Back To Older Digicam Fasination Chat (3MP or Less)

Started Dec 21, 2009 | Discussions
Barry Nelson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,666
Like?
Back To Older Digicam Fasination Chat (3MP or Less)
Dec 21, 2009

Hey All,

It's been awhile since I've been here on the forums with this topic but it was fun and would love to here more of your "blast from the past"

I just received an Olympus C-700 10X zoom I snagged off Ebay for $32.50 in like new condition and a 64mb and 16mb Olympus Smartmedia card. Nowadays with 10 +mp cameras being the norm. many of early 1999-2002 camera models may gather dust in some closet but I find them very interesting and still useful when you don't want to risk damaging your more expensive DSLR on family outings. Most will produce excellent 8 x 10 photos and that the size most printers will max out at. I may not retain sharpness with heavy cropping as the newbie cameras but maybe that's the bar gets set higher and higher each year. BTW, I don't worry about Smartmedia cards as I have plenty.

Thoughts and your favorite older digcam?
Barry
--

Love to buy and sell classic old digital cameras, the 2000 model Olympus C-2100UZ can't be beat.

Cameras Make Pictures, People Create Them

kjunom
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
still using mine despite the alternatives
In reply to Barry Nelson, Dec 22, 2009

I just used my Olympus C3000 two weeks ago in NYC. It's small, works great and takes fine pics with accurate focus and exposure, good enough optics and some zoom range. It allows plenty of user control or auto operation. I sent a friend some pics a few years ago from a weekend at Cape May and he liked them so much he had a couple of them printed and framed for me. I've got bigger, better cameras, but the C3000 is just so convenient and unobtrusive. If you check out some of the photo contests from their "era", the 3MP cameras are plenty capable.

kjunom's gear list:kjunom's gear list
Olympus C-3000 Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Nelson
Like?
Re: still using mine despite the alternatives
In reply to kjunom, Dec 22, 2009

kjunom wrote:

I just used my Olympus C3000 two weeks ago in NYC. It's small, works great and takes fine pics with accurate focus and exposure, good enough optics and some zoom range. It allows plenty of user control or auto operation. I sent a friend some pics a few years ago from a weekend at Cape May and he liked them so much he had a couple of them printed and framed for me. I've got bigger, better cameras, but the C3000 is just so convenient and unobtrusive. If you check out some of the photo contests from their "era", the 3MP cameras are plenty capable.

-- hide signature --

'Kicking Back With My Pentax K200D (Sigma 70-300m) & Fuji E-550. Love to buy and sell classic old digital cameras, the 2000 model Olympus C-2100UZ can't be beat.

I agree 100%, I also have a Olympus C2040 which I got for $12.00 on Ebay, it's weird that the Smartmedia memory cards are going for more money that the cameras themselves....a 128mb card can cost you as much as a 16gb SD card....weird. Do you ever go to http://www.pbase.com and search pictures by camera model? It's even amazing to see quality pics taken with a D460 1.3MP Olympus, these cameras are great for getting the kids as young as 6 years old into the world of photography.

Fritzdcat
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
Re: still using mine despite the alternatives

I enjoy old memories with my 2001 Nikon 775. I bought it in mid 2001. I remember that the new price was pretty high. The camera is 2.1 MP, has a very small sensor and has a tiny little viewing screen. The little guy is painfully slow in all respects but I have indeed gotten some great results with it over the years. I'll probably never get rid of it.
--
derFritz

Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,476Gear list
Like?
Re: Back To Older Digicam Fasination Chat (3MP or Less)

I use several aged digitals at work because they do the job as well as they ever did. I use a Canon D30 (not a 30D) for all my internal reports because they only take 500 pixel wide images. Three megapixels is plenty. I carry a Coolpix 4500 in the field because of its macro ability and good image quality (oh, sorry, it's 4 megapixels; over the limit) and I've got a Coolpix 950 (2 mpx) on one of our Nikon microscopes.

So this stuff doesn't automatically stop working when higher-resolution sensors appear, it keeps on chugging along.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Barry Carter
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,359Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Dec 22, 2009

I cut my digicam teeth with Olympus Cxxxx camera's. Still have my Olympus C2040 and C3030. What is great about these is the a fast lens (f/1.8) and full manual operation ability; including focusing. Also have the Nikon CP4500 (and a plethora of accessories). The 4500 was unique with its swivel lense, macro ability, 5 min Bulb ability, etc. I think it was too complex to use for Joe Lunchbucket; maybe a reason Nikon dropped it. IMO, Nikon has not produced a P&S since that rivels the CP4500 (4mp). A year ago, I purchased the Panasonic LX3 (10mp), because I am an ole skool photograher, and if a camera does not have full manual ability; I'm not interested.

Ciao....Barry

Barry Carter's gear list:Barry Carter's gear list
Nikon D5200
Barry Nelson
Like?
In reply to Barry Carter, Dec 22, 2009

Hey fellow Barry,

My first experience into the digital world was almost my last. I got a cheap Vivitar for Christmas back in 2004 and all the reds and greens of the holiday season came out purplelish and olive drab.YEEECH. It got me thinking that ALL digital cameras were like that. Having owned several top notch Canon SLRs like the F-1, I was very disappointed.,that was short-lived after a purchased a Fuji E-550 and it was like night and day as far as picture quality goes. I've been upgrading ever since but a good company that made 35mm cameras produced 3mp (or less) cameras. Now I know why most review sites like DP and Steve's don't even bother to test Vivitars and other cheapos. I would much rather have a low resolution digcam from before 2003 than a new 10mp camera from a company that produces off colors and focusing you can't depend on. I guess I assumed that since Vivitar made great "Series 1" lenses for my 35mms, their cameras would be just as great...WRONG!!
--

'Kicking Back With My Pentax K200D (Sigma 70-300m) & Fuji E-550. Love to buy and sell classic old digital cameras, the 2000 model Olympus C-2100UZ can't be beat.

BertIverson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862Gear list
Like?
This thread prove one thing ...

I agree with all the posts and here is the real point. For those of us who never print bigger than 8x10 or look at pictures on a monitor 2.4MP or less, all the pixel peeping and ranting about lens sharpness and ISO noise is foolishness. This assumes, of course, that you fill the frame with the desired image (digital cropping is a different story). Since the OP has a 10x camera, no reason to not fill the frame :-). Well spoken all.
--
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +3 more
ciaran33
Regular MemberPosts: 324
Like?
Re: This thread prove one thing ...
In reply to BertIverson, Dec 22, 2009

My Canon G2 is still a fine camera, and I can print an A3+ that looks great. The F2 lens is very sharp.

Barry Nelson
Like?
In reply to ciaran33, Dec 22, 2009

Thought I'd take my $12.00 Oly 2040 out for a spin, not too shabby for 2.1MP

-- hide signature --

Canon Dale
Regular MemberPosts: 112
Like?

I disagree with all who have posted so far.

The old cams STUNK.

I have a circa-1999 Kodak DC215... 1mp, 2x zoom, "focus free". What a stinker! Bulky body, ridiculously slow operation and atrocious battery life - even if you left the tiny, grainy screen live view turned off.

On the other hand, by 2005 (Casio Ex-Z750) digicams were very good, though still a little pricey. Big memory cards were cheap, camera bodies were very compact, and shutter lag was getting reasonably small.

Barry Nelson
Like?
In reply to Canon Dale, Dec 22, 2009

Dave,

I never said ALL early digcams were peaches n cream,I'm sure Kodak was focusing more on their APS film cameras at the time (IMHO a joke) than the digital market. 10-12 years ago I would have never would have associated Panasonic and Sony with cameras as stereos is what would come to mind if I had been shopping around. Now when I think of Honda, I think of their cars and not motorcycles anymore...Gawd, I'm showing my age now.
--

DigitalMaven
Senior MemberPosts: 1,849
Like?
Here is what a 9 year old digital camera can do ....

Some of the older 2 to 3 MP digital cameras could produce very credible images.
Here is one that I took in Berlin in 2000 with my 3 mp Sony DSC-S70.

Larger image & EXIF: http://www.pbase.com/digitalmaven/image/81025236/original

I still have the S70, but it is mostly retired these days in favor of newer
more capable cameras.

-- hide signature --

When a hammer is your only tool, all problems begin to look like nails.

Barry Nelson
Like?
Re: Here is what a 9 year old digital camera can do ....
In reply to DigitalMaven, Dec 22, 2009

WOW!! This topic is becoming more and more fun after reading more threads,I hope it continues Maybe Phil can make old digital cameras a forum of it's own since he still keeps the archives from his old reviews on here. I personally love reading reader's opinions of those old classics and seeing such comments as "waiting to save up so I can get one of those high 4mp cameras" LOL ahhhhhhhh those way the days.
--

Barry Carter
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,359Gear list
Like?
In reply to Barry Nelson, Dec 23, 2009

Photo of moon using an Olympus C3030 (3mp) camera attached to a telescope:

Nikon CP4500 (4 mp) attached to a telescope:

Image of Mars taken with above setup with CP4500:

Ciao.....Barry

Barry Carter's gear list:Barry Carter's gear list
Nikon D5200
Mike_PEAT
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,705Gear list
Like?
Recently bought two 2mp cameras for 3D photography...

Barry Nelson wrote:

I just received an Olympus C-700 10X zoom I snagged off Ebay for $32.50 in like new condition and a 64mb and 16mb Olympus Smartmedia card.

I was also a C-700 UZ user, and it was a great camera...I had to even go back to it a while back because I tore a tendon in my hand and I couldn't support the weight of my dSLR (I've since gone back to my dSLR although I now use a grip strap with it).

Well, I've been doing electronic photography since the late 80's, my first non-film camera was a Canon Xapshot (aka Q-pic)...it wasn't digital, but it used a CCD and recorded analog video pictures (like a single frame from a VHS tape) onto a 2" floppy disk.

Another camera that got a lot of use was my "JamCam" which was 0.3mp (640x480). I actually bought a second one and mounted both on a metal bar to do 3D photography.

Which brings me to my latest purchase of two Fuji Finepix A201 2mp cameras (that I paid $10 each for), again which will be mounted on the metal bar and used for 3D photography (to get more resolution than the JamCams had).

So why didn't I just buy a second dSLR...well it's just too heavy to lift two dSLRs...although if I was doing fine art and paid for it I would get two Oly E-P1's since they are small enough.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Barry Nelson
Like?
In reply to Barry Carter, Dec 23, 2009

Amazing moon shot for a 3mp cam, any PP done to the pic?
--

onlooker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,749Gear list
Like?

Barry Nelson wrote:

Barry , you struck a note with me. After all the digital cameras I have gone through in the past 10+ years, my old Olympus C3040Z remains my favorite compact of all times. At low ISO the images were sharp and creamy. The features and handling was beyond anything available today in compacts. Here is an example of an available light portrait taken with that camera:

http://www.pbase.com/image/46757027/original

I wanted to send that cam to Olympus to have it serviced, but they refused and offered a credit toward the purchase of a new compact. The problem is, today Olympus doesn't make any compact that can match that one.

BTW, and this goes to dpreview's forum fights over rating, that camera only got a "Recommended" at the time. So much for people's obsession with rating. I bought it based on features and samples here on dpreview. Best buy I ever made.

MikeInIndy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?

I still have my old Nikon Coolpix 2000 2mpix camera. My complaints with it are numerous, but none of them have to do with image quality. It ate batteries, had a terrible screen and no OVF, was slow, and was kind of clunky and big. It takes great pictures when used correctly and framed right. Ultimately I replaced it with an SD780 IS recently as I wanted something that I wouldn't be turned off about carrying since the SD slides into a pocket. The SD's image quality at base ISO is amazing because of it's huge resolution advantage, but when you start cranking the ISO up it loses some of that advantage, but ultimately it does seem to out perform the old girl in pretty much every way. I thought about trying to get 10 or 20 bucks out of the old coolpix, but frankly I think I'd rather keep it to take places I wouldn't take a digicam I'd be worried about losing.
--
-Mike

MikeInIndy's gear list:MikeInIndy's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Barry Nelson
Like?
In reply to onlooker, Dec 23, 2009

Nice portait!!! Most P & S cams now look and feel like a bar of soap and sadly the optical viewfinder is becoming rare on newer models . LCDS are still hard to see in bright sunlight.

onlooker wrote:

Barry Nelson wrote:

Barry , you struck a note with me. After all the digital cameras I have gone through in the past 10+ years, my old Olympus C3040Z remains my favorite compact of all times. At low ISO the images were sharp and creamy. The features and handling was beyond anything available today in compacts. Here is an example of an available light portrait taken with that camera:

http://www.pbase.com/image/46757027/original

I wanted to send that cam to Olympus to have it serviced, but they refused and offered a credit toward the purchase of a new compact. The problem is, today Olympus doesn't make any compact that can match that one.

BTW, and this goes to dpreview's forum fights over rating, that camera only got a "Recommended" at the time. So much for people's obsession with rating. I bought it based on features and samples here on dpreview. Best buy I ever made.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads