70-300...SIGMA or TAMRON?

Started Jan 20, 2010 | Discussions
Kissandtell
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
70-300...SIGMA or TAMRON?
Jan 20, 2010

Hi everybody, I'm considering the purchase of a 70-300 cheap (f. 4-5.6) lens for my K20, and I'm not sure which one to choose between the tamron and the sigma APO version. What do you think about? What about the resolution? Any direct experience?

thanks in advance

JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-300...SIGMA or TAMRON?
In reply to Kissandtell, Jan 20, 2010

You might want to do a search here and on the "other" forum as this question has been discussed a lot. Pretty much the overall conclusion is that the Tamron is sharper but purple fringing is relatively severe. Tamron probably has slightly better quality control, so you might find a Sigma that is nearly as sharp as the Tamron - or one that is considerably softer.

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-30 Pentax K-01 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pacerr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,577
Like?
In reply to JNR, Jan 20, 2010

I would rate the Tamron 75-300 LD on a par with the 70-300 Di for all practical purposes - and often found at half the price used. Some comparisons and comments below: (remove the double-^^)

http://www.pentax ^^forums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/60448-tamron-75-300-vs-supertakumar-300-4-part-1-a.html

H2

gaddigad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,660Gear list
Like?

Kissandtell wrote:

Hi everybody, I'm considering the purchase of a 70-300 cheap (f. 4-5.6) lens for my K20, and I'm not sure which one to choose between the tamron and the sigma APO version. What do you think about? What about the resolution? Any direct experience?

thanks in advance

I bought the old large non-dg non-apo one after getting the k100ds and it's very sharp at 70 and slightly soft beyond 200. I like the lens and it's fun to use and usually delivers the goods. No CA. I hope this helps somewhat.

Here are some samples. Bear in mind the 3 last ones are at medium to high Isos.

70mm:

at 133mm:

at 150:

at 300mm:

-- hide signature --

broken glass is really sharp
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gs-photos

emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,402Gear list
Like?

Kissandtell wrote:

The first five shots (taken on Sydney Harbour) on my Smugmug page here:- http://www.veritasmea.com/Sydney-Metro/Sydney-Metro/6007693_vrKJP#726970240_AJuVp were taken with the Tamron 70-300 Di a few weeks ago on my K20D. Have a look at them at the XLarge size. I'm more than happy with the lens, but it does give better results in good, bright light. I also bought the Tamron 70-200 2.8 for faster action shots such as sport (football).
--
Mike M. (emem)
http://www.veritasmea.com

b0bg
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?

I have the Tamron, and I like the photo quality, but the lens itself has developed a problem with the focus limiter for the 'macro' switch. The camera motor drives past the limiter when the macro switch would normally prevent it. (You can hear it click as it goes by.) This makes a focus hunt across the range take a really long time. =[

Not to worry though, I think I'll be switching to the Sigma 100-300/4 soon which is a different class altogether.

-- hide signature --

-b0bg

kyjy
Contributing MemberPosts: 948
Like?
In reply to gaddigad, Jan 20, 2010

My experience with the DG APO model mirrors this. It's good, very good even on the short end. In the 200-300 range it's less stellar, but not at all bad - nothing that a touch of sharpening cannot fix. Over the weekend I put it on a tripod and did some comparison shots with it and an older 28-300 I have, trying to decide which one to sell. I was surprised how good it is, especially at the long end where I used to think it was pretty soft (I guess my hand-holding ability is even worse than I thought). For the money, it's a pretty decent buy.

One odd thing I noticed, is that it seemed longer at comparative focal lengths than any other lens I have in the same range. I don't know if this was a side effect of the focus distance (I had to fit this into my living room) but the difference was substantial. I want to do another round of tests over the weekend if it's not raining, and see how it compares over further distances.

On another note, I've heard very good things of the new 70-300 OS (it's available in Pentax mount, OS and all from what I understand). Colours/contrast seems nice.

Maxwell Smart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,947
Like?
In reply to emem, Jan 21, 2010

emem wrote:

The first five shots (taken on Sydney Harbour) on my Smugmug page here:- http://www.veritasmea.com/Sydney-Metro/Sydney-Metro/6007693_vrKJP#726970240_AJuVp were taken with the Tamron 70-300 Di a few weeks ago on my K20D. Have a look at them at the XLarge size. I'm more than happy with the lens, but it does give better results in good, bright light. I also bought the Tamron 70-200 2.8 for faster action shots such as sport (football).

Just excellent, Mike. Very impressive for such an inexpensive lens. I've seen horrible PF in similar water shots with this lens but your shots look amazing. I just bought a DA55-300 thinking that, even though it cost twice as much, it would make life easier but the jury is still out on that.

Regarding the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, you've seen this, right? Treat it gently.
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2009.11.01/lens-repair-data-35

-- hide signature --

Group Captain Mandrake: 'I was tortured by the Japanese, Jack, if you must know; not a pretty story....Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.' ( Dr. Strangelove , 1964)

Maxwell Smart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,947
Like?
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS ?
In reply to kyjy, Jan 21, 2010

kyjy wrote:

I've heard very good things of the new 70-300 OS (it's available in Pentax mount, OS and all from what I understand). Colours/contrast seems nice.

Hmmm...I wasn't aware of this new lens.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3363&navigator=3

" For Sony and Pentax mount, the built-in OS function of this lens can be used even if the camera body is equipped with an anti-shake function."

Can't seem to find any reviews either. Just as well since I only recently bought a DA55-300.

-- hide signature --

General 'Buck' Turgidson: 'Well, I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in.' ( Dr. Strangelove , 1964)

xmeda
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kissandtell, Jan 21, 2010

forget both and get DA55-300

those cheap 70-300 lenses are good for K100@6Mpix.. not for K20/K7

-- hide signature --

xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Casio QV-R40 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +17 more
kyjy
Contributing MemberPosts: 948
Like?
Re: Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS ?
In reply to Maxwell Smart, Jan 23, 2010

The only review I've seen so far is this: http://www.photoreview.com.au/Sigma/reviews/cameraaccessories/sigma-70300mm-f456-dg-os-lens.aspx

I don't know the site, so I can't gauge it against how critical they usually are. Seems favourable though.

PIngp0NGMW
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?
In reply to xmeda, Jan 23, 2010

I second the advice to skip the Sigma and Tamron. My 70-300 Sigma APO DG was fine on my K100DS but really started lacking on my K20D. Sold it for a Pentax 55-300. Definitely worth the extra money for this lens.

PIngp0NGMW's gear list:PIngp0NGMW's gear list
Pentax K-01 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +5 more
Jon Schick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,395Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kissandtell, Jan 23, 2010

Buy the Pentax 55-300, especially if you want decent quality at the longer end but want to avoid the purple fringing habit of the Tamron. The Pentax is the best compromise of the three.
--
http://jonschick.smugmug.com/

Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +6 more
amicah22
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228Gear list
Like?
Tamron
In reply to Jon Schick, Jan 24, 2010

Great for the money just avoid backlighting situations (hawk against sky for example)
tamron and k10d:

-- hide signature --

Aaron W.

amicah22's gear list:amicah22's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Pentax Optio S5i +19 more
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,402Gear list
Like?
In reply to xmeda, Jan 24, 2010

xmeda wrote:

Nonsense and poppycock

again - you're talking nonsense.

Have a look at my post above - the five shots I mentioned were taklen with the K20D and Tamron 70-300 Di. I've printed 3 of them at A4 and the detail, colour and crispness is hard to fault- I doubt very much the pentax 55-300 could have done any better - and at what cost? 2 or 3 times the price?

-- hide signature --
MusicDoctorDJ
Forum ProPosts: 12,400
Like?
In reply to Kissandtell, Jan 24, 2010

If you go with the Tamron, spend the extra $30 and get the 70-300 Di LD . . . much better lens overall!

For a $200 lens . . . it can't be beat!

I have the Tamron 70-300 Di LD and have tried both the Tamron standard Di and the Sigma 70-300 non-APO (ie.- I sell cameras at a real camera store so get to use this stuff every day), and chose what I thought was the best of the bunch!

I also have both the K10D and the *ist DS, and at first didn't really like the results of the Di LD on the K10D, but was mystified as it performs flawlessly on my *ist DS!

However, I had my K10D in the repair shop a couple of months back and after having the viewfinder repaired and the AF adjusted, it now seems to give me much sharper images.

The biggest drawback to the Tamron is the purple fringing issue . . . really bad in high contrast or backlit shots.

Here is a good example of the purple fringing (from K10D before I had it fixed):

• More from the Tamron 70-300 Di LD:

-- hide signature --

J. D.
Colorado

reygon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kissandtell, Jan 24, 2010

I have the old Sigma APO. Try them both and see which one suits you.

-- hide signature --

reygon
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/reygonz/
----------------------------------------------------------------

Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,013Gear list
Like?
In reply to emem, Jan 24, 2010

i have read the 55-300 has greater resolution in the 200-300mm range. never used a 55-300, though.

the tamron does purple fringe. i got it because i thought the "macro" would be fun and it is a nice lens below 200. (edit: i mean below 200mm, but below 200 dollars fits, too)

my standard comment on resolution for the tamron. from 11 feet at 70mm with a... k20, i could see a hair in my nose. (edit: so, the lens does work well enough on a k20) no, i will not post the picture.

emem wrote:

xmeda wrote:

Nonsense and poppycock

again - you're talking nonsense.

Have a look at my post above - the five shots I mentioned were taklen with the K20D and Tamron 70-300 Di. I've printed 3 of them at A4 and the detail, colour and crispness is hard to fault- I doubt very much the pentax 55-300 could have done any better - and at what cost? 2 or 3 times the price?

-- hide signature --
Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,013Gear list
Like?
In reply to gaddigad, Jan 24, 2010

gaddigad wrote:

Here are some samples. Bear in mind the 3 last ones are at medium to high Isos.

umm, is he helping the bird ?

the person in the lower right hand corner has a very intent look. is she planning to help the man to stop helping the bird ?

70mm:

bobore
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
In reply to reygon, Jan 24, 2010

I have owned both Sigma versions, but prefer the Tamron for it's overall handling & performance. Currently have the first version of Tamron's 70-300 (made in Japan w/58mm filter threads), as well as their 75-300 & the new (digital-tweaked) 70-300 (assembled in China w/62mm). All are very consistent performers. And here's one more: the 100-300mm Tamron (made in Japan w/55mm) - it's slower at the tele end (f6.3), but quite sharp & can often be found used for around $50. If cost is a primary concern, you can't go wrong with any of these.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads