Epson R1900 print head clogged

Started Dec 26, 2009 | Discussions
Patrick J.
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?
Epson R1900 print head clogged
Dec 26, 2009

Hi,

I was printing a picture yesterday, and noticed some banding in the sky. So I decided to do a head cleaning. I launched the "Auto head cleaning", which stopped telling me there was an error, and that I should try a manual cleaning.

The problem comes from the red, as shown here from the result of head cleaning:

I tried the manual cleaning, tried also to replace the red cartridge, launched auto head cleaning several times, but nothing happened, except that now all my cartridges are almost empty.

I am very upset, as this printer is less than 2 years old, and has not been intensively used. I wonder if there is another solution that I could try? Please help...

-- hide signature --

Patrick J.

See equipment in my profile

William Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,663
Like?
Re: Epson R1900 print head clogged
In reply to Patrick J., Dec 26, 2009

There are methods to clean printheads that are really tough. Use a cloth wet with a solution of ammonia and let the print heads set on them for some time and then try a test to see if the clog is gone. Try again for a longer period if the first time doesn't do it.
Will

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Patrick J.
Like?
In reply to William Carson, Dec 27, 2009

I am ready to test almost everything, as it seems to be my last chance to save my printer. But I wonder how you manage to get this wet cloth under the print head...

-- hide signature --

Patrick J.

WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,413
Like?
In reply to Patrick J., Dec 27, 2009

I had a Magenta problem for a couple of cycles, I do not know if it was the ink or not. I ran the head cleaning thee or four times of times & it has cleared up. I have since then run at least two sets of ink carts through it with no problems.

I dunno if your situation will be the same or not.
--
Warren

kenny547
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?

I have used Ammonia with great results. Order some Pec Pads. They are lint free pads that a great for this task. I usually soak them in a 1/2 water 1/2 ammonia solution, wad them up well so it presses on the print head. I park the print head on the pads. Let soak over night.

If this method doesn't work. Try ordering a cheap head cleaning kit off ebay. The syringe is the main thing you need. The tube on the syringe goes over the head. Then you can inject a cleaning solution through the print head. This may be the only option in the first method doesn't work.

If none of these work, get a new printer. The ink costs will eat you alive at this rate. Good luck to you. I hope my advice helps.

-ken

Patrick J.
Like?
In reply to kenny547, Dec 27, 2009

I will try your method. I have some sensor swabs, I will use the tissue from them.
What I wonder is how and where to park the head.

I guess you need to put the tissue on one of the places where ink is deposited during the cleaning. I have one place at the left, where the foam is loaded of ink, and one at the right (2 rectangles), under the head when the printer is not used. Which one should I use?

-- hide signature --

Patrick J.

kenny547
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?

Use the one on the right side. The area on the left is usually where ink is deposited after so many prints. I think it is there to prevent ink build up on the print head.

The one on the right is where all the cleaning cycles happen, use this pad. Any liquids on the pad will just soak to the bottom of the printer through a tube. You can also try using a warm water and ammonia mix. Ammonia is toxic, so don't try heating it up. Maybe heat up water then mix it with the ammonia. The warm water may better help dissolve the clog.

Yeah the sensor swabs are a great idea, they should work fine. I usually wad them up soak in ammonia and put them under the print head on the right side. This will apply a little pressure. They should be similar to pec pads.
Best of luck.

-ken

Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 11,866
Like?

Patrick J. wrote:

I am ready to test almost everything, as it seems to be my last chance to save my printer. But I wonder how you manage to get this wet cloth under the print head...

-- hide signature --

Patrick J.

Patrick, suggest you forget the idea of using a cloth. Take a sheet of paper towel, fold in half, press flat then using scissors cut the towel in half. Next, fold the 1/2 towel 2 times and press the folded edges to be flat.

Then, press your "Change Cartridge button and after the Print head moves OFF of the parking station, UNPLUG the printer from the power at the plug-in and now you can move the assembly back and forth as needed. Move the assembly to the far left of the printer, place the folded paper towel (from above) down in the area where the print assembly glides over when printing. Hold the towel (close to the print head assembly) and gently mover the assembly over the folded towel and be cautious to NOT "wad up" the folded towel as you move the assembly.

When you can see the folded towel (on your left) as you face the printer, use a straight object to hold the towel from slipping as you move the head further to the right until you have the Head approximately in the center of the towel. NOW, preferably using a small syringe and fill with Windex (NO need to mix with water) and release (from the syringe) onto the folded towel on both sides of the print assembly. Now, (again) hold the towel from moving and gently slide the head to right (or left) and dampen the towel with same Windex from syringe and now hold the other end of the towel and move the print head over the Ammonia area approximately in center of the towel. Let set several hours (perhaps over night).

Then, slide the print assembly over the wet towel (back and forth) to help wipe off the loosened ink build up that has softened and come loose.

Suggest you repeat this process the 2nd time except only need to let the head set for probably 30 minutes.

Then, Hold left end of the towel and slide the Print assembly back toward the Parking station then (using tweezers to pick up the wet "gunky" towel) remove and now plug the printer back to the power. You may want to do ONE cleaning cycle then print a Nozzle check.

Hope this is helpful for you -- even though it is long -- I can do all this in less time than it takes me to write this. I just finished doing this for one of my Epson Photo Printers.

My Regards -- Vernon...

Vernon D Rainwater
Like?

Patrick J. wrote:

Hi,

I was printing a picture yesterday, and noticed some banding in the sky. So I decided to do a head cleaning. I launched the "Auto head cleaning", which stopped telling me there was an error, and that I should try a manual cleaning.

The problem comes from the red, as shown here from the result of head cleaning:

I tried the manual cleaning, tried also to replace the red cartridge, launched auto head cleaning several times, but nothing happened, except that now all my cartridges are almost empty.

I am very upset, as this printer is less than 2 years old, and has not been intensively used. I wonder if there is another solution that I could try? Please help...

-- hide signature --

Patrick J.

Patrick, I have 4 Epson Photo printers-- 2200, C80, and two R800 and I have had no issues. The first 2 have been in use close to 7 years and one of the R800 close to 3 years.

I don't want to sound "Rude", however; if you don't plan to care for your printers (until you are ready to print weeks apart) you probably would be better off Mapping your Route to Walmart or some other printing service.
--
Vernon...

WalterL
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?
In reply to Patrick J., Dec 28, 2009

I've used these a couple of times in my R1800 and have had very good luck, when I ran out of the alcohol, I used windex.

http://www.inkrepublic.com/iRemove.asp

William Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,663
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Dec 28, 2009

Vern, much thanks for that more detailed procedure than I had heard of before. I also have found the need to clean the rollers at times with a paper towel or cloth wet with rubber roller cleaner when the paper feeds though without printing. Just holding the wet cloth against the roller as it spins around cleans it. Also the ink sometimes saturates the sponge that the heads rest on and I just hold a towell with windex to absorb the excess. Saves money rather than having to send it in. (R800)
Will

Patrick J.
Like?
I give up!
In reply to WalterL, Dec 29, 2009

After having spent hours trying to clean the print head, and having 10 empty cartridges on my desk, I decided to give up with that printer. At first, I was confident with the method explained here, as I was able to go from the first trial to 30% of red operational to about 70%. But after this first cleaning with ammonia, I was not able to get any better result. And since this morning, when I launch an Auto clean, there is also a problem with the yellow that the auto procedure is not able to solve...

So I decided to stop wasting my time and money with this printer, and ordered a Canon 9500 Mark II. At least with this one, the print head can be easily exchanged in case of problem.

It seems that I am among the rare people to have problems with the Epson R1900. Maybe I was not careful enough, and should have printed nozzle checks more often to detect problems... I will ensure that such things will not happen with the next printer...

-- hide signature --

Patrick J.

shmn
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?
Re: I give up!
In reply to Patrick J., Dec 30, 2009

Patrick J. wrote:

So I decided to stop wasting my time and money with this printer, and ordered a Canon 9500 Mark II.

Vote with your wallet. I'm also going to buy a Canon to see if I have more success.

It seems that I am among the rare people to have problems with the Epson R1900. Maybe I was not careful enough, and should have printed nozzle checks more often to detect problems... I will ensure that such things will not happen with the next printer...

You're not alone and I don't think you did anything wrong. These are finicky printers. Epsons have a long history of problematic clogs. I know there are those who say they have no problems...that's great and I wish that was the case for everyone.

shmn
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Dec 30, 2009

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

Patrick, I have 4 Epson Photo printers-- 2200, C80, and two R800 and I have had no issues.

I just finished doing this [cleaning procedure] for one of my Epson Photo Printers.

Well, which is it?

Dale Garman
Regular MemberPosts: 394Gear list
Like?

I actually had the same experience with an Epson R1800 which I had used for several years, but it kept clogging, and would be absolutely clean for a print and within a few minutes when printing another it would clog. I tried various cleaning methods which worked sometimes, but I finally gave up and also got the Canon 9500 MKII printer.

Dale Garman's gear list:Dale Garman's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more
Vernon D Rainwater
Like?
In reply to shmn, Dec 30, 2009

shmn wrote:

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

Patrick, I have 4 Epson Photo printers-- 2200, C80, and two R800 and I have had no issues.

I just finished doing this [cleaning procedure] for one of my Epson Photo Printers.

Well, which is it?

It was NOT for clogged issues, instead it is a part of my normal Maintenance for all my printers.

My cleaning was for the Epson 2200 as a normal (and routine) Maintenance that I do every 6 to 8 months depending on the amount of printing I have done during the period.

A clean and well maintained printer is like any other device or equipment Somewhat like having our Automobiles Oil and Oil Filter changed and all applicable areas greased properly. Also, less frequent they need to be polished and Waxed.
--
Vernon...

MBY24
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?
try cleaning solution

http://www.inkrepublic.com/iremove.asp

if this one doesnt work, I cant think of any better solution.

faither
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074
Like?
tagged
In reply to MBY24, Dec 30, 2009
-- hide signature --
Bruce Oudekerk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?

Heres my canned reply below on clogged heads...which you might not even want to read given the extrodiary lengths you've already gone through. I suspect you have a failed head or perhaps a faulty cart that partly passed through bad ink. Eather way continued cleaning is probably pointless. The fact that the R1900 is generally clog free doesn't do you any good.

But FWIW heres my two cents on clogs:

The issue of clogged heads is a well-discussed topic on these forums. I have moderate experience with Canon and a great deal of experience with Epsons and HPs. It seems to me that head clogging seems to fall into two categories. That is, those who experience it as no big deal and those who experience it as a major problem.

Those who experience it as a continuing problem tend to have habits or situations that contribute to this:

1. Irregular usage. The more often you use the printer the less likely the tendency to clog.

2. (some) After market inks tend to clog at a MUCH higher rate. I personally won’t use any aftermarket inks in a printer that doesn’t have a replaceable head. Your mileage may vary.

3. Some (unknown to me) environmental conditions seem to dry out the heads quickly

4. Using too many cleaning cycles in a row can load up the heads with ink. You are better off doing a few cleaning cycles and then waiting a while.

5. Ink carts have an expiration date.

6. Bad luck

7. But overwhelmingly the NUMBER ONE REASON is shutting the printer off improperly. All inkjet printers need to be turned off at the printer on/off button. Turning off at a power strip or unplugging the printer before it has gone through its seating and maintenance routine is a sure fire way to clog a printer.

8. A corollary to #7 is unstable or intermittent power. Not only can this cause a poor parking of the heads but it can ‘corrupt’ the on-board logic on the printer. This can only be fixed by turning the printer off and THEN unplugging it for a modest period of time to let any capacitance discharge.

Some models seem to never clog much less clog seriously. I used an Epson 1520 for many years and it never clogged a head even lightly. This was in a school environment where everything was done wrong. It was an amazing workhorse. On the extreme other hand our many model ESC 850 clogged all the time. My Epson R800 was almost clog free for 5 years and my R1900 seems to be ‘clog resistant’ also.

As far as fixing clogged heads, I can offer advice that many will consider suspect on the nature of repetitive clogging. It’s my take anyway and please proceed at your own risk.

I suspect that one of the reasons a basically healthy inkjet printer starts repeated clogging it is because the head and head parking seat have excessive dried ink buildup. Further head cleanings just exacerbate the problem as they add fresh ink to the “gook” that is already there. Sometimes that “gook” has the consistency of thickened and dried axel grease. The heads are parking in this mess and the seat is not sealing properly because of it. I had my R800 for 5 years with two major clogs and one minor clog; all caused by a power outage. The first and really bad clog was made worse by not shutting it down, then unplugging the printer and letting it do a clean startup. I know better. It required head/seat area cleaning. To do this I moved the head off the seat and flooded the seat area with plain ORIGINAL Windex. If you are not in the States check out it’s MSDS on the Web for ingredients and substitute carefully. I would NOT use other variants of Windex. I use a straw with finger on top as a pipette to dispense the Windex onto the seat or you can use a small syringe. Then I absorb the Windex/dissolved-ink using Q-Tips…LOTS of Q-Tips. It can make a remarkable mess so have a waste basket with liner handy and wear those thin latex gloves if you can. After the majority of ink is dissolved, flood the seat one last time and reseat the head allowing it to “steep” in the fresh Windex for hours or, better, over night.

Make sure you clean the wiper and surrounding area on BOTH ends of the head travel.

Flood again, reabsorb, and print any full page subject on plain paper just to move the head across the page and print until the excess mess is printed clean. (Off Topic: on the subject of plain paper, use quality inkjet paper NOT cheap copy paper as it generates paper dust which is an ink jet killer IMHO.)

Do a nozzle check and a conventional head clean if necessary. If for some reason a second head check proves clogged nozzles, flood the seat again and turn the printer off and let is sit as long as you can stand it. Repeat. Do not do repeated sequential head cleanings immediately as you are just making a problem. It is possible to skip the Windex flooding the second time and just let the head steep in the liquid ink from the head clean. But do let it sit.

I have done this many, many dozens of times on the old clogging prone ESC800’s and especially ESC850s and three times on my R800 (one of which was just for good measure:)

Bruce

shmn
Like?
In reply to Bruce Oudekerk, Dec 30, 2009

Bruce Oudekerk wrote:

Heres my canned reply below on clogged heads...

Very good post, Bruce.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads