1.2.4 firmware for 5DII

Started Dec 17, 2009 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Peacetilence New Member • Posts: 11
1.2.4 firmware for 5DII

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eos5dmk2/firmware.html

"Firmware Version 1.2.4 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.

1.Supports the WFT-E4 II wireless file transmitter that was released in December 2009.

2.Corrects a phenomenon in which visible noise may appear in images taken by continuous Bulb shooting."

Peacetilence's gear list:Peacetilence's gear list
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 5,571
Re: 1.2.4 firmware for 5DII

Well.....I'm not going first...
--
-------------------------------------------------
'Hit Refresh if pix do not appear. Flaky ISP at work.'

Mike K Veteran Member • Posts: 5,525

I had downloaded several updates for my 1DmkII, and the procedure was identical. The instructions are pretty detailed. Once the firmware update is initiated it takes a full minute or two.

Tested out the manual control of video at various ISO to 6400, shutter speed, and aperture, then played it back on the LCD. Indeed the camera does record in full Manual control.
Mike K

Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Breitling Senior Member • Posts: 1,277
Just installed fine, thanks! (n/t)

(n/t)

Breitling's gear list:Breitling's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +3 more
Mike K Veteran Member • Posts: 5,525

I don't have a wireless transmitter and am not sure what the problem was with bulb, but everything seems to work fine.

And ISO 12800 still has noise. I think it looks the same, but I haven't yet downloaded a shot.

Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Arie Litman Regular Member • Posts: 478
Thanks, it installs fine.. (nt)
-- hide signature --

It is always the darkest before it goes totally black...

http://www.litman.com

Nicholas_H Regular Member • Posts: 278

Mike K wrote:

And ISO 12800 still has noise. I think it looks the same, but I haven't yet downloaded a shot.

Just a polite head's up that the firmware update didn't say anything about correcting noise at ISO 12800.

It said it corrects a phenomenon in which visible noise may appear in images taken by continuous Bulb shooting.

Specifically, Canon notes, "This firmware update corrects a phenomenon that if the [C.Fn II-1 Long exposure noise reduction] setting is set to [2: On], noise may appear in images that are captured while the previous image is still being generated."

wa2n Regular Member • Posts: 173

Sounds like they were generating noise during dark frame subtraction.

Derge Forum Member • Posts: 96

wa2n wrote:

Sounds like they were generating noise during dark frame subtraction.

You could be right. My guess is they just weren't subtracting it properly when you took a series of long exposures without giving the camera time to finish its black frames. (They form a queue instead—kind of a cool feature.)

-- hide signature --

'So what do you take pictures of?' 'Mostly nouns.'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads