10002,10003,10004,10005,10006,10007,etc....And I want to place image #10001 between #10005 and #10006.So the image order would be #10005,#10001,#10006.Then, when I use the viewer,the images come up in that sequence.

The only remedy I can find so far is to rename them,which is absurd.XP always allowed this rearrangement by simply dragging an image between any other 2 images and dropping it there.But in Win 7,I can't do it.

Brad99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,984
Like?

That's Windows 7. It's extremely dumb in comparison to all earlier Windows as far as arranging and remembering of windows or folders is concerned. It's by design evidently!

It's a 'bug' that's part of the same problem discussed at length in this thread

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/5b524d53-df97-405d-835f-f081d106a19b

A small program ShellFolderFix can sort out the problem in remembering window positions, but not your problem.

aVolanche
Like?
In reply to Brad99, Feb 18, 2010

Brad99 wrote:

That's Windows 7. It's extremely dumb in comparison to all earlier Windows as far as arranging and remembering of windows or folders is concerned. It's by design evidently!

Wow!That is nonsense.Make us accept alphabetical order.....or by time taken,etc.This really messes with my ability to compare 2 photos in the "viewer".It's a serious blow to photo editing.

Once again,it seems that the "designers" don't use the product.

DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,743
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Feb 19, 2010

Before you knock Windws 7, you can sort your files within any given folder.

View as Details and click on the tab of the criteria you'd like to sort. Each folder is higly customizeable. You just haven't encountered that yet.
--
Dez

http://photos.dezmix.com

aVolanche
Like?
In reply to DezM, Feb 19, 2010

DezM wrote:

Before you knock Windws 7, you can sort your files within any given folder.

View as Details and click on the tab of the criteria you'd like to sort. Each folder is higly customizeable. You just haven't encountered that yet.
--
Dez

http://photos.dezmix.com

The ONLY criteria I want is to be able to move an individual image within a folder to a different spot in that folder.And there is no way to do that.I did it in XP.
Diane

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads