K-x FIRMWARE v1.01 available for download

Started Dec 3, 2009 | Discussions
MrClick
Contributing MemberPosts: 946Gear list
Like?
K-x FIRMWARE v1.01 available for download
Dec 3, 2009

For those who may have missed this piece of news today

Pentax has issued updated firmware for its entry-level DSLR, the K-x. Firmware V1.01 adds to the camera's 'cross-processing' feature and allows it to be assigned to the camera's 'green' button. It also promises to improve the accuracy of the battery meter as well as 'improved stability and performance'. K-x owners can download the latest firmware from the Pentax website (link below):

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-x_s.html

Click

dragra
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133Gear list
Like?
Re: K-x FIRMWARE v1.01 available for download
In reply to MrClick, Dec 3, 2009

to have cross-processing at your fingertip is a nice touch, though I find much more nice that now the "crossing" can be tweaked in 3 steps before the shot!

never had K-x battery issues, but glad to hear they addressed it too...

MrClick wrote:

For those who may have missed this piece of news today

Pentax has issued updated firmware for its entry-level DSLR, the K-x. Firmware V1.01 adds to the camera's 'cross-processing' feature and allows it to be assigned to the camera's 'green' button. It also promises to improve the accuracy of the battery meter as well as 'improved stability and performance'. K-x owners can download the latest firmware from the Pentax website (link below):

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-x_s.html

Click

dragra's gear list:dragra's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 Pentax X-5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-r Pentax K-30 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,071Gear list
Like?

With like 8 million posts a day in here on battery problems with the K-x, why has no one posted if this firmware update fixed the problem or not?

Anyone have luck with this?

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://viking79.blogspot.com/ (9/9/09)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)
See my PPG Shots: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/erictastad (8/31/09)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
dapharmer
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
In reply to viking79, Dec 3, 2009
-- hide signature --

-Just me and my Pentax K-x w/ 18-55 DA-L lens... at least until I replenish my bank account.

Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,886
Like?
yep - new K-X firmware, what about battery problems now ?

viking79 wrote:

With like 8 million posts a day in here on battery problems with the K-x, why has no one posted if this firmware update fixed the problem or not?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly ;-D

-- hide signature --

• Ari Aikomus -

'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,964
Like?
People posting at PentaxForums are reporting it resolves the issues n/t

Thank you
Russell

Roland Mabo
Forum ProPosts: 12,462
Like?

viking79 wrote:

With like 8 million posts a day in here on battery problems with the K-x, why has > no one posted if this firmware update fixed the problem or not?

That is not true. I have posted about it here and I have seen several other postings too. Just because you haven't read them doesn't mean that they don't exist.

But this is a problem oriented forum. We are much more happy talking about problems than solutions. If a problem is solved, then this gets much much less attention here than the problem got. Because this is how this forum works.

-- hide signature --
tomtor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,442
Like?
Re: yep - new K-X firmware, what about battery problems now ?
In reply to Ari Aikomus, Dec 3, 2009

Ari Aikomus wrote:

viking79 wrote:

I had 3 good working sets (eneloops, duracell hybrid white top, and varta 2500) which still work ok.

I had 2 bad sets (panasonic hybrid and varta hybrid) which didn't work and now give me orange/green in NiMh setting, not as good as the good sets, but usable now...

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,071Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roland Mabo, Dec 3, 2009

Roland Mabo wrote:

viking79 wrote:

With like 8 million posts a day in here on battery problems with the K-x, why has > no one posted if this firmware update fixed the problem or not?

That is not true. I have posted about it here and I have seen several other postings too. Just because you haven't read them doesn't mean that they don't exist.

But this is a problem oriented forum. We are much more happy talking about problems than solutions. If a problem is solved, then this gets much much less attention here than the problem got. Because this is how this forum works.

True, but I was hoping to at least see a post: K-x firmware update fixed my battery problem. The existing posts are likely burried in other posts which I am not following.

You are right though, people prefer to whine when something doesn't work than to praise when they fix it. Hopefully this will supress some of the whining for a while.

I wasn't meaning to sound negative with my original post, rather it was meant to be funny as all the firmware update threads had dropped off the main page without a comment of people saying one way or the other if it had fixed their problem.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://viking79.blogspot.com/ (9/9/09)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)
See my PPG Shots: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/erictastad (8/31/09)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,886
Like?
Re: yep - new K-X firmware, what about battery problems now ?
In reply to tomtor, Dec 3, 2009

tomtor wrote:

Ari Aikomus wrote:

viking79 wrote:

I had 3 good working sets (eneloops, duracell hybrid white top, and varta 2500) which still work ok.

I had 2 bad sets (panasonic hybrid and varta hybrid) which didn't work and now give me orange/green in NiMh setting, not as good as the good sets, but usable now...

Wow, great - so firmware indeed works well ! What a great news!
Thank you for info.

cheers,

Ari

-- hide signature --

• Ari Aikomus -

'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

FrancoisduP
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Yippee!

Well, this puts the K-x back on my shopping list!

And for those hardcore fanboys that also said there is no battery issue and that they normally leave a camera 1 min with new batteries before switching it on....hope you are also downloading the update No need to punish yourself over this.

Glad Pentax confirmed the issue.

I have a feeling my DS will be retired soon. Now only to decide if I want the K20D or the K-x.

Bich
Contributing MemberPosts: 949
Like?
Re: Yippee!
In reply to FrancoisduP, Dec 3, 2009

If you read french:

http://www.chassimages.com/forum/index.php/topic,69794.0.html

They wrote much less comments about the problem, but they were prompter to test the new firmware. Until now, it works! Personally I shall wait a few reports more, I am very careful with firmware upgrades since I had many related problems with my *istD.
--
Jacques Bijtebier

noou
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Re: Yippee!
In reply to Bich, Dec 3, 2009

my preliminary results with firmware 1.01:
previously non-working batteries seem to work

working batteries that resulted in camera turning off, even with actual residual charge, now can turn the camera on and go orange.

so far I'd say I'm pretty satisfied
the test goes on, though...

noou's gear list:noou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ3 Nikon Coolpix P300 Pentax K-x Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) +3 more
jerrymouse12
Regular MemberPosts: 330
Like?

The only thing that it did for me is that Lv trick won't work anymore

J/k...I had no problem with batteries before..and I have no problem after update. Half depleted eneloops show orange, almost empty set shows red - everything works as it should.

Owen Marshall
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to viking79, Dec 4, 2009

viking79 wrote:

Hey, some of us were sleeping when it was announced! Give us time ...

Anyone have luck with this?

Yep. The short version is that everything's fixed on my camera!

My "good" NiMHs (Varta 2500mAh) switch on to green everytime (with the battery type set to NIMH), whereas before I'd often not be able to turn the camera on with them after changing batteries. But even more impressive is that some very depleted five-year-old Engergizer 2100mAh batteries that were almost completely discharged now switch it on to red. And that's significant because these batteries wouldn't switch the camera on before even when fully charged!

(There may still be some minor issues with autodetect. The battery type gets incorrectly detected when the setting is on Auto, so my good batteries still function, but the indicator is orange, not green. This may be a memory effect, though -- the K-x is supposed to store the old battery type for a while, and I used Lithiums when updating the firmware. But in any case, setting the type to NIMH now works perfectly.)

It's worth pointing out, incidentally, that there clearly was a problem with the K-x battery meter. It's nice to feel vindicated. It's even nicer to know that Pentax listened.

But nicest of all is the fact that I've now got a camera which always turns on

paul_do
Regular MemberPosts: 376
Like?
In reply to jerrymouse12, Dec 4, 2009

Yay! for Pentax. Now I don't have to see countless thread of K-X batteries problem.
--
K20D
Metz 58 AF-1+studio strobes
12-24mm, DA* 16-50mm, DA* 50-135mm

opiecat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,787Gear list
Like?
In reply to paul_do, Dec 4, 2009

yep the new firmware fixes the battery issue.

my old sanyo 2500mah nimh now turns on with orange battery level.

previously, it would turn the camera on, but after shutting it off, it would not turn back on.

the LV "fix" doesn't work no longer, i think that's actaully good, because the LV fix and the other half-lens twist, etc, were probably misleading and incorrect anyway.

will be monitoring how the 'older' batteries work.

new firmware makes the kx's battery "meter" more accurate and stable. however, bad batteries will always be bad and no amount of new firmware would get these to work.

-- hide signature --

'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

johnnyz86
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrClick, Dec 4, 2009

A couple things I noticed - Contrast Detect AF is now much faster - before it used to go beyond "in focus" focus to nearly the other end, before zooming back.

Now it only goes a bit past "in focus" then snaps back!

In phase-detect AF LV, when in AF-C, it no longer flips the mirror like 2 times to take a picture, only flips it once like it should.

I will update my wishlist thread.

As for batteries, my 5+ year old energizer 2650 batteries are red in auto mode but can take pictures, use LV, and video fine while staying red. When in NiMH mode, they are green.

johnnyz86's gear list:johnnyz86's gear list
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
johnnyz86
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
In reply to opiecat, Dec 4, 2009

opiecat wrote:

yep the new firmware fixes the battery issue.

my old sanyo 2500mah nimh now turns on with orange battery level.

previously, it would turn the camera on, but after shutting it off, it would not turn back on.

the LV "fix" doesn't work no longer, i think that's actaully good, because the LV fix and the other half-lens twist, etc, were probably misleading and incorrect anyway.

They weren't misleading nor incorrect - they worked for a number of people. Just goes to show it truly was a firmware bug - since those functions caused a segment of code to run that re-calibrated the battery meter.

will be monitoring how the 'older' batteries work.

new firmware makes the kx's battery "meter" more accurate and stable. however, bad batteries will always be bad and no amount of new firmware would get these to work.

The OSD meter itself for auto mode is actually worse for me accuracy wise. However, the camera is much less picky - as I said above, I get red with my 5+ year olds but take pictures fine with no depleted message yet (they show up green in NiMH mode).

-- hide signature --

'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

johnnyz86's gear list:johnnyz86's gear list
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
mvb123
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,298
Like?
hidden features
In reply to johnnyz86, Dec 4, 2009

johnnyz86 wrote:

A couple things I noticed - Contrast Detect AF is now much faster - before it used to go beyond "in focus" focus to nearly the other end, before zooming back.

Now it only goes a bit past "in focus" then snaps back!

In phase-detect AF LV, when in AF-C, it no longer flips the mirror like 2 times to take a picture, only flips it once like it should.

Sounds great, weird though that Pentax only mentions these improvements vaguely. I think the more improvements they explicitly name in a press-release the more positive attention it gets.

-- hide signature --

Menno

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads