Information not showing on viewfinder screen 1Ds2. ? diagnosis

Started Jan 30, 2010 | Discussions
old age adventurers
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?
Information not showing on viewfinder screen 1Ds2. ? diagnosis
Jan 30, 2010

Just yesterday received my 1Ds2 from camera service after shutter needed replacement. That now working fine but new worrying problem has occurred during service.

Viewfinder screen shows autofocus points perfectly, and on right side the exposure levels shown perfectly. Problem is in bottom part of screen no information e.g. exposure & shutter speed. I have tried turning off camera, removing battery, changing modes, & reset of personal functions to no avail. The viewfinder was working perfectly before above service.

Its weekend and I leave for photographic safari to Tanzania in 7 days. So would appreciate opinions on what the cause of this selective screen information loss is, and any ideas on how major a job it is to repair.

I am very surprised quality control checks by service department post shutter repair didnt pick it up. I wonder if it occurred. Next time i wont leave with out testing even if all neatly wrapped up!!!!!

TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,114Gear list
Like?
Re: Information not showing on viewfinder screen 1Ds2. ? diagnosis
In reply to old age adventurers, Jan 30, 2010

I have no idea what might be wrong, but it almost sounds like they forgot to plug something back in.

You probably have a case for asking them to send you an electronic pre-paid overnight shipping label so they can ensure that you can get it to them and they can repair it and get it back to you before you leave for your trip.

Once when I had a repair done and it was not done correctly, I called them and requested this same thing. They did not immediately oblige, but after I explained that I had a job to do the following week and I had timed the repair in-between jobs, I was able to get a supervisor on the phone who had the authority to make this happen. The first level technicians you talk to on the phone do not normally have the authority to send you anything more than a 'ground' shipping label.

Good luck. It's very disappointing when you get a camera back that is not repaired properly.
--
Gallery at: http://www.pbase.com/tim32225
Photoblog at: http://timrucciphotography.blogspot.com/

TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
old age adventurers
Like?
In reply to TimR32225, Jan 30, 2010

Thanks Tim. Hope its your plugin diagnostic suggestion. Its not that far away from my home its just there is so much other preparation for the 4x4 that i didnt need this hitch

Pastynator
Contributing MemberPosts: 905
Like?
In reply to old age adventurers, Jan 30, 2010

If they can't get it done in time, i'd personally ask them for a free loaner for your trip, as it appears they're responsible for the fault.
Worth a try anyway!

HowardBerger wrote:

Thanks Tim. Hope its your plugin diagnostic suggestion. Its not that far away from my home its just there is so much other preparation for the 4x4 that i didnt need this hitch

old age adventurers
Like?
In reply to Pastynator, Jan 31, 2010

I went in on Saturday to Cameratek in JHB. Its the offical canon repair agency.m They as usual were friendly. they accepted resposibility and they think the viewfinder's LCD screen for the information was shorted during the shutter replacement. They agreed should have been seen on control. They are repairing it without cost and should be ready Tuesday. Their approach is the reason I have used them for a number of years when I am in SA.

Errors happen, & whats important is how you prevent it occurring a second time. They will look into their quality control check list and I have learnt to take lens + battery with to check camera's functions before I leave agent's premises!!!! It wastes a lot of time going back & forth.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads