Back To Older Digicam Fasination Chat (3MP or Less)

Started Dec 21, 2009 | Discussions
Barry Nelson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,666
Like?
Anyone heard of or owned an Olympus C-211
In reply to Barry Nelson, Jun 1, 2010

After doing some research, I came across an Olympus C-211 which is one part digital camera and one part Polaroid camera using Type 500 Polaroid film,which of course is no longer being sold. How are/were the optics on this camera,I never really saw one fully tested on sites like this one. Were these cameras designed for those who didn't own a printer? Nobody seemed to copy the idea so if I were to purchase one, I guess it would be like buying an Edsel. It's a one-of-a-kind Olympus blunder,much like Fuji having made the 40i which was part digital camera and MP3 player all in one package.
--

Love to buy and sell classic old digital cameras, the 2000 model Olympus C-2100UZ can't be beat.
Cameras Make Pictures, People Create Them

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Nelson
Like?
Re: Back To Older Digicam Fasination Chat (3MP or Less)

BUMP!

Come on, I want to hear more stories of your first digital camera,perhaps Phil will make a forum just for older cameras....good or bad
--

Love to buy and sell classic old digital cameras, the 2000 model Olympus C-2100UZ can't be beat.

Frank LoPriore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,246Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone heard of or owned an Olympus C-211

I seemed to remember that camera. I had to google it to be sure. There was a review from Imaging Resource. They felt it was a good 2meg digital with a poloroid option. They are still listed on Amazon from $37. But, if the poloroid film is no longer available, it's just a collectible. I used to collect what older Oly"s I could find. I had a D500 (.8 meg, body only) that I picked up when Nobody Beats The Wiz went under. Paid about $23 after 75% off. That led me to pick up a D620L (1.3meg?) on Ebay for $60. They were both in near new condition. They were the first digitals with a TTL optical view finder for less than $20k. I did miss that with my first point&shoots. The D500 was almost unusable without the serial cable, but the 620 was fun. I traded them both for a D40 a few years back.
If you need a second on that "old camera forum", I'm in.
--
Frank
Please check out my galleries here
and http://www.pbase.com/fjlsolys

Frank LoPriore's gear list:Frank LoPriore's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D1H Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
In reply to onlooker, Jun 1, 2010

very cool photos,all kinds and variety and very many of them are really good - the B & W from Death Valley is excellent
--
Berghof G.C.

Barry Nelson
Like?
Re: Anyone heard of or owned an Olympus C-211
In reply to Frank LoPriore, Jun 2, 2010

Hey Frank.

The only criteria I have in buying an older Olympus digcam is it must be able to accept the 128mb Smartmedia card. I've seen the D620L many times on Ebay and some are in fantastic condition and they look cool (something out a 1950's Sci-Fi Movie LOL) but from what I hear, they can't accept any memory card higher than 16mb. Maybe Olympus had some firmware way back when and they were able to larger sized cards. I had one buyer on Ebay who purchased one of my C-2100 and even though the counter went up 257, it stopped shooting at half that rate, maybe Olympus offered firmware on that model as well once the 128mb was introduced after the camera was introduced. Now if I could out how to reach Phil to make this topic a separate forum.

Frank LoPriore wrote:

I seemed to remember that camera. I had to google it to be sure. There was a review from Imaging Resource. They felt it was a good 2meg digital with a poloroid option. They are still listed on Amazon from $37. But, if the poloroid film is no longer available, it's just a collectible. I used to collect what older Oly"s I could find. I had a D500 (.8 meg, body only) that I picked up when Nobody Beats The Wiz went under. Paid about $23 after 75% off. That led me to pick up a D620L (1.3meg?) on Ebay for $60. They were both in near new condition. They were the first digitals with a TTL optical view finder for less than $20k. I did miss that with my first point&shoots. The D500 was almost unusable without the serial cable, but the 620 was fun. I traded them both for a D40 a few years back.
If you need a second on that "old camera forum", I'm in.
--
Frank

-- hide signature --

Frank LoPriore
Like?
Smartmedia.
In reply to Barry Nelson, Jun 2, 2010

Barry,

When I got the C5050, it would take CF and SM or XD. Some of the newer Oly Compacts were also showing up with XD only slots. Since the meg count was going up and the smartmedia cards weren't, I read the handwriting on the wall and stocked up on SM cards. Picked up 4 128's for under $50, a good price at the time. I had the C2040, C40, and C2100 that would take the 128's. I didn't get the E10 till later, but it also took CF.

I took the C5050 and E10 to San Diego in '07, and they both performed flawlessly. The colors the 5050 is capable of is astonishing. My favorite shot from the 5050 at the San Diego Zoo below.

-- hide signature --

Frank
Barry

Nikon D80 Nikon D1H Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Barry Nelson
Like?
Re: Smartmedia.

Love the picture of the parrot,shows off the colors and saturation that I like so much,what type of memory was made for that shot? I've owned a few digcams that used Xd cards (all Fujis) I loved my E-550 but this camera seemed to have a "zoom error" message which I assume seemed to be a problem with many who owned this model. I was hoping to invest on a Olympus SP 800 UZ with it's massive 30x zoom but the reviews from owners have been less than positive so far and it dosesn't have an EVF which I really need. BTW, whixh is the largest CF card the C5050 will accept?
--

Frank LoPriore
Like?
Re: Smartmedia.

That was on a 512 CF. I also keep a 256 xd in the 5050. These were the biggest cards available for a reasonable price back then. Interesting that you should ask about the largest card. I just picked up a 2gig CF on sale for the D1H, and that is also the max for the 5050. I think I'm good on media cards fora while.
CF: 2gig, 3 512m, 1 256m.
xd: 256m, 128m, 2 64m

SM: 5 128mm, 2 64m, a bunch of 4, 8, and 16's that I use for storing special pics.

--
Frank

Barry Nelson
Like?
Just a Cool Website

Ya'll might have been here but it finally got updated It's really fun to see how technology as changed in just a decade and a half.

http://www.digicamhistory.com/
--

Frank LoPriore
Like?
Re: Just a Cool Website

Bookmarked.
--
Frank

Barry Nelson
Like?

I only wish the site had shown more models from 2000-2005 although it (the site) would three times the size it is now. DpReview's time line is great too especially if your planning to buy a "classic" digcam and read owner's opinion of it back in 1995 and later. Just remember how old the review is as comparing to newer models.
--

Frank LoPriore
Like?

Barry Nelson wrote:

DpReview's time line is great too especially if your planning to buy a "classic" digcam and read owner's opinion of it back in 1995 and later. Just remember how old the review is as comparing to newer models.

-- hide signature --

Frank

schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,123Gear list
Like?
In reply to Barry Nelson, Oct 20, 2010

I finally found the Dimage EX with the 28mm f1.9 some months back after a lot of search and waiting.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1013&message=35929195
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1013&message=36578604

Now I'm trying to find a working Olympus D-360L which is pretty grainy at iso 500 (highest for that model). Unfortunately the D-340L only go to iso 120.

Even better if I can find one that comes with a 32Mb, or higher, unSmartmedia card

I noticed there is not a huge interest in this model or the C-120 either. But I didn't expect that either http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1008&message=36365213

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Olon
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
A80 (2003 - 4MP) vs. G12 (2010 - 10MP)
In reply to schaki, Oct 20, 2010

From dpreview's buying guide (side-by-side):

Aperture range
A80:F2.8 - F4.9
G12:F2.8 - F4.5

Sensor size
A80:1/1.8"
G12:1/1.7"
(ah, almost that one too..)

Pixel density
A80:10 MP/cm²
G12:23 MP/cm²

Continuous Drive
A80:Yes, 2.4 fps, 5 images, 1.6 fps, 8 images
G12:Yes, 1.1 fps

I rest my case! (tongue firmly in cheek)

onlooker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,885
Like?
Re: Back To Older Digicam Fascination Chat (3MP or Less)
In reply to Barry Nelson, Oct 20, 2010

Barry Nelson wrote:

BUMP!
Come on, I want to hear more stories of your first digital camera

My first was Hitachi Mpeg camera, now long gone. Scary thing is, it cost at the time as much as Nikon D700 today (no, actually a little more).

The one I fell in love with and which is still on my shelf and charged is the Olympus 3040Z. Here is a night shot from it:

http://www.pbase.com/image/129479159/original

schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,123Gear list
Like?
Re: Back To Older Digicam Fascination Chat (3MP or Less)
In reply to onlooker, Jul 2, 2012

Some with the Nikon Coolpix 950.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1007&message=41921282

And one with the Coolpix 700 which used same 2mp 1/2" ccd as the 950.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads