Powershot G2 & Windows 7

Started Feb 11, 2010 | Discussions
T. Ergott
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Powershot G2 & Windows 7
Feb 11, 2010

I have a Canon Powershot G2 camera. I just got a new computer with Windows 7. I got the software loaded, but the camera will not load. I keep getting a message there is no driver.

I also can't open any photos in ZoomBrowser EX, that I have taken before, that are saved in the hard drive & were not converted to jpeg format. I still have several "Galleries", with hundreds of photos, saved in hard drive on my old computer that have yet to be converted to jpeg format. My old computer is Windows XP, 10 years old now & barely running.

I can import from the camera card via a card reader in new computer.

Does anyone have any fix for this or am I stuck buying a new camera?

I need help ....PLEASE :).

Thanks

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,597
Like?
do you have photoshop elements or Lightroom?
In reply to T. Ergott, Feb 11, 2010

It doesn't seem like you need your Canon software to load if it's only for your to download the memory card from your camera while it's plugged in with a USB cable.

You said you have a card reader, so use that. And is a camera as old as the G2 included in ACR that could be used with photoshop elements or Lightroom?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark H
Senior MemberPosts: 2,813
Like?
Also, maybe try Adobe DNG converter?
In reply to RedFox88, Feb 12, 2010

....also, might it be possible to using Adobe's 'DNG converter' to convert the G2's RAW files to DNG - then the DNGs would open in almost any of Adobe' programs, and others image editors too?

John Szeto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,661
Like?
Re: Powershot G2 & Windows 7
In reply to T. Ergott, Feb 12, 2010

Try this free raw converter for G2. It might just work with Win 7?
http://www.graphicregion.com/ablerawer.htm

Mark H
Senior MemberPosts: 2,813
Like?
..also, maybe 'FastStone Image Viewer' (free)
In reply to Mark H, Feb 14, 2010

FastStone Image Viewer is a free program.

It's quite a well featured program for 'viewing' and 'converting' and 'adjusting' etc.

I believe it will run under Windows 7, and it will load and process 'CRW' and 'CR2' RAW files, although I'm not sure how it handles some of the more recent camera specific characteristics (e.g. S90 lens distortion correction).

The program has a 'Batch Convert' function - not sure whether this would meet your needs, but there's nothing to lose in trying it out.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

OnTheWeb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063Gear list
Like?
Re: Powershot G2 & Windows 7
In reply to T. Ergott, Feb 19, 2010

If you have a powerful computer and Win7 Pro or Win7 Ultimate(as in fast quad core, i7 type PC) you could install the Virtual XP software. That will allow you to use your 10 year old software and hardware.

Not the fastest solution, but it will likely work. Had a similar problem with very old Canon scanner that would not run on win7 and had no drivers, but works fine in Virtual XP running on win7.

OnTheWeb's gear list:OnTheWeb's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads