selphy vs. epson picturemate?

Started Nov 29, 2009 | Discussions
david_02478
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
selphy vs. epson picturemate?
Nov 29, 2009

Hi - quick question for the group - I am looking for a basic but quality printer for 4x6 home prints. Nothing pro quality, just looking to print quality family photos. Debating between epson picturemate vs. canon selphy. would you guys suggest one way or the other?

They both seem to have their cons from reviews I've been able to find. I've read the epson will clog if you don't use it frequently (which we sometimes do not) and the canon supposedly crops prints when you print in borderless mode?

feedback?

I'm in the US by the way if that helps

Thanks!
David

Scott O
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
Re: selphy vs. epson picturemate?
In reply to david_02478, Nov 30, 2009

The Epson 640(?) has the best print quality based on what I have read on various internet sites. Is is currently on sale at Amazon for $99, which is $50 off!
--
Scott Oberle
http://www.photosbysandj.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,122
Like?
In reply to Scott O, Nov 30, 2009

The Canon Selphy is a dye-sublimation printer which never clogs no matter how long you leave it between prints.

All of these "photo printers" will crop a borderless print if your image is not 3:2 aspect ratio to match the 6x4 inch paper format.

-- hide signature --

To Err is Human, To really foul things up you need a computer.

John P Roskos
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?

You might want to check out the HP A 646 on sale cyber Monday and maybe longer a bit longer HP Store online, It can also do 5 x 7 I have one just ordered second for event back up if needed.

At HP

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/sp_special/ipg/1/storefronts/CC001A%2523B1H

At Best Buy Sunday Monday only in stores and on web at

http://www.bestbuy.com/at15gifts

Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,668Gear list
Like?

As one other poster mentioned, the Canon is a dyesub printer, whereas the Epson is an inkjet printer. The Canon, being a dyesub printer, will produce a print that has a clear laminate layer over the image, making it very rugged and virtually impervious to water or other liquids. Dyesub printers don't have any nozzles to clog, so they are good for infrequent use. The primary advantage that the Epson has is increased color gamut.

My personal preference would be to go with the Canon printer because it's dyesub. I have a Kodak PrinterDock 4x6 dyesub printer, and I love it. It makes borderless 4x6 prints in 60 seconds. The prints come out dry and very rugged, unlike an inkjet print that someone gave my son of their daughter where the ink began to run when the print got wet (they were carrying the print when it started raining).

All borderless printers will crop the image somewhat. This is because they have to print an image that is slightly larger (typically approximately 0.1 inch) to account for the paper tolerance (centering and skew) as it's passing through the printer. If the printer didn't print a slightly larger image, you would see white on one or two edges, if the paper wasn't centered exactly right, or if the paper skewed slightly as it was pulled into the printer.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
plantdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,890
Like?
In reply to Bob Collette, Dec 1, 2009

I have used both of these printers in various models. The selphy is available in the very compact model or the new E40 with a much larger LCD and more "on printer" adjustments. As dye-sub, it can sit unused for weeks without any problems and print quality is very good, but with a more natural color projection...more like a chemical processed, color print. The printer driver for the compact model does provide for limited adjustments for brightness and contrast and saturation, which can be handy if your prints are just slightly different than your monitor view. I don't know about the driver for the E40. The Picturemate is an inkjet and produces more punchy colors, but still accurate...I think it is the ink and paper. The various models have been an odd mix of full controls and adjustments to almost nothing but auto adjust. The printer driver is a disappointment for Epson in that it provides virtually no needed corrections.. brightness, contrast, etc. However, these controls may be available on the printer. Odd mix. I bought the PM 260, a newer model, loaded with controls and adjustments on the printer and a large LCD that is a bit too dark and contrasty. Printing is very fast compared to my previous earlier model which had no controls except auto adjust on the printer and of course, nothing in the driver. Unfortunately, the previous model had slightly better pic quality. On my PM 260, some tones like blue skies and some skin tones will show fine banding and "micro dot splatter" type pattern. However, you do need to look closely and most people probably wouldn't notice. The fix is to use the printer driver, where the "fine details" selection slows down printing and evens the tones. The new Charm model seems back to few controls and small LCD. If the PM 260 had the print quality of my previous cheaper model and a more versatile printer driver, it would a real champion for a 4x6 printer. Didn't care for the HP compact I tried. Excellent printer driver, but skin tones were too warm and the cartridge has no black, just 3 colors. Also, the cartridge seemed to have less ink than the same cartridge in the print pack value. Of course, things change overnight so my comments should be taken based on just my experience.

Greg

Don Fraser
Senior MemberPosts: 1,284
Like?
For a Picturemate Charm review
In reply to david_02478, Dec 1, 2009
midmadn
Contributing MemberPosts: 533
Like?
Re: For a Picturemate Charm review
In reply to Don Fraser, Dec 1, 2009

I have owned a Canon Selphy CP-200 and CP-400 and now use an Epson Picturemate 240.

No contest whatsoever if you want sharp saturated prints that make your jaw drop. Get the Epson.

The Selphy's I've owned as well as others I have seen just do not print sharp and colorfull. They are soft and muted.

MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,122
Like?
Re: For a Picturemate Charm review
In reply to midmadn, Dec 2, 2009

midmadn wrote:

I have owned a Canon Selphy CP-200 and CP-400 and now use an Epson Picturemate 240.

No contest whatsoever if you want sharp saturated prints that make your jaw drop. Get the Epson.

The Selphy's I've owned as well as others I have seen just do not print sharp and colorfull. They are soft and muted.

That's not my experience, but I've never seen the output of the Epson.

I have an old Epson Stylus Photo 870 which clogs constantly and when it works produces very mediocre output. I wish Canon did the Selphy range in an 8x10 (or larger) version. As a previous post mentioned, the Selphy prints are waterproof and more rugged than an inkjet.
--

To Err is Human, To really foul things up you need a computer.

Lsimon
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
Selphy v. Picturemade
In reply to MisterBG, Nov 21, 2010

I'm looking to buy one of these for an elderly relative who is not very technically oriented. Are either of these appreciably easier to use?
--
Larry
Our Snapshots are at: http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads