Leica M9 battery life...?

Started Dec 28, 2009 | Discussions
Norwin
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
Leica M9 battery life...?
Dec 28, 2009

New Friends,

Having just purchased and most recenty obtained the new M9, I have now twice been surprised by finding the battery 'dead'.

Having had several Canon's in the past (the most recent a 5D Mark II, which I am in the process of selling) - I've now three times re-energised my new Leica M9 battery to find that by the following day it is completly discharged and won't even turn the camera on...

As I wrote above, I am new to Leica and think perhaps the Leica battery is more sensitive when new than any Canon battery I have ever had...or, it is something more serious of which I am completely unfamiliar?

Please, my new friends - advise with the experience you've had with your new Leica camera batteries...

I know they discharge rapidly when new...however, this is beyond discharging rapidly. This is over night...dead.

....no, I did not leave the camera on.

In appreciation for the courtesy of your respected response,

I remain

Faithfully yours,

Norwin

David28
Senior MemberPosts: 2,699
Like?
Re: Leica M9 battery life...?
In reply to Norwin, Dec 28, 2009

Norwin

Doesn't sound right to me. I have had mine for a week and I "complain" that it runs down pretty quick but I am talking a few days per charge and heavy usage and reviewing on LCD. Did you fully charge it up first time before using - like it ask you to in the manual????

Still ...... I notice it does run down faster than the one with the M8.

Try getting a spare and see how that goes.

Good luck.

Not a disaster but annoying nonetheless

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Calvin Chann
Senior MemberPosts: 1,395Gear list
Like?

I noticed this too over the last weekend. On both the battery that came with the M9 and my M8 battery. Maybe I left it on, but it should have switched itself off, and maybe the M8 battery wasn't fully charged, but I'll have to investigate this a bit more.
--

I don't mean to offend, but if you are offended, then either I've overdone it, or, maybe you're too sensitive.

Calvin Chann's gear list:Calvin Chann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Leica Digilux 2 Canon PowerShot S90 Leica X1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 +66 more
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,302Gear list
Like?
I would say something is wrong

My M9 does not get near the same performance as the M8. I have alkso noticed that the battery in the M9 "seems" to discharge when not being used a little more than expected. If I put a fully charged battery in the M9 and do not use it for 4-5 days, it has lost power. The M8 will go for a couple of weeks and still be at 100%.

If you are watching a charged battery go dead overnight, that is not normal. I have even left my M9 in the on position, overnight, and did not do this.

Interesting
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
Pointcolville
Contributing MemberPosts: 572
Like?

The M9 apparently ships with the "auto-off" feature disabled - at least mine did, and several members of the Leica forum have found this to be so. When auto-off is enabled, battery life improves dramatically. I am getting roughly the same battery performance from the M9 that I did from the M8, and almost no drain when the camera is on the shelf.
--

Norwin
Like?
In reply to Pointcolville, Dec 28, 2009

Thank you.

I have the feeling that perhaps something may be a'miss with the new battery. Otherwise, I will continue to recharge and see if this problem continues.

When I ordered the M9, I also ordered a second stand-by battery. The M9 arrived, as did two of the three lens' also ordered, but no extra battery.

I await...

However, let me thank you again for the courtesy of your prompt responses...

Norwin

Calvin Chann
Like?

Just checked and the battery that I put in there on Saturday seems OK. I also changed the auto-off settings, which were as previously stated defaulted to off.
--

I don't mean to offend, but if you are offended, then either I've overdone it, or, maybe you're too sensitive.

Canon PowerShot G7 Leica Digilux 2 Canon PowerShot S90 Leica X1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 +66 more
Deb Kolcun
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Norwin, Jan 4, 2010

Norwin,

Having the same exact problem. Battery fully charged, discharged overnight when in the M9. Recharged the battery and same thing happened again. I made sure Auto-off was turned on and made sure that I turned the camera off. Very frustrating. Have ordered another battery as well to determine if that's the problem.

Are you still having your issue?

Thanks,
Deb

khaw
Regular MemberPosts: 399
Like?
Auto power off
In reply to Deb Kolcun, Jan 5, 2010

I find it necessary to switch "Auto power off" to Off before formatting a large SDHC card. Otherwise the M9 switches power off before completing the formatting. That has happened to my M9 a few times - but the card still works correctly after proper formatting. After formatting I just set the parameter back to 1 min.

Bo Lorentzen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785
Like?
In reply to Norwin, Jan 5, 2010

Norwin,

I had the same experience, but it was resolved when I realized my problem. naturally I do not know if this is what is happening to you, but it might be something similar.

Going to work in the morning I normally jam the M9 in a pocket on my backpack, at work I would pull it out and find it dead, at first I did not really think about it, just grabbed a fresh battery and got on with it... then I got bothered, wondering what was going on after a few times..

Well, in this case, when I switched from 8 to 9 the 50mm became more popular, and it fit tighter in the pocket.. a lot tighter... it turns out that I frequently managed to turn the power switch when stuffing the camera (its a very tight back not made for cameras) and sitting there the shutter would be depressed draining the battery.

Solution, check to make sure its turned off after stuffing it. have not had a dead battery since then.

Calvin Chann
Like?
Re: Auto power off
In reply to khaw, Jan 5, 2010

I really hope they address the formatting time in a future formware update.
--

rusch07
Contributing MemberPosts: 584
Like?

Norwin,

during the first weeks with M8/ M9 and three Leica batteries: no problem and in opposite good experience with "power" time.

regards

rusch07

David28
Senior MemberPosts: 2,699
Like?
Battery problems ?

My batteries seem to be fine .......... but my new charger that came with the M9 died after 3 charges. I have sent it back to the shop. Hope to get a replacement soon.

Has anyone had this problem? I am sure it is one of those 1 in a kerzillion chance of happening, no matter how tight QC is .

Oh well, could be worse - could be without an M9.

David
Melbourne

Norwin
Like?
In reply to Deb Kolcun, Jan 5, 2010

Yes, I am having the same problem...it appears to have only gotten worse. As the battery dies much too rapidly to be a camera problem. However, I am now becoming concerned that it may have either effected the camera or it is a combination camera and battery problem.

Tonight I am testing a good friends M9 battery...in my camera. And, he is testing my battery in his camera...in order to see which goes first. Or, if either goes at all.

Norwin

Norwin
Like?
Re: Battery problems ?
In reply to David28, Jan 6, 2010

Dear New Leica Friends,

I guess in every miracle photograph whch we snap a shutter upon - there is always something which we wish might not have appeared or could be simply removed or somehow fixed.

Thus, I honestly thought the problem of my new camera's rapidly discharging power I was having with my new M9 was due to the battery.

However, yesterday a friend allowed me to exchange his newly charged new M9 battery with my questionable M9 battery in order to determine whether it was, indeed, the battery or whether it was the camera itself that is the problem.

This morning to my dismay and sorrow, when turning the camera on - the display again signaled a low battery. Thus, since yesterday, less than 24 hours since installing the new battery and with the camera in 'off position' the battery was indicating that the battery again had discharged.

Indeed, I am 'gutted' this morning as since first receiving my M9, I have wanted to begin to use my new M9, but each time found when I wanted to take it for a photo session it was dead...or, unuseable and in need of charging, that I find I will now need return the camera to Leica for repair.

As David above wrote about his once in a ga'zillion battery cord requiring replacement. I probably have the one in a ga'zillion M9's which had to have some electrical failure which immediately discharges the battery...

...darn that hurts!

However, if it is only one in a ga'zillion, let's hope so!

With my respects to Leica...

I remain

Norwin

Dodi73
Senior MemberPosts: 1,394Gear list
Like?
In reply to Norwin, Jan 7, 2010

Hi guys
I tried to post your question over another forum..

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1228690#post1228690

let's see if they also experience the same issue.
--
All the best from northern Italy, Dino.
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

Dodi73's gear list:Dodi73's gear list
Nikon D600 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/18 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +4 more
Dodi73
Like?
In reply to Dodi73, Jan 7, 2010

Sorry
here's the right link:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84435
--

Nikon D600 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/18 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +4 more
Norwin
Like?
It wasn't the battery after all...
In reply to Dodi73, Jan 8, 2010

I don't believe the previous gentleman who posted to this thread read my last explanation about the battery.

It is NOT a battery problem. The problem appears to be a problem with the camera.

As we all know, Leica is the best camera in the world. And, it is lovingly manufactured with the most careful technicians on earth. However, there will always be that one off chance that even with the best technology, the best supervision, the most careful of controls in production - some thing can still go amiss. Or, be incorrectly wired. Or, some other technical issue occur.

Thus, what at first was believed to have been a battery problem - was not a battery problem.

Therefore, the issue I thought I had with what I thought was a battery problem ... should not have been posted onto another rangefind parish -

The subject new camera (and, working battery) is being lovingly returned to Leica and I am certain that once there it will receive Leica's immediate attention and that they will deal with whatever is the problem; and, that it shall be corrected in short order and returned to operate for the next one hundred years without any issue 'ever' reoccuring.

Norwin

Dodi73
Like?
Re: It wasn't the battery after all...
In reply to Norwin, Jan 8, 2010

Ciao Norwin

effectively I hadn't read your last post... sorry... however, if you can, try also with a third battery.. maybe you could have stumbled on a batch of defective ones...

-- hide signature --

Dodi73
Like?
Re: It wasn't the battery after all...
In reply to Dodi73, Jan 8, 2010

What about your friend's M9? Did it work? This was my doubt...
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads