Best setting for night landscape shots on 500D

Started Jan 19, 2010 | Discussions
REBB
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Best setting for night landscape shots on 500D
Jan 19, 2010

Hello,

I was leaning toward the Nikon D5000 because it had a scene setting for night time landscapes and city scapes. However, I bought the D500 with the kit lenses.

Since there is no scene night landscape setting in the Canon, what is the best setting to take night shots? thank you

comeon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,925
Like?
Re: Best setting for night landscape shots on 500D
In reply to REBB, Jan 19, 2010

there is not one best setting .. it is a trial and error task.. there are a few things you need .. tripod ..or other stable base.. remote shutter release.... and the patience to learn .. you will want to shoot with base iso to keep the noise to a minimum .. small aperture to get as much in focus as possible ... depending on how dark your light then experiment with shutter speed untill you get what you like for a result

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,716Gear list
Like?

I came across this "photography lesson" when I did a Google search:

http://www.schoolofphotography.com/courses/free-night-photography-lesson.html
--
Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Ed P
Contributing MemberPosts: 531
Like?

As stated earlier, it is trial-and-error, since the amount of light in night shots can vary GREATLY.

And of course it all depends on how you WANT the shot to look.

This shot, for example, was taken with Canon EOS Rebel T1i with 18-55 IS lens at 35mm, f/4.5, 4 sec. shutter, ISO-800. It's actually "overexposed" (compared to reality, that is ). The shot makes it look like there's a very bright light in my neighbor's back yard, but it's actually quite dim:

WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,690Gear list
Like?

REBB wrote:

I was leaning toward the Nikon D5000 because it had a scene setting for night time landscapes and city scapes. However, I bought the D500 with the kit lenses.

Since there is no scene night landscape setting in the Canon, what is the best setting to take night shots?

Scene modes are great if the simplifying and limiting assumptions needed to formulating them match your requirements and you're willing to hand over some creative control to someone else.

Alternatively, if you learn how to use the only four things that really matter (ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and exposure compensation), you can have total creative control over every scene you can encounter or imagine. I'd bet that in the long run it's easier to master the fundamentals than it is to learn the appropriateness of each scene mode and how to overcome their limitations.

Lionel Johnson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, Jan 19, 2010

I have got what I think to be reasonable results by:
1. setting the camera to Av mode.

2. selecting f8 or f11 as this tends to be the sweet spot for most lenses and gives good DOF
3. mounting on tripod, so shutter time does not matter
4. low ISO
5. mirror lock up
6. cable release (or timer) to activate the shutter

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Lionel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lionel_johnson/

'It may be that your purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.'

Ed P
Like?
In reply to Lionel Johnson, Jan 19, 2010

Gorgeous pic!

zambie
Regular MemberPosts: 455Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed P, Jan 19, 2010

Hi Ed P,

nice night pic - I was wondering whether you tried taking the pic at ISO100 or 200 with a longer exposure time? I suppose the picture was taken with the camera on the tripod. Maybe if you could - take the pain and try and get a pic at ISO 100/200 of the same scene and post it?

Ed P wrote:

As stated earlier, it is trial-and-error, since the amount of light in night shots can vary GREATLY.

This shot, for example, was taken with Canon EOS Rebel T1i with 18-55 IS lens at 35mm, f/4.5, 4 sec. shutter, ISO-800. It's actually "overexposed" (compared to reality, that is ). The shot makes it look like there's a very bright light in my neighbor's back yard, but it's actually quite dim:

zambie's gear list:zambie's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
REBB
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
In reply to Lionel Johnson, Jan 19, 2010

Lionel, Your photo answered my question. Great shot!

Ed P
Like?
In reply to zambie, Jan 20, 2010

zambie wrote:
Hi Ed P,

nice night pic - I was wondering whether you tried taking the pic at ISO100 or 200 with a longer exposure time? I suppose the picture was taken with the camera on the tripod. Maybe if you could - take the pain and try and get a pic at ISO 100/200 of the same scene and post it?

Ed P wrote:

Here's pretty much the same shot, with my new 50mm f/1.8 II prime -- JPEG right from camera. Slightly blured, I think because of longer exposure (even though I had the camera resting on the dock railing, as before). I must have moved the camera VERY slightly when I took it; either that, or the f1.8 (shallow DoF) messed me up. As you can see, not much difference in noise between the previous shot (ISO-800, above) and the new one (ISO-100, below), unless you pixel-peep at the night sky. BTW, when I did some PP on the RAW, I was able to make the night sky totally black very easily (and retain the stars), and at that point, the noise difference was gone anyway. The Canon T1i (500D) handles noise incredibly, IMO.

Canon T1i (500D) with 50mm f1.8 II lens
f/1.8
6 sec.
ISO-100
50mm

Santiago Del Bono
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
Hey Olga, you always provide so great info!!!!
In reply to Olga Johnson, Jan 20, 2010
-- hide signature --

Santiago Del Bono, Argentina, Canon Rebel XS (1000D), Sony DSC-H2 - Canon SD770

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed P, Jan 20, 2010

Ed P wrote:

Here's pretty much the same shot, with my new 50mm f/1.8 II prime -- JPEG right from camera. Slightly blured, I think because of longer exposure (even though I had the camera resting on the dock railing, as before). I must have moved the camera VERY slightly when I took it; either that, or the f1.8 (shallow DoF) messed me up. As you can see, not much difference in noise between the previous shot (ISO-800, above) and the new one (ISO-100, below), unless you pixel-peep at the night sky. BTW, when I did some PP on the RAW, I was able to make the night sky totally black very easily (and retain the stars), and at that point, the noise difference was gone anyway. The Canon T1i (500D) handles noise incredibly, IMO.

Canon T1i (500D) with 50mm f1.8 II lens
f/1.8
6 sec.
ISO-100
50mm

It looks to me like the house on the left is more in focus than the one on the right so I think that the blur must have been caused by limited DOF. Were you shooting in green box mode? If so, it uses all focus points which results in focusing on the closest object under a focus point - which would be the house on the left, but only the left-most corner.

If you want to eliminate possible shake be sure to use 2 sec. timer.

Otherwise, a very good comparison! Thanks for sharing!
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Plan' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
MTip
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
In reply to Lionel Johnson, Jan 21, 2010

Very nice, so that is the 500D and which lens?

T.

Lionel Johnson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?
In reply to Lionel Johnson, Jan 22, 2010

Totally unrelated to the topic of this thread, but just heard that this building (Flinders Street Station, in Melbourne, Australia) is 100 years old today.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Lionel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lionel_johnson/

'It may be that your purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads