New 35 1.4 due out very soon!

Started Dec 5, 2009 | Discussions
dave veneri
Senior MemberPosts: 2,060
Like?
New 35 1.4 due out very soon!
Dec 5, 2009

Got heads up from a inside contact. They have been putting the lens together for about a year, patent filed a year ago as well, looks like they are ramping up the supply as we speak. Cant wait for that prime as it will fair well on FF. He wouldnt comment on nano coating or price : ( he did say that this would not be a budget lens though.....Well whats new : (

Peace, Dave

http://www.davenphoto.com

Digitalanimal
Contributing MemberPosts: 800
Like?
Lense delayed due to new 70-200 VR III to fix problem with II version
In reply to dave veneri, Dec 5, 2009

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But I have it on good source.

Maybe in 2012 after they add all those f/4 primes and zooms everyone wants, plus VR III to the 14-24, 24-70, 10.5, 10-24, 12-24 and the super zoooooom, 5-1000mm.

Then maybe.

Regards
DA

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rumle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,363Gear list
Like?
Re: New 35 1.4 due out very soon!

If its like the 50 1.4 plastic hell... its just too bad.

On another note, one year!?... the 28 1.4 took 10 years to develop (was on the market for sooo long...)
--
http://www.rumleskafte.com

Rumle's gear list:Rumle's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +18 more
dave veneri
Senior MemberPosts: 2,060
Like?
In reply to Rumle, Dec 5, 2009

I was told that Nikon is making a big commitment to fast primes and will be expiditing these lenses. Mark this post and hold me to the info. Looks like a few others are well along towards completion as well. That 85 1.4 is going to be a class defining lens from what I was told : )))

Peace, Dave

http://www.davenphoto.com

Tim Ackerman
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?

While I would LOVE to believe Nikon is working on a bunch of new fast primes, I won't believe it until I see it. I've been hearing that Nikon will be putting out new fast primes for the last several years on sites like this and it just never happens.

If they are anything like the cheap plastic 50mm f/1.4G then you can count me out as well. I want something of substance like the current 85mm f/1.4 or the old school AI-S lenses. I hope their new primes are built like a tank, weather sealed and have great manual focus. I think there are many people who would pay a premium for glass like this.

I'd love to see a new 24, 28, 35 and 85 but I think that I am dreaming hoping for all that. I bet we would be lucky to see just one.

VividExposures
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?
In reply to Tim Ackerman, Dec 5, 2009

Any thoughts on the initial price point?

Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?
 Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Kodak DCS Pro 14n +39 more
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?
In reply to Boris, Dec 5, 2009

That's right. You keep saying the same thing that lens X will be out soon, eventually it will be out soon.

VRII
Senior MemberPosts: 2,529
Like?
In reply to dave veneri, Dec 6, 2009

Well, I'm not one to spread rumours, but Nikon is indeed coming out with fast wide primes FX , F/1.4, 1sr qtr 2010, however, my "source" told me the pricing would not be very friendly, starting well North of $700

Tim Ackerman
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
In reply to VRII, Dec 6, 2009

VRII wrote:

Well, I'm not one to spread rumours, but Nikon is indeed coming out with fast wide primes FX , F/1.4, 1sr qtr 2010, however, my "source" told me the pricing would not be very friendly, starting well North of $700

That's fine with me. Just as long as they make them out of more then just plastic!

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,789Gear list
Like?
I have a question
In reply to Tim Ackerman, Dec 6, 2009

Does anyone ahve a plastic lens that actually broke because it is plastic? ...or is it just the "plastic s*cks" mentality? Not just this post but alot of them.

Sorry to say, but plastic is the material of today. I would love to see some solid stainless steel lenses ...but it ain't gonna happen.

Still, I have three all plastics that never let me down. Been through the sahara from north to south, east to west and than back up north. Been almost all the way down the Nile, been up the Niger. Been through the Congo. Been through SE Asia, twice. Been through the Rub al-khali from Dubai to Sana'a. Been through Afghanistan, hiked the Himalayas. ...to name a few places, and never had one let me down.

So ...what are you guys doing that you need such solid lenses?

Just curious.
John
--
http://www.OneFrameStudios.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,271Gear list
Like?
No you wouldn't
In reply to happypoppeye, Dec 6, 2009

happypoppeye wrote:

Sorry to say, but plastic is the material of today. I would love to see some solid stainless steel lenses ...but it ain't gonna happen.

Well, maybe you'd like to see them but you sure wouldn't want to carry them. I had an 85mm f/2 rangefinder lens with a brass mount (about as heavy as stainless) and it was a brick. Be glad they use aluminum now.

I have metal lenses and plastic lenses. No problems ever with plastic but I like the feel of the metal lenses better. No photographic benefit whatsoever, though.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
CHollowell
Regular MemberPosts: 208
Like?
Re: I have a question

happypoppeye wrote:

So ...what are you guys doing that you need such solid lenses?

Weightlifting, apparently the newest fad in exercise is to load your backpack up with the heaviest metal lenses possible and then go hiking. Plastic lenses just don't have that lead brick feel that helps people get in shape.

PhotoRecon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,032
Like?

I'm going to be rocketing off to Mars this next week and am dearly needing something more substantial than plastic because of those darn dust storms they keep having up there. I'm writing a letter to Nikon requesting they make their lenses instead out of titanium, like they did with that F3 way back when. Maybe I should take one of those instead, along with a couple rolls of Fuji film - - oh, and my af-s 80-200mm lens (which doesn't have any focal length problems).

marc

VividExposures
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?
In reply to PhotoRecon, Dec 6, 2009

tvnewsbadge
Contributing MemberPosts: 986
Like?
Plastic yes, tape no.

There's nothing at all wrong with plastic. I just wish they weren't using tape to hold the low end units together.

MikeInIndy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075Gear list
Like?

happypoppeye wrote:

Does anyone ahve a plastic lens that actually broke because it is plastic? ...or is it > just the "plastic s*cks" mentality? Not just this post but alot of them.

I haven't had any issues, however one needs only to look at ebay to see how it can be an issue. On any given day when I've browsed the "cheapy nikons ending soon" via search I invariably find 3-4 busted off bayonets in a day, and probably once a week you'll see a lens broken in half. Bad luck or carelessness I'm pretty sure is the only way either of these actually happens, but it does happen. I'd imagine falling cameras hitting lens first is the overwhelming cause of most of these incidents.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikeInIndy's gear list:MikeInIndy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 +13 more
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?

Well if it's gonna be 'only' $700-$800 or less than one thousand, I'd say it's probably not going to be an ultra wide (if the f/1.4 is accurate).

But considering Nikon just came out with 50mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.8, are you sure it's going to be another 30mm or 35mm?
Maybe it's just a rumor afterall...

RRJackson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,555Gear list
Like?
Re: No you wouldn't
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Dec 6, 2009

Leonard Migliore wrote:

I have metal lenses and plastic lenses. No problems ever with plastic but I like the feel of the metal lenses better. No photographic benefit whatsoever, though.

I'm surprised that just for the zazz factor we haven't seen any carbon fiber lens bodies. The hoods pop up in high-end stuff, but you never see the bodies made out of the stuff. I'll bet that if all they did with the old 35mm f/2 was add nano coating and a carbon fiber body it would sail off the shelves at twice the price. They could probably sell it for even more if they added one of those nifty gold plaques and a racing stripe.

RRJackson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,555Gear list
Like?
In reply to CHollowell, Dec 6, 2009

CHollowell wrote:

Weightlifting, apparently the newest fad in exercise is to load your backpack up with the heaviest metal lenses possible and then go hiking. Plastic lenses just don't have that lead brick feel that helps people get in shape.

The little Olympus primes were mostly pretty light and they were metal-bodied. Felt nice in the hand, too. My favorites for silky, lusciousness in the hand were the old Pentax lenses with the scalloped focusing ring. Those things had such a silky smooth precision and the metal focusing ring felt so good in the hand. Those little scallops were just right for grip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allenormous/3547461397/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads